1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Jon Barry doesn't think Hou will make playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hooroo, Feb 27, 2008.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime

2. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I know we're riding a 13 game winning streak but lets face it. One 3 game skid and we're back on the outside looking in. The schedule isn't going to get easier in March and its very possible a skid like that will happen.

As long as the team continues to improve though, regardless of record or a playoff berth, I've been incredibly impressed by the mental shakeup of this team. Its more free flowing, and energetic. I'm impressed by management and their quiet acquisitions of unknown talent through draft picks, and for the most part free agent signings. Management seems to know what its doing without giving up its youthful future, and our two bigs have gelled quite nicely. Just need to stay healthy which may as well be the teams new promotional slogan.

3. BlakeB

BlakeB Member

Hmm, I disagree... but of course I'm a little biased. :cool:

He's right about one thing though, the Rockets played so well tonight because of all the emotion surrounding Yao's loss. They showed up and really played like a team. My biggest concern is, in the next couple of weeks as the initial emotion fades, can the Rockets sustain a similar level of play as what we saw against the Wiz? My heart and mind tell me for the most part yes... but we will see for sure in the next few games.

4. bbjai

bbjai Member

I don't blame him

Look at the west. If Mcgrady steps up we still will be an outside change to make the playoffs. The west is that tough right now

5. BlakeB

BlakeB Member

Outside chance of making the playoffs? Eh, I wouldn't go that far man. Our stock dropped with Yao's injury, and without him we're less likely to be in the playoffs than with him... but we have a really good team here. I still think, even without Yao, we're a better team than GS and Den.

The west is certainly stacked this year, more than I can ever remember for sure, and every game matters (for every team) so our team is gonna have to play strong team ball. That said, I think our team would have to underperform significantly more than I think they will to miss the playoffs-but a playoff birth certainly isn't a lock for us... far from it.

Finally, I disagree that it's going to take McGrady stepping it up for us to have an outside chance at the playoffs... I'd say even if he keeps steady at the 15ppg/7apg T-Mac he's been the past few games we'd have at least an "outside" shot. If McGrady steps it up, takes this team on his back like I think he can, and we keep seeing our team play team ball... we've got as close to a lock for a seed as we can get in our situation.

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

I think we can make the playoffs and I believe this team can go deep. That being said, I don't blame JB for saying that. It's possible we'll fall off if we go on a losing streak in this tight west race.

But man, seeing Mutombo out there reminded me that lots of teams just have centers that do nothing but rebound/block shots. With T-Mac, a strong defensive force like Mutombo in the middle and the great team we have around them? Anything can happen.

He maybe 42, but he is an all time great defensive force that's still better than 90% of the centers out there. We are still in it. I dare to dream of June with Rockets basketball in my mind.

7. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I'm surprised he says that. He played with Deke, having Deke is more than enough to get us in , this teams personnel is much improved over the JVG teams and Deke will be an adequate fill in for Yao.

8. bingfei236

bingfei236 Member

sadly, from my view , what jon means it is that to be without yao, it would be wasted a spot if rocket does make the playoff. i mean to be champion contender.

9. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Don't ever underestimate Mutombo. This guy is a natual freak.

10. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I remember them saying that same thing about the Rockets when they were going for their second championship...

11. tested911

tested911 Member

Well there is a good chance we don't but I'm still pulling for the team to make it. Now if he said we will not make the finals then he is absolutely 100% correct.

12. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5-1jgNhopNo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5-1jgNhopNo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You never know.....25 games left...can the Rockets go 15-10 to get to 52 wins?

At least we have a fun team to watch.....

DD

14. sabesque

sabesque Member

"Houston wants to sign my brother Brent Barry, recently cut loose from Seattle. Where will he end up? I talk to him every day, and he's more confused now than he was two days ago. One day it's Boston, another it's Phoenix, another it's back to San Antonio. We'll see."

Not that it's surprizing, but it sounds like we're out of the mix. I don't blame him... Rockets are a class organization. I wouldnt be surprized if Morey called Brent and broke the news.

We rallied last year when Yao was out, and we're a better, more passionate team than last. Plus we have Carl Landry.

15. sabesque

sabesque Member

I've been under a rock, by the way.

16. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

The team played great without TMac, I expect they will continue to play great even without Yao... These guys are locked in.

17. bloop

bloop Member

this article isn't in any way a knock on the rockets

it's about how competitive the West is.

rockets do have an outside shot at the playoffs but if you had to lay odds they're the 9th team just outside playoff contention

18. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I wish I shared everyone's blind optimism, but this team, sans Yao, is not the diamond in the rough which was the 93-94 team. After T-Mac, there isn't a single go to guy, no one to help spread the floor and demand respect from opposing defenses.

I'm not saying we won't make the playoffs because it is technically possible, but anyone that thinks we're going anywhere in the playoffs is simply delusional.

19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Look at the Poll on ESPN.COM

Are the Rockets a Playoff Team without YAO?

YES - 17%

NO - 83%

Almost 82,000 Votes. I love it!! Keep hating on this team.

20. laneh

laneh Member

Agreed. Mac/Scola/Landry will need to step it up. More penetration and defense like last night will lead us right in to the playoffs...