1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The_Yoyo, Oct 8, 2011.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I have been sort of MIA on the boards lately not that people really took notice and it is still the offseason sadly so there isnt much to talk about but I want to talk about how great Karma can be. and the usual TL;DR etc

So I was offered a new job about a month ago and I started it about 1.5 weeks ago after giving the standard two week notice at my previous job. I love my new job as I am doing what I really want to do and learning a lot and all within a rapidly growing company (they've hired like 5 additional people since I started there and have added close to 50 new employees in the last 6 months)

As for my last job I hated it I had to deal with a lot of BS and a hostile work environment and worst of all in a place where it was clear that there was nothing left to offer for my career and if anything now was hurting my career. My former boss was a good guy - I say was of course - the last two years of my work life there was really bad..there were several things I found out that my boss did to more or less keep me there in the last two months which prompted me to look even harder for a new job.

besides the ridiculous work affair he had and is still having (here) I found out that he has been repeatedly throwing me under the bus for his mistakes which was the reason why the owner was not approving any requests for pay raises. I found out because the owner was lecturing me one day back in July about how I cant treat a particular client in that manner and I told him I've never dealt with that client in my life and that he could call the client and ask. Its not like I have a common first name where the client wouldnt at the very least recognize it when told. And sure even the client said that they have never even heard of me and the only person they've ever worked with was my boss. The owner then just said to himself "I wonder why he would say you were dealing with them" The owner is a 76 yeard old man who is still pretty sharp in some ways but very dense in other ways.

That was it for me so I gave my two weeks after getting the new job and my former boss took his sweet time to find a replacement but he did and it left me 3 days to train the guy. Most of the stuff I did I had to document for auditing purposes but there was some things I did not document partially out of being lazy and partially just for my own job security I figured if they were to let me go all of a sudden they wouldnt be able to without having issues from the clients so at least I would give myself some time to plan instead of being told to just go home one day.

So I spent the 3 days basically showing my replacement the ins and outs of the job told him the stuff I didnt document how to do I asked him he may want to write this stuff down since I didnt document it and he said he didnt think it was necessary and he could remember it pretty easily (to his credit he was a pretty smart kid)

All through the 3 days I was training my boss did his best to take jabs at me ranging from my work performance, the rockets and even my weight (though while I am still overweight I have lost a decent amount in the past year). There was plenty of stuff I could have said and talked back but I decided to take the high road and not say anything since I was out of there in a few days and it really wouldnt matter and I figured most of the stuff he was saying was stemming from his own frustration and anger that I was leaving since it would mean he would actually have to work close to 40 hours a week now and not the 20-25 he was pulling currently.

So I put in about 5-6 hours on my last day the owner got me this humongous goodbye and good luck cake and everyone in the company wished me luck and got me a card and all it was nice but my boss made it a point to tell me that he had nothing to do with the cake or anything and that it was all the owners idea...now I am never one to enjoy people singing to me for whatever reason i feel its not necessary but its the thought that counts of course and I was touched by the thought and i didnt understand why he felt he had to distance himself away from that thought.

I couldnt wait to get out of there and I had long made up my mind that I would never ever contact my boss ever again for any reason nor anyone else that could be deemed "upper management"

No less than 30 minutes after I left I got a phone call from him that I let go to voicemail, I got two more voicemails and several texts - I deleted the voicemails didnt even listen to them and glossed over the texts the texts were basically him demanding me I call him back.

So of course I didn't call him and then my friend calls me and tells me that after I finished my exit paperwork and left the guy I was training to replace me quit saying he didnt think the job was the right fit for him. I couldnt believe it I started laughing cuz when it came down to it my boss didnt know 1/2 the stuff he was supposed to do and I was really running the majority of the IT dept and he was going to be f'ed now. Over the course of the next couple of days I got several more texts and it was funny to see the progression of the texts: First they were demanding and anger filled like I would respond to that, then came the kiss -up polite texts and lastly came the texts that tried to guilt trip me I could not stop laughing at all of these because the guy is so two faced he sends me this "i thought we were friends" texts then tells people at work that the next time he sees me he is going to kick my ass.

