1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jose Calderon and Jeremy Lin's role

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AndySwanny, Apr 28, 2013.

1. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Jose Calderon will be an unrestricted free agent in the summer. He shot 49.1% from the field and 46.1% from 3 point land (averaging 2 makes a game). 90% from the line, and a A/T ratio of 4.18. He could help out our turnover problems a lot, bring a veteran presence to the backcourt, and he'd be a threat from deep. All in all, I could see him complementing Harden well, and it would possibly give our bench some scoring prowess with Lin bringing the spark.

What do you think about signing him up to start at point guard, and then letting Jeremy Lin play as a 6th man to bring scoring off the bench a la Ginobili?

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Depends on his price, but he would be a great offensive fit next to Harden, but defensively he is a bottom 5 defender in the league.

3. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

4. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

I like Calderon, but he's making $10m+ per year. I think trout would handcuff us from getting another superstar talent.

5. langal

langal Contributing Member

If it's going to prevent us from getting D12, then no.

I don't know if that would be money well spent. At best, it doesn't help the team that much. Lin and Beverley's minutes would be reduced ... for Jose Calderon? (and the XXX million he's going to cost?)

6. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

He's an unrestricted FA, though, so we'd offer him less. If he demanded that much, maybe even half that, he won't get signed anywhere at 31 years old.

7. AFS

AFS Member

Lin is a much better defender.

8. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Calderon is a good shooter but he is a worse defender by a considerable margin. I'll pass.

9. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Average player. Awful on D. Not a great fit. Ties up cap space. Likely to be too pricey.

So, no. :)

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Calderon would be outstanding here.

11. Mariachi ROCKET

12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Yes. Morey has strategically positioned ourselves with the cap to sign future 'overthehump' talent in Jose

13. nebula955

nebula955 Member

I think he pads his stats--he dribbles around for like 10+ seconds before firing a pass. Since the other guy just *has* to take the shot with like 3 seconds left, Calderon's assist numbers are high. His shooting is pretty good, but his defense is ridiculously awful.
    Still, he was also outplaying Lowry by quite a lot before he was traded. Probably why he was able to get traded.

14. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

15. CertifiedTroll

Not to huge on Lin, but do NOT NOT NOT want Calderon.

16. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Just trying to stir the conversation because I do like the idea of Calderon with Harden, but this is what I'd probably say to my own post:

We have too much cap tied up in Jeremy Lin to sit him on the bench without first getting a second star. If Calderon signs on the cheap, it's possible, but not super likely unless Lin was traded.

17. pnr

pnr Member

Really? You need a defensive minded pg next to harden

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Zero,no need for him.

19. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Is Calderon going to help us win a championship somewhere down the road? If not, why waste the money just to get a few more wins?

20. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

It would be a wash. The points we gain with Calderon's shooting will be lost with a porous backcourt defense of Calderon and Harden. Asik would foul out in 20 minutes every game LOL