1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Smallwood: Despite injuries, Yao Ming already among NBA's greats

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mav-Hater, Jul 14, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

huh huh John Smallwood...

I think Yao's style would've dominated the league 15 years ago or Walton's era. He would've been forced to adjust his attitude, but the refs then were more accommodating to it.

The thoughts of what could've been are depressing...

#2 Invisible Fan, Jul 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  3. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Obviously, it is not my alias LOL

4. shsu33

shsu33 Member

I can co-sign to that. Yao may not have 2 rings(only one of which Walton led his team) but a 7 time All-Star starter with better stats should make the next 25. Even if he was voted in, outside of his rookie season, he deserved to go and start. Plus, Yao's not done! I believe!!

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A very nice read. Depressing, as the tone is that we might have seen the last of the big fella, but he makes some good points. The major thing that pops into my head that shoots a hole in the column's Walton comparison is pretty obvious, the absence of a championship. I think Yao needs one of those to get serious consideration for the Hall. If he had a very long, highly productive career, and didn't get his ring, like Sir Charles, for example, then he would still deserve to be there. Yao hasn't accomplished that. Not yet.

The "what ifs" can drive you crazy. Ralph Sampson had "future Hall of Famer" writ large when thinking about the eventual end of his career, until injury made him a footnote. Yao's been more lucky than Ralph, having lasted far longer, but it's still frustrating to fans of the Rockets. Fans like me.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

obviously asian

JK :D

7. Jaingfang

Jaingfang Member

Depressing, but just don't read the comments on that website about that article, it's sickening...

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

At this point I doubt Yao would make the NBA's top 75. He certainly is not a future HOFer. My hope is that he can come back and win a ring or two or at least come back and have some healthy seasons before his window closes for good.

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

yao is a HOF based on his global impact.

10. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I would disagree with the selection process if the goes into the hall because he brought the NBA to China. He should make it because he was a great player and for no other reason and I don't believe he deserves to go into the HOF if his career ended today.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I wish that Yao had played in an era where there was little double teaming. If he had gotten far more one on one opportunities,he would gotten further into the playoffs,though I doubt if he could ever won a championship even with a healthy McGrady plus a superior surrounding cast. He is not a HOF in my opinion,but he is a skilled big man with a great personality.

12. rocketier1

rocketier1 Member

Yeah despite Yao's injury problems over the years, Yao has shown the kind of game that most people his size could never achieve.

For a guy of his size (7"6) He has a great shooting touch from that cute but deadly baby hook to a mid-range game and to hitting a clutch 3 for the game.

That and the way he has effected the NBA in a positive way around the globe, I hope Yao will be able to recover and come back to play once again. He deserves to be on the court playing, that and it's just really fun to watch when he goes 12/12 from the field :D

13. esteban

esteban Member

Damn, this guy is a YOF..... :)

14. UrlPerlMonroe

UrlPerlMonroe Rookie

Until he wins a championship, don't even think about it.

15. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

there is a specific category to go into the hall of fame as a contributor. I think Yao would be appropriate under this category. I think Yao's chances would significantly increase if there are more good Chinese players that make an impact in the NBA.

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

achievement-wise, yao shouldn't make the HOF. he hasn't even made one all-nba 1st team.

but you can't deny the impact he has brought to china. it's unbelievable how much love the NBA gets over there. and i'm sure he will get inducted b/c of that.

PS - you can argue for quite a few players that have made it to the HOF who clearly don't deserve it

17. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

There have been times where Yao should have honestly gotten 1st team.

18. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Reading such articles is depressing. It all points to yao not coming back.

19. jlwee

jlwee Member

Fronting is legal is all eras of Basketball.

So it doesn't matter which era Yao played in, if he can't solve the fronting defense, he won't lead his team deep into the playoffs thus not a HOF candidates.

Yao actually 25PPG one season before injuries slow him so there is no doubt and i strongly believe without those injuries Yao can actually average 23PPG for few seasons.

20. verse

verse Contributing Member

In my estimation, no. Not an alltime great, unless you are parenthicizing it with the caveat of "players of his stature". To me, to be an alltime great, you need to unequivocally dominate your era of your position for some substantial length of time. Yao (and others, btw) do not fit that mold for me.

Is he great? Yes. An alltime, top 50 great? No. No alltime great that i can name, can be simply neautralized by such a basic tactic as fronting. Every alltime great has a countermove to every one-on-one defensive tactic. And yes, i do say one-on-one tactic, for the weakside cheater vs Yao is unnecessary, due to his lack of mobility.

I'm incredibly glad we have Yao, but refuse to put him in the pantheon of greats that include Dream, Wilt, Jabbar, Russell, Shaq, etc.

Walton may belong on the Koufax list because when healthy he was revolutionary, but Yao, in no way, is that player. Walton countered defenses and is the single greatest passing big that I've seen (when healthy) coupled with an ability to score. Yao, as much as I love his game, cannot stake any of those claims to fame...short of beibg the best GIANT ever. No shame in that at all. Heck, Calvin Murphy's the greatest midget guard I've witnessed. But he doesn't belong on the collective greatest of all time list.