1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(JOBS) How to Approach the Situation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bigbodymoe, Jun 11, 2012.

1. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

So here's my dilemma. I recently began working for a local hospital, my first professional job after college. It's not the job of my dreams of course, but I enjoy the people I work with so far and management seems fair and nice. Salary is not nearly what I want, but I accepted the offer b/c...well...you gotta start somewhere right?

So this morning I received an offer from a big time insurance company for a position in their Houston office, who've offered about 8-10k more in salary, better tuition reimbursement, and better health benefits from what I can gather. my current position is one where I work 12 hour shifts (7a-7p) and this job is your normal 8-5 m-f gig.

I need advice on how to and whether I even SHOULD approach my current management regarding the offer I just received. I am unsure if approaching management about a job offer only 2 weeks into my new job is a good move. I do believe there is good opp of growth in both companies, but I obviously have to make a decision here...should I show loyalty and allow that to be the determining factor?

How would you/have you approached a similar situation?

Moe

2. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

If you feel that the growth opportunity is the same in both places, I'd take the second offer. You are still essentially starting out at your current job, so it's not like you are throwing a whole bunch of experience out the window. I'm sure your supervisor would understand that you are taking the better offer both hour-wise and money-wise. Just be friendly about it, and I would think everything would be fine.

3. Jamers

Jamers Member

Go with the jOb you love.. Trust me, it's all worth it.

I was in the same situation before, i talked to HR and told them the truth. They also thank me for being honest and they respect my decision. I spent 15 days before they let me go so that they can replace me.

4. cloudng8

cloudng8 Contributing Member

i would be up front with them because its a business if they know your leaving they can start the process of finding your replacement. Dont just not give them a heads up weather they would be upset or not.

In the end you got to do whats best for YOU. thats everyday life as well. dont feel bad im sure they would do the same if they were in your shoes.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

My approach was to take whatever was the highest-paying job I could after graduation. That's what I would recommend doing. Of course, if that highest-paying job makes you miserable, then don't do it. But if all else is equal and it pays more, I am positive your current employer would understand.

6. bigbodymoe

There is probably no way I can know whether or not I will/will not like the job with the offering company. I know for a fact that I can be much more and do much better than my current position, but I would basically go off faith that advancement opportunities are coming in the future.

7. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Just approach him. He's not going to bite.

[​IMG]

On a serious note, just tell them the truth. You found a job that pays a lot more, has better hours, and has better benefits. Thank them for the opportunity and you will stay on the minimum of two weeks to allow them to transition. If you've been there two weeks there's probably not much to transition so be ready for possibly getting dropped right away.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Be up front with them. If they can compensate you to make it worth it to stay, and that's what you want to do, do that. Otherwise, it seems like the other gig might be good for you.

In the end, remember this:

The only person looking out for you is you. Do what you can to be happy. Don't think for a second that the decision makers at the hospital value you as an individual. Nothing against you, they just don't. Just like my hospital doesn't value me (outside of maybe my manager and coworkers, but they're not the one signing my check). If they had to cut you because of budget, they would without thinking twice, I'm sure. I was threatened to be laid off for two years at my last job, even though I was employee of the month for the whole hospital. Hey, budget wins out.

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

It's a business. Say adios and take the better gig.

10. Yonkers

Eddie is spot on. Especially in this day and age, you can throw loyalty out the window. Make sure you do your job and you do it well. But be under no illusions that the company won't drop you if it suits their needs. That doesn't mean your manager will like doing it, but 2-3 levels above won't know you from Adam. You're just another number and if it doesn't fit, they will move that dollar sign to another bucket in their budgeting.
    Do what's right for you. Usually it's getting the better paying job.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What do you mean 'approach'? Approach to see if they can match the pay? If so, no. Consider how much $8k is a pay raise as a percentage. If you were making $50k, that'd be 16%. Does anyone want a scrub out of college with 2 weeks of experience (no offense) an extra 16%? Even if they did, they still would be short on the hours and health insurance (ironic, considering it's a hospital).

It's kinda crappy to ditch so soon after arriving, but that's what you have to do. They'll get over it.

12. bigbodymoe

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

They're gonna be inconvenienced anyway you approach it. Might as well be honest, and leverage what you can.

Right, with those extra reimbursements and health plans, its more like a 20% raise while working lesser hours and weekends off. Easy decision, they'd do the same.

As mentioned already, no loyalty anymore gotta do for you. The business world has rhetoric of valuing the employee, but their actions are all about Daryl Morey asset management, personal risk and liability protection for themselves

14. Voice of Reason

Loyalty is a two way street. Why be loyal to companies that don't have to be loyal to you. Lets say that you made a big mistake at your job. The company can drop you at a moments notice. where is the loyalty in that.

Don't feel guilty about leaving the company. If you decide to leave, just explain the circumstances. they wont necessarily be happy, but they will understand.

15. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

This.

I'm sure they can contact the next person down the list who they considered hiring instead of you and see if they were still interested in the position. I would move quick though, the longer you wait the harder it is for your company to move on and find your replacement (i.e. you look like a bigger douche).

16. bigbodymoe

I'm in the process of making a pros and cons list for both positions. The position I've been in for 2 weeks is not high paying (though I have the option to pick up additional shifts if I please), but I get the sense from upper management that they value my skills and personality and feel that I have the potential to be something big, which is very important. In addition, I like the people I work with. In terms of negatives, although I am on the administrative side, I am exposed to different infections and risky/unstable patients at times. The health insurance is quite expensive and the network is limited (they have their own insurance).

The position being offered is one for which I've already received a rejection a few weeks ago, so not too sure what changed there, but I could ask. The salary is 8-10k higher than what I currently make (unless I pick up shifts). the potential for growth is likely there, but I wouldn't know until I was integrated in their company. PTO and health benefits are better, and tuition reimbursement is also better. If judging solely based on my interview, I wouldn't think i'd like my management as much as my current set of bosses.

Both companies are huge entities in their respective fields (hospital and insurance company) and one is in the med center while the other is in the galleria, so equal footing there.

That's all I can come up with so far.

Moe

17. Prince

Prince Member

Follow your heart.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Take the better job, they would fire you in a heart beat if they had to....you should be just as cold and as calculating as any business would be towards you.

DD

19. Yonkers

Both places potentially have growth opportunities in your career. One place already has a growth opportunity in your salary. Take that one.

20. Classic

Classic Member

I read this article on linkedin a while back and seems applicable here:
    http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs...12/03/26/why-you-shouldnt-take-a-counteroffer