1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jayzers_100, Jul 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I know Josh Smith has a number of warts. But he has strengths too.

It is OBVIOUS that Morey wants JSmith. He just didn't want JSmith at that 14M/per value. The same way Morey did not want Parsons at 15M/per.

There are obvious qualities that Smith brings that Morey feels is very advantageous to the core of this team. And I think they are primarily defensive elements.

2. eman

eman Member

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Yahoo Sources: Houston emerging as strongest suitor to sign Josh Smith. <a href="http://t.co/pOvHRnynRp">http://t.co/pOvHRnynRp</a></p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/547113454252085249">December 22, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I always considered Josh Smith to be the ceiling for Jones. So why wouldn't you want to bring him in for a cheap contract? It's a no brainer.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

The Woj...

6. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Member

This. Aldridge isn't coming here. And I'm not gonna wait on cap flexibility for when Durant is a free agent. The league is weak this season. If there was anytime to win a championship that time is now!

7. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lzj-zO42miw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Adding Wright and Dragic along with Smith....

#defensegasm

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

For what it's worth, Calvin Murphy also worked with Smith a few summers back so you probably have him recruiting in whatever capacity he can.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

#nolayups2.0 #remix

11. BasketballReasons

Not a fan of this guy...

12. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Morey is a stats geek and he run an advance system none has been doing.

He will only trust facts.

Josh Smith is a stats nightmare, whatever ways you want to cover him.

Other teams may want to dig deep into how he plays, but I am sure Morey will know very well on this.

This team will not specifically design or modify the offense for Josh Smith.

Unless Morey will be brainwashed, it will be a shock to see him actually signing Josh Smith to this team.

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

I really hope he can accept a different roll here. If he will rebound, run the floor, pass, defend at a high level, and shoot NOTHING but WIDE OPEN 3s, he would be an excellent fit here.

That said, we have to get some shooting in our front court.

14. Kwame

Kwame Member

LaMarcus Aldridge wouldn't have been dropping 40+ a night on the Rockets had Josh Smith been guarding him in last year's playoffs. Even Maury realizes the positive attributes that Smith brings to a team, which is why he's been after him for the past few years. The Rockets should now be the best defensive team in the NBA.

15. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Member

He's a career 64% FT shooter. Two poor shooters? On second thought, no thanks. Goran or bust

16. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

17. marky :)

marky :) Member

How will it be a shock if there were reports we wanted him 2 years ago and we're pursuing him again now?

18. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Member

So some of you would rather pass on Josh Smith and let another West team pick him up? :rolleyes:

19. TheresTheDagger

You're assuming you have all the stats that Morey sees...which of course is an incorrect assumption.

This has to do with buy in. If Smith says and does the right things and focuses on what he does well (defend, rebound, run the break, pass, take high % shots) then he would be one hell of a pickup. Even if he flames out, its a low risk addition that costs you literally nothing in basketball talent to obtain.

How do you NOT add this guy?

20. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

I think you're overlooking the fact that Smith to Houston makes one of T-Jones/D-Mo expendable in a trade to bring Dragic here, which could have made Morey hesitant before.