1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thegary, Dec 6, 2005.

1. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Jets' Bad Karma Forces One Friendship to Wait
    By KAREN CROUSE
    Published: December 6, 2005

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y., Dec. 5 - More than once over the past several weeks, Indianapolis Colts Coach Tony Dungy has reached for the telephone to call Herman Edwards, the Jets' coach...

"Don't call me," Dungy recalled Edwards saying, "because we have bad karma over here. We don't want you to catch it over the phone."

and

Knicks Are Facing an Identity Crisis
    Andrew Gombert for the New York Times

It is a constant juggling act for Coach Larry Brown as he tries to develop five young players while attempting to keep his veterans productive and the Knicks on track.

By HOWARD BECK
    Published: December 6, 2005

For a telling snapshot of just how befuddling and karmically adrift the Knicks are, one only needed to track their steps this past weekend. On Friday, they lost to Coach Larry Brown's former team. On Saturday, they waived one of their strongest perimeter defenders. On Sunday, unable to guard a pair of great perimeter scorers, the Knicks lost again.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/06/sports/basketball/06knicks.html

i was reading the times on the subway this morning and two articles on the front of the sports page invoke the concept of karma in relation to teams playing poorly. it got me thinking, why not use a christian term and what is the christian equivalent? first of all i think they used karma incorrectly in both cases. karma is not akin to a disease, something you can catch. no, karma is a velocity, it's where you been combined with where you're going. i know this is an extremely simplistic definition but i would compare it with "you reap what you sew" or "you've made your bed, now lie in it". i think its misuse is indicative of the problem of bringing religion into the mainstream, it gets bastardized. beyond that, what do you guys think of incorporating other faiths into this context, does the sporting world hate christmas and therefore america or is this a larger trend that you are okay with?

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

If bad perimeter defense is indicative of bad karma, Rockets management must have killed Mike James's parents or something...

3. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Well the sporting world would probably say "it's a sin not to cover that guy" etc., when they don't actually mean it's an offense to god (unless it's the Cowboys)

But you're right. Most people here don't really understand karma. They think it means things bounce back to you, or it just implies luck.

I don't know if there is a Christian equivalent. That's why there are books like "Why do bad things happen to good people?". They don't understand the nature of things, they don't see that there is a lot of karma beyond their control.

4. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I was sitting here wondering why so many writers use a simplified (or simplistic) evocation of 'karma' as a literary device, but for some reason all I can call to mind is an image of Jeff Van Gundy eating a plate of shrimp.

5. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

I agree. Karma is often used as a substitute for irony. It just sorta helps put a sense of direction/narrative structure into a series of events. It's just a natural thing human beings do...

6. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

They're mistaking "Karma" with "luck".

7. thegary

yessir, shrimps are good. i lik'em karma-battered.

8. mulletman

mulletman Member

i doubt that Herman Edwards has been exposed to Jainism, but its view of Karma is slightly different from that of Hinduism, Buddhism, and Sikhism (and other religions originating in the indian subcontinent). For followers of Jainism, Karma is an actual material subtstance or mass of energy that can enter the body and bind to the soul.

heres a very simplified view of the Jain concept of Karma:

http://www.umich.edu/~umjains/jainismsimplified/chapter08.html

9. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Instant Karma's gonna get you
    Gonna knock you right on the head
    You better get yourself together
    Pretty soon you're gonna be dead
    What in the world you thinking of
    Laughing in the face of love
    What on earth you tryin' to do
    It's up to you, yeah you
    :)

10. Cesar^Geronimo

Karma is actually against Christian teaching.

As Christians if we follow God we are told to expect hardship and rejection from the world. The only bounce back we are guaranteed is in the next life.

11. MR. MEOWGI

That's not Karma. Jesus taught that you reap what you sough. That's karma.

12. rhester

The Bible reference is Galatians 6:7-8 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. 8For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

Karma seems to have several variations, as I try to understand.

Karma does not deal with a personal God and it does not include the idea of flesh, Spirit and life everlasting.

The idea of actions and consequences is certainly covered in Christian theology but not at all in the way I understand Karma.

Karma is not a Christian concept- action/ choices having consequences is.

Cesar-Geronimo is accurate in his statement and it shows that a Christian worldview includes suffering in this life and future blessings for those who follow Christ.

Jesus has promised Christians trouble in this life and heaven after death.

The sufferings a Christian experiences are temporal sufferings. Paul said his outward man suffered, but his inward spirit was blessed. A Christian experiences inward peace, joy and love even though outwardly there are trials, troubles and persecutions.

It is a wonderful trade.

That is the program as I understand it.

13. MR. MEOWGI

http://www.buddhanet.net/fundbud9.htm

In its most basic sense, the Law of Karma in the moral sphere teaches that similar actions will lead to similar results. Let us take an example. If we plant a mango seed, the plant that springs up will be a mango tree, and eventually it will bear a mango fruit. Alternatively, if we plant a Pong Pong seed, the tree that will spring up will be a Pong Pong tree and the fruit a Pong Pong. As one sows, so shall one reap. According to one’s action, so shall be the fruit. Similarly, in the Law of Karma, if we do a wholesome action, eventually we will get a wholesome fruit, and if we do an unwholesome action eventually we will get an unwholesome, painful result. This is what we mean when we say that causes bring about effects that are similar to the causes.

------

Do Christians really disagree with this? It makes perfect sense to me...

14. mulletman

mulletman Member

from the website your linked, i think this is an important part of the meaning of karma that many people miss:

15. rhester

No as you explained above- that is also the Christian concepts of choices/ consequences.- There are some addition variables of importance in Christian theology, but the essence of meaning is the same.

16. Sishir Chang

I think this comes down again to the difference between Christianity being a monotheistic religion and Buddhism being essentially a no-theistic religion. Under the Christian world view God is the mediator of cause and affect so while you may suffer in this life God will reward you in the next. As I said in another thread Buddhism doesn't view there being a mediator that grants our rewards or punishments but that the Universe is run under the law of cause and effect. Actions have consequences so what we percieve as being bad acts have bad consequences.

17. rhester

That I have learned, right here. Thanks

I might add that as a Christian what often men perceive as a good consequence is actually a bad consequence in God's view. And what a person may see as a bad consequence would actually be a good consequence for a Christian.

That is one reason I question the reasoning of men trying to judge for themselves 'good and bad'- in my opinion leaving this up to human interpretation has lead to great tragedy, I just read about a Hindu widow who was burned alive because of a Hindu tradition called 'Sati' it was explained that this would prevent the Karma of being born again as a woman.

I do not understand why a Hindu widow would be burned alive for Karma? I know that is not a Buddhist teaching but I have heard of this being done in India even though it is against Indian laws.

18. thegary

interesting but in my experience, after intensely enjoying particularly spicy madras cuisine the sthiti of the accompanying karman vargana are released soon after in one hellacious ****ty. explain that.

19. Sishir Chang

I would be hesitant to judge a religion based upon the barbaric actions of some practitioners. People accused of being witches were once burned on the supposed authority of a Christian God yet it would mistake to judge Christianity on that.

You're right that we as humans are imperfect in our perception and sense of judgement. The most we can do is try to seek to understand what is perfect judgement whether it be God's or the Universe's.

20. thegary

i think the idea of perfection is a christian one. renaissance painters sought it, and the illusion of reality, through perspective. other religions have art works that are far more about symbolism.