1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Kenny.....shoots an impressive 39.9% from the field in his first year!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carlos Rogers, Apr 24, 2000.

1. Carlos Rogers

Carlos Rogers Member

Now Kenny is sort of confusing me. Correct me if I'm wrong but he's a Power Forward right? A 39.9% shooting Power Forward and grabs 6.1 blocks a game and is a poor defender......but look on the bright side he's got a quick step so he can shoot a wide open brick. I think sometimes we have a player that shoots like shaq does from the free throw line....but worst.......even Devin Gray shot better. What suprises me is yous all say he's so good. I agree he looked good for about 4 games espicaially against Portland and Atlanta but thats 2 games. I bet Matt Maloney had 2 good games. Honestly if any teams out there like him we should deal if he's worth somethin.......also I would like to mention........Los is averaged 53% can play D energetic can rebound when given minutes maybe all he needs is muscle but we have Kenny starting. Lucky it was only a Draft season. By the way sorry to all the Kenny fans just had to voice my opinion.

------------------
    Walt the Wizard Williams. "The aging Terrapin from Maryland"

2. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

I agree. KT gets way too much lenience simply because he's a rookie while Cato gets vilified. Even without the horrid 3-point percentage, KT is around 42% FGP. Cato doesn't have much more experience (110 games) than KT and shoots/dunks a much better percentage. Consider Cato's fewer shots, fewer turnovers and 2 blocks a game. KT isn't exactly an assist machine (1.6 APG) who deserves all this praise for his wonderful passing skills.

Oh, I forgot. Cato is 4" taller. Abuse away.

------------------

3. Calvin23

Calvin23 Member

6.1 blocks ain't bad though! [​IMG]

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And Duncan said he played impressive D on him. I can pull that quote. I'm pretty sure it is at the espn.com game recap.

I'm not sure where this bad D thing came from. OK...he's short and that has it's limitations. But I think he maintains sound enough defensive positioning to not be called "bad".

5. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Kenny's percentage is low because he launches threes and doesn't hit them. Over this offseason Rudy should work on his shot selection.

------------------
    THE DEAN HAS WRITTEN

6. 3pointer

3pointer Member

I totally agree w/heyp on the D issue , he has had more then enough success on D that we can actually call him a good defensive player...... better then Francis for sure ! if Duncan says so it must be good !

------------------
    Thanks Hakeem for all the memories and the 2 championships...
    The torch has been passed... Francis , the making of brand new
    great memories for us rocket fans !

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

'Carlos Rogers' is just mad that a rookie is starting ahead of him, even though he's rapidly approaching the age of 30 and has yet to make a mark in THIS league. Can you say JOURNEYMAN? Your bias against Kenny is apparent. If you know the game of basketball, you can see the things Kenny can do on the court. I could get into some theories as to why his FG percentage is this low in his ROOKIE year, but what's the point?

------------------
    "Okay KG, next time down, you give Cousin Billy his turn, then he'll give Uncle Joe his turn, then we'll give Shaq a turn."

-Rudy T, in the Dream Team 2000 huddle

8. TraJ

TraJ Member

Kenny is what some of us like to call a "rookie." He wasn't expected to get much playing time (Chuck, Massenburg, Cato, and Rogers would have all been considered ahead of him for minutes at power forward). He played on a team that bascially had five new starters (with Hakeem and Chuck out). Part of his problem was him jacking up the three (he's got to quite that). I too can occasionally hit the rim from three point range, but that doesn't mean I'm a three point shooter. Kenny's better at it than a lot of big men, but he still needs to give up on it. Having said that, Kenny has some remarkable skills. He may be undersized, but so was another guy that used to play for us (I think he got one rebound and one basket in his last game). I think the Rockets will end up regretting it if they let Kenny go (unless it's a deal you'd have to be an idiot not to make). Kenny was first team defense in college, and he was playing the opposing center. I think he just needs some time to develop. He's got good footwork and he can pass the ball. I don't expect him to be Tim Duncan or Chris Webber, but neither is he going to be Sean Rooks. I like Kenny and Carlos and hope that we can keep them both (and keep them healthy).

------------------

9. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I had this table up around the middle of the season. Now that the final stats are in, let's take a closer look. Earlier, Kenny was averaging fewer minutes and shooting 41.3% (which is bad enough in itself).

<BR CLEAR="all"><CENTER><TABLE BORDER ALIGN="center"><TR><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center">STATS</DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>MIN</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>FG%</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>3PT%</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>FT%</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>PTS</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>REB</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>AST</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>STL</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>TOs</CENTER></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>Thomas</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>25.0</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>39.9</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>26.2</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD VALIGN="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>66.0</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD VALIGN="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>8.3</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD VALIGN="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>6.1</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>1.6</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>0.75</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>1.6</CENTER></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>Chievous (R)</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>19.0</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>43.7</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>20.8</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>78.3</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>9.3</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>3.2</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>1.0</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>0.6</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>1.7</CENTER></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>Chievous (T)</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>16.6</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>45.2</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>25.0</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>76.1</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>8.1</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>2.7</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>0.9</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>0.6</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>1.4</CENTER></DIV></TD></TR></TABLE></CENTER>

How do they match up in a 48 minute comparison you ask?

