1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith Anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, May 6, 2013.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

So who's your big fish in the 2014 FA? The one that makes signing look silly and a just cause move.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

* woops

3. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Clearly LeBron is taking his talents to South Texas. :rolleyes: :p

4. Russjr2

Russjr2 Member

People really undervalue Milsap on this board.

Check his stats again the last two seasons. He is no defensive stopper, but he rebounds well and scores in the paint and can shoot out to 15 ft easily. Gets steals and creates his own shot very well. He is young and has room to grow his game with this team. Won't be overly expensive to sign so we have cap space for another move. Don't be shocked...

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Again this is a question. And it's not just because. You don't have to be ignorant. You have to look at all options. Yours included but there is no evidence the option your suggesting is even a reality. Your simple solution is something to consider but it could also be another one of your wet dreams. They could easily amnesty Kobe and save 80 million dollars and not be interested in trading Gasol. So while you have to look at that also it may not even be an option. I am not against signing Gasol for one year but what PF's are available next summer. People who think next summer we will get Lamarcus Aldridge or Kevin Love or stupid. Those teams aren't trading those players. ANd if a situation comes up than it makes more sense to have another player of value to trade in exchange.

If you don't believe anyone is worth it then yes don't blow your wad. But you better do your due diligence because your wad is ging to dwindle fast as players like Parsons and Beverly reach the end of their contracts. Fortunately Morey is smarter than you and me and he will consider all options , not just the ones you like.

1 person likes this.
  6. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Someone that can finish above the rim, does a bit of everything, and doesn't ball hog is goood. Just need the price to be right.

7. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

The big assumption is if Josh Smith can tame his game to play within the Rockets system. Ie corner 3s, go hard on D and offensive boards, attack the rim, fast break, make the simple pass, and cut out the rest of the other fancy stuff and mid range jump shots.

Ie totally defer and adjust his game.

Being a bit of a head case, I'm not certain. But if he can, a great fit.

What I do think is that Millsap's game can help any team, but may not take them over the top. Millsap is versatile, and he is always team first.

If J Smith can adjust to our system, I'd take him over Millsap. If not, Millsap should come cheaper, and if we get him on a good tradable deal, we can continue to retool if we find that it isn't enough.

Millsap is a bit underrated in my opinion. Josh Smith no longer that overrated, but could also be underrated in the right system.

Millsap below $12M, Josh Smith below $14M.

8. Old Man Rock

I watched video on him. He can definitely score but he is kind of bad defensively. He is just too undersized for a PF. Adds no rim protection. If he could knock down 3's at a high clip maybe. I don't go by this years percentage. he only shot 39 and made 13. His career % is 27. He is a young, Utah would offer him a decent contract if they thought he was worth it.

9. trowa2

trowa2 Member

if lakers AC pau, grab him for vet min. i will pass on josh smith or al jefferson unless we will trade him in midseason.

10. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

Hell Nawww...

11. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

We can't just grab him for vet min. There will be a plethora of other teams interested in him.

12. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Josh Smith is one of maybe 3 players (Gay and Anthony being the other 2) that can match up physically with Lebron and Durant as well as making them work on defense. Something that I think will be critical if rox wants to win the NBA without having one of those 2. Just for that alone its worth to sign J Smoove.

13. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Lol vet min? This is pau gasol we're talking about

14. trowa2

trowa2 Member

in morey, we believe.

15. Yang_Wenli

Yang_Wenli Member

Sure, Smith has pretty much everything we need sans shot selection. However, judging by recent articles McHale can't even handle Harden, and now with Smith put together I'm afraid this team will not be able to execute play properly. Plus, I don't want him at $14 million, which is what he will ask for most likely.

At this point I think a one year rental of Pau Gasol seems to be the most feasible.

16. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Keep up these posts. Whether I agree with them or not, it's great to just be able to evaluate all the options as you know Morey will do this summer.

17. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Millsap is another victim of the CBA. Jazz offered him a deal, but he turned it down. Forgot details but you can google it.

Very durable player, probably willing to take his chance against injury.

Also 7'2 wingspan, similar to or even longer than most PFs

Artificially short, as in the SI article on what Morey likes to get (typically cheaper and more underrated, much like Hayes and Jones)

18. Old Man Rock

Okay... I'll look at more video. I just saw too many players blow by him.

Not really related but I'll throw it in here anyway. I saw video on Smith and Boozer. Boozer tried to elbow him in the head and Josh Smith wasn't happy. The thing is Boozer has always come across to me as one of the tougher guys in the league you don't mess with. But if you watch his face he started acting tough like usual and Smith must have stared and then jerked his arms come on less do this and then Boozers face changed like okay I don't really want this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n8eOBc-VFGY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nothing major but there is no question he brings a toughness that this team lacks. Not looking for thugs like Perkins but someone who won't back down from thugs and won't be intimidated hand has talent is a rare commodity. I also loved the way he posterized Ibaka. Him and Asik would make Bosh and Lebron cry if we had to face them in the finals.

19. rokit

rokit Member

he averages more assists than gasol

i've only seen a couple of ATL games, is he the PF all the time?

20. Zergling

Zergling Member

I'd like to think Morey won't settle for a good player and give him superstar money or give a mediocre player good money. Then again he gave Ariza a nice contract so who knows.