1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jayzers_100, Jul 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. studogg

studogg Member

if he goes to the heat, he'll be out of the league like Latrell Sprewell

washed up has been with talent but no brains.

if he's smart, his agent is pushing him to a true contender on a 1-yr deal.

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Disabled Player Exception from McBob.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Are they assuming Josh is already a done deal?

WTH - this aint Cousins for all that bad attitude

4. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

I agree with you to certain degree.. I believe it's not because he can't shoot it's because he thinks he can shoot where the problem lies. If he can understand his role then I'm all for it.

5. ZNB

ZNB Member

We wont have to lose them, but we will have to clear a roster spot and he will take minutes away from dmo/papa. I would rather develop them instead of going after smith. But i trust Morey so ill withhold judgement and see how this plays out.

6. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

The Clippers, Heat, Rockets, Kings, and Mavericks are all interested according to ESPN.

7. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

What do the heat matter?

This isnt a player you can claim, he chooses where he wants to go. I really feel Dwight can sway him our way easy.

Starting spot playing next to a close friend + contender? easy decision imo

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

I don't understand those who would not want this guy on a cheap contract. Sure he is a knucklehead and can turn into a chucker but he is a former all-star with great talent. Play him a the 4 as he is not a 3.

I prefer to keep Dmo as the starter with Smith/Brewer as key bench players but if he needs to start to sign, start him.

9. juanm34

juanm34 Member

TJones getting shutdown for the season, hello josh smith.

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>Houston would appear to have a decided financial advantage over the field with a $2M exception to offer and Dwight Howard as lead recruiter</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/547106069147693056">December 22, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The recruitee becomes the recruiter. Let's hope it works out better than Melo

11. lillj

lillj Member

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 46s47 seconds ago
    Houston would appear to have a decided financial advantage over the field with a $2M exception to offer and Dwight Howard as lead recruiter
    0 replies 0 retweets 0 favorites
    Reply Retweet Favorite
    More

12. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Houston would appear to have a decided financial advantage over the field with a $2M exception to offer and Dwight Howard as lead recruiter</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/547106069147693056">December 22, 2014</a></blockquote>

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Since 3-pt line was introduced in 1979-80, Josh Smith has the 2nd-worst career 3-pt FG pct (27.8%), min. 1,000 att. <a href="http://t.co/sVpFLAqHHy">pic.twitter.com/sVpFLAqHHy</a></p>&mdash; ESPN Stats &amp; Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/547103090768609280">December 22, 2014</a></blockquote>

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The rational ones might think he locks us up. Like CP25 would have, but with far far far less of an impact.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If HOU adds Smith for full BAE, they'll be *just* shy of luxury tax threshold, ~$4M shy of hard cap. Could make big trades more difficult.</p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/status/547096486463283200">December 22, 2014</a></blockquote>

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

How do waivers work again? Can't someone scoop him up before we even offer him sandwich?

16. jman7373

jman7373 Member

Imagine a defensive lineup of:

Howard
    Smith
    Brewer
    Ariza
    Beverley

17. TheresTheDagger

So let me see if I understand this correctly...

Once Smith clears waivers (and he will...nobody wants to pay that contract), then Smith is free to sign with whatever team he wants correct?

And other than Miami, nobody can offer him more than the Rockets with the BAE and a 1 or 2 year deal.....right?

18. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I wouldn't want to trade for Josh Smith, but getting him without giving up any thing but a roster spot and some cap space is a steal. I suspect playing on a contender rather than the Detroit dumpster fire will improve his attitude. Shot selection is a concern, but absolute worst case he comes, doesn't work out and you bench or waive him. Best case, he fits in perfect and elevates the team as a contender.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Seems like Morey considers Smith the 3rd star. Especially considering he is PF.

20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

Wouldn't matter because that lineup can't score.