Now the clients that I did work with they loved me and asked for me personal info to keep in touch and so I did and one of them emailed me saying that her boss is livid with my former boss for f'ing up a process that cost them thousands of dollars in pay and set them back about 2 days since they had to have their team spend 2 days fixing the mistakes he did. She said its to a point where this client is thinking of terminating my former company as a business partner. Now the client that emailed me asked me why I didnt train my boss and I told her the entire story and she basically said "I dont blame you serves him right"

So from what I was told last night from my friend the owner is basically forcing my boss to be in the office at least 10 hours a day trying to fix all the mistakes he made and learn everything right and do everything right otherwise he wont have a choice but to find someone who will do it right and actually be at the office. Again I was told this that the owner said that he wont approve my boss hiring someone else to help right now since there is no one to train the new person properly until my boss figures out what he is doing.

So basically the guy is working around 50 if not more hours a week, miserable now and while I dont like to take pleasure in the misery of others I cant help but smile when I texted him back "Karma is a b****"

-- as for myself my new job is great I got close to a 30% paybump from this last job and I learning a crap ton already and get to do a lot of interesting and innovative things from an IT perspective -- the downside? I am literally busy from the time I come in to the time I leave so it doesnt really leave me any time to browse/post/reply on CF I have to do that only on my lunch break or when I get home from work :(

so thats the end of my super long story just felt like writing it down and now its time for me to go back to my saturday afternoon chores.

3 people like this.
  2. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Good for you, Yoyo. I was wondering how the new gig, the new car, and life in the 30's was treating you. Karma is indeed a b****, and I know this because I have a dog named Karma.

I firmly believe that good things happen to good people, and asshats get what's coming to them eventually. Sounds like the comeuppance couldn't have happened to a better guy.

The_Yoyo FTW!

1 person likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yoyo, usually I would say TL;DR but I did actually read it all and sounds like it serves your former boss right - from your description, he sounds like a jerk. Good luck with your new job and all the best.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

the new job is great as I mentioned and I really like my new car as well I have been getting several compliments from people about it and most of the time they find it hard to believe its a kia...as for life in the 30s I dont know yet I still have a year of being an irresponsible 20 something left in me :)

ATW - yeah he was actually a pretty stand up guy up until he started his affiar 2 years ago and then he went from being a good boss and good person to a total ass. I have never lost so much respect for one person in my life before i am more disappointed than upset/angry at him than anything.

oh yeah and the ironic thing is that I am facing him this week in the (former) work fantasy league..lol

5. Dei

Dei Member

WTF man?

6. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

No such thing as Karma but great story, glad you're in the right position now.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Good for you, Yoyo!

No such thing as Karma for white people. But Yoyo is Indian so Karma works in his life.

8. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

I give you major props for trying to handle this in a professional way. Everything you've done is completely aboveboard, and yet you still managed to make sure your boss is f'ed. Well done, sir.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Lol at I thought we were friends and I'm going to kick your ass.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

What a dick.
    Don't you need decent people skills to.. you know... manage people?
    Great that he got his ass kicked by karma.

11. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

I'm sure it's a good feeling knowing that the petty actions of one person just verifies the fact you made a better decision moving on.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Your old company deserves it for the way they treated you...from your boss being a stereotypical Office Space type bad boss to the owner not running his business properly.

It's one of those stories that is as old as time. One guy holds the whole joint (or relationship) up, doesn't get recognized, leaves, and things fall apart.

I'm really glad that you got something better, man. You deserve it. And there's no better way to say it than how you put it- Karma is a b****.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

tl;dr... but I read it anyway :)

So how did your former boss get to the position he's in right now without knowing half the stuff required? The story will be better when he gets laid off... hopefully soon.

14. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

tl;dr

red, green, and gold

15. conquistador#11

What a punk your former boss is. How dare he say something about our beloved rockets! Karma wins again. Wishing you the best in your new job.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Awesome story bro. When I quit my old job, they had to hire two more people to replace me.

What new and innovative things are you learning? Nothing specific if you don't want to spill too much. Or shoot me an email.

17. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Haha that's right. Do black people get karma?

18. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Yay for Karma!!

Sounds like he got exactly what he deserved.

I've not been around much either, but that's mainly because no basketball no fun! :)

Though there is a bunch of "pro" basketball being played in KY this month... you should come visit we can go watch Chuck and Terrence play in the UK vs Villains game! LOL

19. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

That. Is. Awesome. !!!

Congrats yoyo! Nothing feels better than getting away from a job that makes you unhappy.

20. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

He took jabs at The Rockets?!? :mad: That's so uncalled for :p