1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keep the #5 & #15 or ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by okierock, May 1, 2002.

Tags:
?

Should we keep our picks

1. Keep our picks

15 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. Trade both and move up

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. Trade picks for Veteran

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  4. Do whatever it takes to lose these fat contracts (Rice, Moochie, MoT)

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  1. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

What do you think, should we keep our picks and add inexperienced talent or trade em for ??

I think we should keep our picks and select the best player available at each pick. This is a deep draft and we could use help all over. The posibility of getting the 5th best player in this draft is pretty exciting and with the quality of programs picking ahead of us we might get the best player in this draft.

Most of the lets pick up so and so with this pick trade or that pick trade involve R. Lewis or Odom both of which have character questions/superiority complexes, motivation issues. This is not what we need plus they would be very pricey and we all know what an overpaid loser adds to our team. Teams don't let good players go, thats why FA aquisitions are dicey at best.

The only way I trade these picks is if some sucker will take Rice's contract, give us a lesser pick in return.

2. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

Nicely put. I agree on this issue. We should draft and groom the best available player. I do feel, however, that we have to try to unload those high salaries, somehow, and that we need to add 1 or 2 experienced players to our young roster, in addition to our draft, that would help us during the developmental time of the many youngins.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Okie, there's no option for sending the #15 to Memphis to pay the Francis debt? Can I do a write-in?

4. okierock

Uh yeah I guess so... Not sure what that is but as long as its not painfull I don't mind.

5. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Am I the only one that doesn't think the draft is that deep this year?

6. german rocketfan

I hope that we package the picks along with a player and trade them for a vet!I think we should get someone who helps now,who knows playing in the NBA!We have enough young players who could develop (Francis still developing,Griffin,Torres,Brown to a good backup guard,Morris,perhaps Thomas)!Let's trade #5 and Cato and KT to Memphis for Lorenzen Wright and Shane Battier!Grab Marcus with #15!new rotation
    C-Wright;Marcus;Griffin
    F-Taylor;Griffin;Marcus
    F-Battier;Rice;Griffin
    G-Mobley;Norris;Rice
    G-Francis;Norris;Brown

7. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

pick BUTLER at #5 and trade JAMISON for MOBLEY & RICE and trade CATO & #15 (& 2nd round pick?) for KANDI

PG: Francis
    SG: Butler (Like Paul Pierce at SG, hopefully)
    SF: Jamison
    PF: Griffin
    C: Olowokandi

or trade #5 & RICE for ODOM and trade CATO & #15 (& 2nd round pick?) for KANDI

SG: Mobley
    SF: Odom

or trade #5 & RICE for LEWIS & 2nd round pick and trade CATO & #15 (& 2nd round pick?) for KANDI

SF: Lewis

or Pick WOODS at #5 and trade CATO & #15 (& 2nd round pick?) for KANDI

SF: Woods

8. Howyalikemenow

Sorry to bust your bubble, but Memphis would never take that trade. First off, they love their rookies of Gasol and Battier. And they just don't need another PF, since they have Gasol. Center... they have about equal in that department too.

It just won't go.

9. german rocketfan

First of all,welcome to the board Howyalikemenow!!!!

I know this will never happen,it's late in Germany and I'm already dreaming ;) !

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

No you're not - this draft is f**kin crap w/ very few NBA players to be had past slot 7. This draft might even be worse than '00.

11. okierock

You want to talk about crap? Look at the free agent crop. There are a lot of tall players to be had in this draft and you can't teach height. And if they bust you aren't out 50 million.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

To make worse, the Rocks only would have an interest in Ming and Woods in the top 6, without trading Francis or Mobley or Griffin.

Jason Williams or Dajuan Wagner would either have to take Steve or Cat's starting job or they would be a bust.

Drew Gooden or Chris Wilcox would have to compete with Eddie for the Rock's future starting 4 spot.

Since the Rocks are not looking to replace Francis, Mobley, or Griffin, Ming and Woods are the two players they are looking to draft, both of which may be gone by their 5/6th pick.

13. okierock

I hope the Rockets management is not this short sighted.

Ming and Woods are IMO the biggest questions in this list and picking any of the other 4 except maybe Wilcox IMO would be a pretty good bet. Having talent is not a problem. The two positions we were weak at this season were PG and PF. The two PF listed, Gooden and Wilcox, actually like to play under the basket on offense. What a concept.

And you failed to list Butler which is my pick at five even if Woods and Wilcox are available IMO he is a safer bet that could contribute soon.

You would have to gamble on Ming if given the chance though.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's funny, a couple of years ago I noticed that every year people critiicized the draft class as weak. Then, Francis, Brand, Odom, Davis, Miller, et al started looking like great pickups. After that, it seems, people think every draft class is deep. There's hope yet: I've seen some criticize next year's draft class. :)

15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this is an interesting draft.

There's really 2 good tiers-in the top tier, you have your Ming, Williams, Woods, Gooden, Wagner, then a level of Wilcox, Butler, Stoudemire, etc. etc., combined, there's about 15-17 good players, then it drops off in another tier, where guys could go anywhere from late teens to 2nd round. So, it's not a good draft to have a couple of 20ish picks, they're not much better than a pair of early 2nds, but 2 top 15 picks is not bad in this draft.

16. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I looked up the players drafted in hte 4-6 range for the last ten years...

01 Eddy Curry, Jason Richardson, Shane Battier
    00 Marcus Fizer, Mike Miller, Demarr Johnson
    99 Lamar Odom, Jonathan Bender, Wally Szczerbiak
    98 Antwan Jamison, Vince Carter, Robert Traylor
    97 Antonio Daniels, Tony Battie, Ron Mercer
    96 Stephan Marbury, Ray Allen, Antoine Walker
    95 Rasheed Wallace, Kevin Garnett, Bryant Reeves
    94 Donyelle Marshall, Juwan Howard, Sharon Wright
    93 Jamal Mashburn, Isiah Rider, Calbert Cheaney
    92 Jim Jackson, Laphonso Ellis, Tom Gugliata

Obviously ther is some risk, but that is a generally pretty good pool of talent. I was in favor of trade for established talent, but I am now waffeling tword holding our picks. both of them. 15 can be a project big man, and we will just take our chances with giving the Grizz our pick next year.

17. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Do whatever it takes to get Ming!

18. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

I really doubt the Grizzlies will give up Lorenzen Wright or Battier.