1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just a thought on next year's draft....

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by SuperS32, Jun 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

I think the Rockets should try and trade their next year #1 while it still has some value, maybe even trade their second round pick as well to try and move up in this draft. It seems like this BS age limit Stern wants to implement will probably pass, and that would make next year's draft resemble the 2000 draft. All those HS kids nad Euro kids won't be able to bump older European and College Seniors down, so there will be second round talent where we pick in the first round. Just a thought

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

You know the prevailing opinion is that the potential age limit is providing a lot of depth in this years draft. But I just don't see it. A lot of the Euro players are reported to be pulling out. And some of the ones that are staying put are already 19+ years old so it doesn't matter if they decided to pull out, because they would be eligible for next years' draft regardless.

And there's a few high schoolers in the draft, but not more than any other year. And the top HS prospect, Gerald Green is already 19, so he's not staying in the draft because he's afraid of the age limit.

I think this "age limit is fueling the draft" idea is a myth. If you check the draft boards, you'll find that it's just not true. According to this mock draft: http://www.draftexpress.com/mock.php?y=2005 there are a total of five 18 year olds projected to go in the first and second round. That sounds about as much as they usually have.

If this class happens to be deep it just means that there is a lot of talent in this years class, not because a lot of kids are afraid of an age limit and flooding the draft.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I think you're thinking right. It could be a good idea to trade up into this strong draft, by giving up our picks in next year's weaker draft (the 30th pick? ;) )

I would really like to get up to at least 13 or 14. But it will have to be an 'on the clock' deal because you would need to know exactly who you are getting, not that you ever really know what your getting ala Eddie Griffin.

Say you think Tiago Splitter or Fran Vazquez can play the PF for the bulk of the Yao/T-mac years and one of them is still on the board when Minnesota is on the clock at 14. It would probably be worth the #24 this year and our #1 next year to move up to 14 (and whatever expiring contracts it would take).

I also would really like to have a couple of players slated to go in the second round too. Daniel Gibson, Brandon Bass, Bracey Wright and Lawrence Roberts.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if we end up with a PF like, may, simien, warrick, villanueva, or taft we might be able to trade them and next years #1 to the wolves or the nets @ 14 or 15.

we would have a better shot at diogu, graham, maybe webster.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Gibson will most likely be a lottery pick next season.

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Oops, Was thinking Daniel Ewing and typed Daniel Gibson, being Texas boys ya know.