1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny Smith: "Carmelo Anthony will win MVP"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Artesticles, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

This is what he's been stating over and over today on TNT tonight.

He's a great offensive player, no doubt. He can do it all. Shoot bombs, midrange game, drive to the hoop, and post up.

If there was a "Best Offensive Player" award, I'd give it to him... but most valuable? More valuable than LeBron James? More valuable than Wade or Kobe? I just don't see it.

Does Kenny have a legit argument here?

2. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

I guess it is a legit argument for now, but long term? Don't think so..

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

I think he will be in the discussion.

But at the end of the day I believe it will be LeBron.

4. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Carmelo Anthony is a top 5 player.

He may not be better than Kobe, Lebron, Wade, CP3, but if the Nuggets win 60+ games this season he has a chance at winning the MVP award for sure.

5. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

If Charles said this thread would have a thousand hits by now.

It depends on what the Nuggets record will be this year. He can win it.

6. srrm

srrm Member

I think it's possible and this is how I see it:

Of the true MVP candidates i.e. Kobe, Lebron, Chris Paul, DWade, Dwight Howard and Melo, I think Wade, Paul and Melo have the less talented players around the mvp candidate. However, we can still expect Chris Paul and Melo's teams to still go deep in the playoffs (not Dwayne Wade's team b/c the rest of the Heat players suck, hence eliminating Wade's mvp chances). I pick the Nuggets to go deeper than the Hornets so Melo pips Chris Paul in that sense.

You also have to take into account the overall numbers that each candidate puts up... I think Melo's pts will remain high, but the other categories will get better. If we see a change in Cleveland's offense and Lebron's numbers somehow decrease, then that leaves Melo an opening to get numbers similar to Kobe Bryant and Lebron.

(I don't know how to eliminate Dwight Howard other than the fact that Vince Carter will probably have damn good numbers on that team as well)

So from my original list that leaves Melo, Kobe, Lebron.
    At this point, it's whoever the fans like most/whoever wins most/whoever has the highest number... too hard to say.

That's how I think he's at least in the mix for the mvp award.

Depending on how the Blazers do, I think Brandon Roy will emerge as a possible mvp candidate too. I hope this happens, he's ridiculously good and will probably lead his team to the 2nd round at least.

7. durvasa

durvasa Member

He may win scoring crown, and his team may win close to 60 games. If the Cavs dip, and if Kobe paces himself this year and his numbers drop, then sure he has a shot at it.

But would he be most valuable, in actuality? Probably not. He doesn't do nearly as much for his team as a LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, or Chris Paul does for their's.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

He isn't even the MVP of his own team...

9. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

KS just tweeted this: Ok Carmelo will win MVP ... He will be asked to do most for team. Kobe has help, Duncan too old, lebrons team not as good, Wade wins!

I tend to agree with him especially since the Cavs look awful.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Carmelo is now a top 5 player in the nba. Not only is he one of the top offensive players, he has also become a great defender, I think he showed that in the playoffs last season. This guy is damn good.

11. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Member

If the Nuggets get 2nd or 3rd seed, I can easily see this happening. No one gives Carmelo any love so this is great for him.(recent SLAM cover : "stop hating on carmelo").

Other candidates

Kobe - lots of help
    Duncan , KG - Old
    Paul - Bad team
    LeBron - bad team
    Howard - lots of help

12. Francis 4 ever

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: @ people saying the cav's are a bad team. Are you kidding me? Two bad games and they are a bad team?

Melo makes just as much if not more of a case then Dwade. Lebron will win it because he is the face of the nba.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The Cavs are a bad "team." Besides Lebron, they are a bunch of crap. He alone makes them a contending team, but without him, they are terrible.

14. Landry92

Landry92 Member

Too early to say but he's a contender
    Too early to right D-Wade & DHoward .. James And Agent 0
    Ill think it will go to the guy that team has the best record ..

15. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

No wonder Melo told Chinese fans that he had consider China his second home. Chinese fans LOVESSSSS Melo.

Definitely a better scorer than CP3, Wade and Labron. But I also agree that he did not contribute as many as the other 3 (probably similar to Wade but definitely not CP3 and Lebron) on the court. Team record will very much determine where the crown drops. But he has to keep healthy and his mentality the entire season first.

16. HeWhoIsLunchbox

I'm not convinced about Melo's defense. His scoring is great and he's a very solid rebounder, though.

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

When the Billups trade was done, it only shows Carmelo requires a good Point Guard for him to succeed.

If anyone deserves MVP, it's Billups. He changed the Nuggets, not Carmelo. Carmelo hasn't done jack for the Nuggets until Billups came.

18. lalala902102001

I think that he's in the top three with Kobe and Lebron. Usually the best player from the team with the best record wins the MVP.

19. Francis 4 ever

Then this "bad team" knock is meaningless to the MVP talks. They are a better team than last year when he won it. If anything a "bad" team helps him. If he leads his "bad" team to the best record in the NBA then he is obviously more valuable than kobe leading his "too good" team to the best record, and way better than dwade leaning his "bad" team to a 500 record.

20. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I'm not going to sit here pointlessly arguing the merits of who should win the MVP in a thread about who will win it. As we've seen in the past, the two are hardly related. All I'll say is this; if the Nuggets get 60+ wins and Melo averages 27-30 ppg (both of which are very possible), lock it up, it's his. He's getting the votes.