1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Karl Malone on the 90's Rockets and Hakeem Olajuwon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm the guy at the All-Star Game asking every All-Star and participant Rockets-related questions. Here's Karl Malone on Hakeem Olajuwon and the Utah Jazz matchups with the 90's Rockets.

[youtube]QIX1_huDQAY[/youtube]

5 people like this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What a great guy! So humble and respectful. Class act. :)

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The hate against Malone was always stupid and seemingly fabricated. I noticed that early on. Never understood the vitriol against Utah that I only noticed on this forum and nowhere else.

1 person likes this.
  4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why Morey no sign him?

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

whoa...you're at the all-star game doing interviews. And you got to ask Karl Malone a question about the '90s

That's so awesome.

Are you going to ask anyone about Lin?

If you see Barkley, ask him about his last game, and whether he stills has the backboard we gave him. And thank him for rehabbing so he could do one more game.

6. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

You're kidding right?

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Uh, Utah was a dirty team during the Malone-Stockton era. Just ask David Robinson who was literally knocked unconscious by a Malone elbow during a game.

8. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

The dream the best who ever did it

9. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  10. Joe Gent

Joe Gent Member

You know for a few seconds he was reliving the memories in his head during that interview. good stuff.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

For me, this started when he was in college. Rice played a game against Louisiana Tech. He elbowed a fan-favorite backup for Rice in the face, crushing his face and the kid never played again. While he was bleeding profusely on the floor, Malone's coach lectured Malone to show some concern and go back to apologize.

So, the hate isn't stupid and fabricated, and it started before he was a Jazz.

Here's a thread our own cf.net member (ricealum) maintained called "Malone is a menace" documenting all the times he injured players

http://www.makingpages.org/hoops/Malone.danger.html

Yeah, so maybe you only here this at cf.net, but that doesn't mean it is fabricated.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Boom... Clutch that was awesome -- well done!

13. ryandoc

ryandoc Member

Still hate him... But this was great! Thx, Clutch

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

LOL

The topic title had me imagining Karl playing next to Dream.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Calling Boki. Calling Boki.

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Other posters already touched on Malone.

Also, the game clock situation. Not Malone's fault, but surely a stain on Utah.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Malone is and always will be an *******, as far as I'm concerned. Yes, it's incredible that Clutch now has this kind of access. For the tens of thousands of members who were not around for so many years, that access is something we could only dream of here in the past. Yes, Malone said some highly complimentary things about Dream and the Rockets, but I can't imagine ever changing my opinion of him. Sorry, Freak.

Clutch, you're blowin' my mind with this stuff! I love it. Hell, I love hearing Malone's comments. I just will never think of him differently than I always have. Gotta say, though, that while I didn't hate McHale nearly as much as Malone when they played, I have changed my opinion of Kevin McHale since he became coach. Go figure!

18. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Still a scumbag who deserved to retire ringless

19. Anticope

Anticope Member

Short shorts was the one I hated the most but I won't give Malone a pass either. Even today when we play the Jazz there's just something about that team and the way they play that I can't stand.

20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You can tell that Malone really meant what he said about Hakeem being one of the greatest to ever play the game. It was really heartfelt and he had a little grin that kind of says to me that he really thought Hakeem was powerful and it made him better playing to against him. All this talk about the Mt. Rushmore of basketball and I don't think Hakeem has been mentioned once, you can understand why he said these young guys just don't understand.