<BR CLEAR="all"><CENTER><TABLE BORDER ALIGN="center"><TR><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center">STATS</DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>MIN</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>FG%</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>3PT%</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>FT%</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>PTS</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>REB</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>AST</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>STL</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>TOs</CENTER></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>Thomas</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>48.0</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>39.9</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>26.2</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD VALIGN="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>66.0</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD VALIGN="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>15.9</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD VALIGN="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>11.7</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>3.1</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>1.4</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>3.1</CENTER></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>Chievous (R)</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>48.0</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>43.7</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>20.8</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>78.3</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>23.4</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>8.0</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>2.4</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>1.5</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>4.2</CENTER></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>Chievous (T)</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>48.0</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>45.2</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>25.0</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>76.1</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>23.5</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>7.8</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>2.5</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>1.7</CENTER></DIV></TD><TD valign="middle"><DIV align="center"><CENTER>4.2</CENTER></DIV></TD></TR></TABLE></CENTER>

I don't like that argument about Thomas' FG% being so low, because he shoots 3-pters. Let's see which Rocket shoots more of their shots from the 3-pt line (With a minimum of 100 3-pt attempts):

Bullard - 52.06%
    Drew - 39.47%
    Williams - 38.33%
    Anderson - 28.92%
    Mobley - 28.74%
    Francis - 27.75%
    THOMAS - 22.98%

Anderson was the suprise to me....
    I thought he was a "slasher".

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

10. heypartner

Ahhh...not Chievous again.

He is one of the reasons you should never listen to my draft preditions.

Joe Smith is another
    then Kurt Thomas

11. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

Who in the hell is Chievous?

------------------

12. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Chievous=DREAMer [​IMG]

------------------
    I had amnesia once or twice.

13. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Like I said in my original post, he hit around 42% of his 2-pt attempts. For an "inside" guy, that's not good. Othella is not exactly the 2nd coming of Karl Malone and he hit better than 50% his rookie year. I'm not down on KT, but if you're going to knock Cato, take a hard look at KT as well.

------------------

14. haven

haven Member

1. KT doesn't have a 7 year deal for 42 million dollars.

2. KT has better moves and footwork

3. KT is younger

4. KT is a MUCH better passer

------------------

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

KT has the potential to be a STAR in the NBA.

He has great moves, great passing, and just needs to work on his finish.

I think a year in the weight room and getting involved in the offense earlier is all he needs to excel.

KT will be a 15 and 10 guy soon.

DaDakota

------------------

16. Carlos Rogers

Carlos Rogers Member

STAR's finish their moves. Did you see any stars ever make impressive moves to get a shot up and miss at least 68% of the time? I don't think so. By the way was this a guy who shot 57.7% in college? I thought he would have been way better than Othella. You know I been thinking about all the 6'8 Power Forward that have been in the NBA and may-be Kenny isn't the worst, just maybe the 2nd worst shooter behind Dennis Rodman but Rodman played great D and averaged around 14 boards. Sign Rodman.........ummmmm.....NO!

------------------
    Walt the Wizard Williams. "The aging Terrapin from Maryland"

17. heypartner

Oh no...................

the 15/10 thing again.

I'm not giving much effort this time

DaDakota...you started it...please now
    list every 15/10 in the last 4 years. NBA.com can help....anyone!!

And tell me how many of 15/10s aren't actually

SUPERSTARS!!

this mythical 15/10...

give my 12/10
    or
    15/8 out of KT and he's a keeper!

btw: once DaDakota rises up and actually
    gives us these 4yr figures...you will
    all see why I am so jazzed on Fortson as

the "prototypical" (whatever)

13/11 guy!!!

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited April 27, 2000).]

18. heypartner

or can I have the prototypical

9/17 guy like Rodman!!

There are no role playing 15/10 players
    in the nba anymore...stop that stereotype!!

19. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Derrick Chievous was a former 1st round pick by the HOuston Rockets in the late 80's(or maybe early 90's). Anyways, I just remember him being a 6'7" SF who did nothing in the league. Most famous for the wide open mouth look while shooting his free throws.

------------------

20. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

Thank you, heypartner!

A 15/10 guy is extremely rare and would be a borderline all-star player. With our offense, I'd be more than happy with a 7/10/1.5 (bpg, that is), or even a 10/10 with solid D.

I see KT giving us 12/10 with above average, though not exceptional, D. He's got a nice array of moves and, if he works on his finishing, we're going to see the KT critics get really quiet in the future (case in point, there aren't nearly as many critics of Walt, as there were at the beginning of this season).

And why does everyone think that KT is too undersized? I believe the average height at PF is 6'9" or 6'10", so he'll be just fine at 6'8" (a lot taller that the Chuckster) and won't be shoved around very easily at 260 lbs.

Everybody repeat this mantra:

Kenny Thomas was only a rookie; he will improve.

Now breath and let the evil early offseason energy be released . . .

------------------