1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jury reaches verdict on how much Alex Jones should pay Sandy Hook victims

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Oct 12, 2022.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Member

So I stink at trying to determine whether something is a rhetorical question, and I’m also not a libertarian law expert.

But as to the question you posed, Alex Jones has a first amendment right, as do we all, and he exercised it. That right has not been infringed upon and he remains free to say whatever he wants. The First amendment prohibits the government from impeding a persons right to free speech.

These verdicts simply stand for the idea that there can be consequences for the exercise of free speech, consequences laid out under civil law like lawsuits for defamation, slander, libel and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Unfortunately, people who mindlessly cry “free speech!” in response to these verdicts are some combination of uneducated, stupid, unwilling or unable to read, and just bad people rooting for a bad person.

Nook, Yung-T, ROCKSS and 4 others like this.
  2. Newlin

Newlin Member

People like this find ways around things like this. Sure, I expect it will be harder for him. But, bad people know how to hide assets and still live the high life. I hope I’m wrong.

ROCKSS and jiggyfly like this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yes, I'm a big free speech guy, but I don't view this as a free speech issue. This is a civil lawsuit, not the government inhibiting his free speech.

Also, this guy just seems like a bad person all around. I don't feel sorry for him one bit.

Nook, Yung-T, Deckard and 3 others like this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Fox News and its lies await the 1.6B dominion voting systems defamation lawsuit.

5. durvasa

durvasa Member

Thanks for your comment. It wasn’t rhetorical. I’m genuinely curious how smart folks on here might argue the other side — that this was an overreach that infringes on his civil rights.

6. King1

King1 Member

I do. I think he's a scumbag and should have to pay what he owes.

Nook, Yung-T, rocketsjudoka and 2 others like this.
  7. King1

King1 Member

You're ridiculous and just a complete shill.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If Alex Jones didn't go after the victims directly and simply peddled conspiracy theories about some unnamed individuals or some groups (even some religious or race), there would be no defamation lawsuit.

9. Rileydog

Rileydog Member

The only proper/intelligent discussion to be had is whether (1) the verdicts comport with the facts and applicable state law (ie, whether there is legal error that could cause a judge to revise the verdict or the verdict could be overturned on appeal), and (2) even assuming the verdict is supported by the facts and law, whether the legal community thinks that the verdict is outside the range of reasonableness based on other verdicts. I don’t know the applicable state law well enough to opine on issue 1, and I don’t know whether comparable cases exist and what they might say about issue 2.

I don’t think we have seen a case like this, so it will be tough to consider analogous verdicts. The OJ verdict was a long time ago, and the manner and breadth of harm was different as well. I could make a strong argument that the total emotional damage caused by Jones is dramatically higher than OJ.

Is it 965MM worth? No idea. In my mind, there is nothing you could pay me to endure what these people did. Apparently thr jur6 thought so too. They were tasked with assigning numbers, and they assigned some big ass numbers.

ROCKSS likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

prosecutors were asking for 550 million, but whatever these families had to endure due to Alex Jones must’ve been so bad that the jury said “550 mil? Nah, he should pay almost 1 billion.”

ROCKSS and Rileydog like this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

That's very likely true but it probably wouldn't be as effective / profitable as to focus on an actual incident.

Nook likes this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not a lawyer but just from my layman's point of view it looks very difficult for Jones to get an appeal. His own behavior during the trial showed that he was completely inconsiderate of the not just the victim's families but also the judge. That he also had admitted that Sandy Hook wasn't a hoax he made the case that he knew this wasn't true and that he didn't care what harm his actions might've caused.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wow.

Talk about peeing on your leg and telling you it's raining.

P.T. Barnum would be proud.

ROCKSS likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

interesting

Cop after Cop gets off with cold blooded murder. . . . .and it is not attached to them for life
    It is just a minor asterick on their report card
    and people will argue to death that they didn't murder anyone
    YET
    The same folx want to say OJ Murdered someone when the same courts says otherwise

Rocket River

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They also ONLY want that Free Speech to be for THEIR SIDE

Rocket River

Yung-T and ROCKSS like this.
  16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

LAW AND ORDER

deb4rockets and ROCKSS like this.
  17. Commodore

Commodore Member

free speech is an absolute

You should be allowed to say whatever you want and not have your wealth confiscated.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

99.99% of the time, this is the case. That's pretty damn good if you ask me.

20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Wrong. U can't go around saying u will assassinate the president, or u want to go on a ethnic killing spree without any consequences.

You can say whatever u want in this country but its not a get out jail card. It doesn't allow u to defame someone hence y defamation lawsuits exist, to protect those getting screwed over by "freedom of speech"

ROCKSS likes this.