1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just How Huge is the Howard Signing for the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

After reading this great article by Zach Lowe http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/67894/dwights-flight-and-what-weve-learned-from-free-agency-so-far, it just hit me that we could possibly be the best destination for free-agent-to-be superstars from here on out now that we've added Dwight Howard on our team.

Take this quote from Zach's article..

"But Houston isn’t necessarily the best example of the value of being ultra-active even when it appears inertia might do. That would be the Warriors, who entered free agency hopelessly capped out, short on depth, and frighteningly reliant on Andrew Bogut’s body. Bob Myers, the Warriors GM, understood both the fragility of Golden State’s upward trajectory and the fact that any team — even one with zero cap flexibility — could inject itself into the Howard sweepstakes.

Superstar players can force their way anywhere. Teams with cap space have an edge, since there’s no mess for them, and the new CBA has basically eliminated the financial advantage players get from sign-and-trade transactions. But sign-and-trades still help teams on the verge of losing their own star free agents, and the Warriors understood that if Howard told the Lakers “I’m taking my farts to Golden State,” the Lakers would have had an incentive to construct some sort of deal sending him there.

And so they tried, and they came close to winning. Other teams could and should have done the same; the media mocked Danny Ainge when it leaked that Boston had called Howard’s camp to gauge his interest in a sign-and-trade there, but that is absolutely the right approach. Take the Wizards, with two large expiring contracts (Emeka Okafor, Trevor Ariza), two very intriguing young assets (Bradley Beal, Otto Porter), a biggish market, and a star-level point guard still below Howard in the NBA’s pecking order — an important thing for Howard’s sensitive ego. What’s to lose in reaching out to Howard as the Warriors did?

Or what about Chicago, once a rumored Howard trade destination? They’ve got one big expiring (Luol Deng), an All-Star center on a good contract (Joakim Noah), an extra pick courtesy of the Bobcats, a big market, a knockout young asset in Jimmy Butler, and a superstar point guard ready to devour the league again. The Bulls are over the luxury tax “apron,” making it harder for them to build a sign-and-trade, but it’s doable. Did they try?"

Sure, it pays to have tons of cap space, but without an existing talented roster nor a solid foundation, you won't be an attractive destination for free agent stars. Just look what happened to Dallas and Atlanta.

Enter 2014 free agency sweepstakes.

If LeBron James becomes a free agent next summer, we will be one of the biggest threats to acquire his services. Yes i know, odds are, he will stay in Miami but just hear me out.

If you were LeBron, would you rather stay and roll with a Chris Bosh and 32-year old Dwayne Wade with nagging injuries or join forces with arguably the best center/shooting guard combo in the league in Dwight Howard and James Harden?

Cap room you ask?

Well, if the Warriors, who were capped out this off-season gave you the biggest scare in the Dwight sweepstakes then don't tell me we won't be a threat to Miami once LeBron explores free agency. If the Warriors managed to easily unload seldom used Biedrins and Jefferson and their $20mil combined salary then don't tell me we won't be able to deal Asik and Lin's expiring contracts.

One thing is for certain, Dwight Howard coming here to join forces with James Harden is that huge. Not only are we one of the potential championship contenders now but it also makes Houston one of the best, if not the best, free agent destinations in the entire NBA.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

No question the Rockets are a premier destination for free agents now.

The key will be for Morey to continue to keep "cap flexibility" to be able to pounce on opportunities. Maybe things break right again and guys like Love or Aldridge are available.

This is exactly why Morey won't make any "rash" decisions. He will continue to be calculating in his moves. He will continue to maintain that cap flexibility to take advantage of opportunities while at the same time adding value to the roster.

3. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Not sure what is meant by "cap flexibility" since we are technically capped out right now. That being said, good post OP. I think you're right -- we are in the mix for a lot now. Dare to dream.

4. CKent

CKent Member

Lebron already has two and Miami will be heavily favored to win a 3rd next year. If he left that situation for greener pastures (except for maybe Cleveland) he would be viewed as the ultimate mercenary. I don't see him going in that direction. I think the best we could hope for is the team getting old and crumbling around him after he re-ups.

5. pwnyxpress

I actually agree. LBJ cares about his legacy, but it changes a bit now that he has 2 rings. He wants to continue to maximize winning but without going through The Decision again. People have just stopped insulting him behind his back and are again taking the time to notice how awesome he is at basketball.

Pat Riley is pretty smart though. I imagine that he'll actually start moving players like Bosh soon, for value, and try to continue to build around LBJ-Wade. Those two, imo, will stay, and Wade might even come back after this contract ends in a few yrs for 'pennies on the dollar'.

6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

fart jokes, ha

7. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

The Warriors were also capped out this summer but that didn't stop them from signing Igoudala and making a run at Dwight. We will be capped out next summer but Lin and Asik will be on expiring contracts by then. "Assets".

8. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

We're a top destination RIGHT NOW, like, right this minute. But a lot can happen in the course of a season. Dwight Howard's back could snap in twain. James Harden could be kidnapped by beard poachers. Who knows. Let's not start stroking ourselves just yet. But on July 8, 2013, we're set up pretty nicely.

Bring on Decision 2014.

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I hope that isn't the way it pans out. The NBA won't even be fun if the championship just goes wherever Lebron decides to play that season.

Imagine if Michael Jordan just jumped ship from Chicago to Utah to play with Stockton and Malone then Houston to play with Hakeem and Clyde then Phoenix to play with Barkley and KJ then San Antonio to play with Duncan and Robinson - etc. It would be ridiculous.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yup, that's it! A revolving door of "short contracts" that can be moved.

11. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

The Howard Signing was 6'11, 265 lbs huge.

12. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

I used only LeBron as an example for free agents to come. Point is, we are now a premiere destination in the NBA. Yes, most people would say they would rather have the Durant and Westbrook combo but for me, a top guard and center combo is much more ideal, especially for players and free agents like LeBron.

13. pwnyxpress

Sorry, that wasn't my point. The poster above me said we should retain our "cap flexibility" and I had no idea what he meant. We don't have that much flexibility enough. It is true GSW had little and pulled off a trade, and we can be in a similar situation, but was unclear as to what we were attempting to retain.

I guess all cap flexibility then means is to avoid long, cumbersome contracts w/ bad players. Oh man, I should hope Morey knows to do that lol.

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

What is huge about the Dwight signing is, as Zach correctly pointed out, when healthy he is a top 3 PLAYER in the NBA.

Not "center", "player".

As excited as most people here are right now, you people are not nearly excited enough.

Harden was the player that changed the direction of the franchise. But to get the franchise to it's destination, the guy carrying the bulk of that burden will be Dwight.

RAPM supports this:

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/

As the last few years Dwight and Lebron have flip flopped rankings as the BEST player in the NBA.

Please let that sink in for a second.

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

16. corby

corby Contributing Member

17. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

True. That's exactly why things like "Player option" is a big turn off to Morey. He's always one step ahead in terms of contracts and numbers.

18. AFS

AFS Member

Lebron would be a perfect answer to our hole at PF. I doubt he leaves Miami, though.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

I guess I could be convinced to trade Parsons if LeBron is signing with us. :grin:

20. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

His season with the Lakers left a foul taste in people's mouths. And most folks tend to forget how great he is just because of what they've seen for 1 year. I consider it as a fluke. Coming off major surgery, nagging shoulder tear, and just a bad fit in LA. I truly believe that Dwight will be back to his dominant self with us and can't help but salivate at the thought that he would be doing this as a member of the Houston Rockets. Still think it hasn't fully sunk in yet but come regular season or when i start seeing him on the court donning rocket red, i will be the happiest fan in the world. ;)