1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jimy Williams...managing a shutout

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nick, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Nick

Nick Member

We're always the first ones to harp on him when he "loses" a game for us, so you might as well give him his due when he's able to manage a shutout using 5 PITCHERS!

This was a game, if Dierk were managing, where Mlicki would have continued to pitch (and get in trouble) until he would finally get burned. While Williams doesn't let his pitchers try to succeed in dire situations, he also doesn't allow them to fail either.

There is a certain amount of confidence Mlicki can now take away from this start that he wouldn't have had he eventually given up some runs. (and, he would have...dude was lucky as hell marlins don't have an rbi man since floyd was shipped).

I guess the best managerial decisions are the ones which basically go unnoticed. I gotta admit, it took some getting used to, but I do like having a guy who knows how to manipulate all parts of the team.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Good point Nick. Jimy made some very good calls tonight. He was wise with his decisions (Bring in Bourbon for 2 batters, followed by Stone).

Although Mlicki did not give up a run, he was getting shelled. He is very fortunate that the Marlins choked during critical situations. He came out of the game at the right time.

3. Refman

Refman Member

Actually the broadcasters said it was 6 pitchers.

Mlicki was NOT sharp tonight. He's really a cause for concern. We should have made the Paul Wilson/Randy Winn deal...but only if we could have given them something OTHER than Saarloos.

4. Astro101

Astro101 Member

That move bringing in Merced for Ward in left turned out to be good. Ward would not have made that nice catch.

5. Nick

Nick Member

My bad, it was 5 relievers, six pitchers overall...even more remarkable.

Yeah, Mlicki better get his stuff back (it wasn't much to begin with...but it was much better than this), or we might as well stick w/ Munro when Carlos comes back.

Maybe super dave is still hurtin, or he's still rusty...whatever it is, tongiht could have easily been just like last week against the Mets if not for some defensive gems, and sorry-ass batters.

Speakin of all the trade rumors where Sarloos is "untouchable", so was Scott Elarton and Rodrick Rhodes once upon a time. Just somethin to ponder...

6. Refman

Refman Member

Kirk Saarloos may or may not be the next Greg Maddux...remains to be seen. He has a similar pitching style.

The one thing that is for sure is that he will not be the next Scott Elarton. Elarton was impressive for half a season.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

Elarton was pretty decent for a while, but I think he was held in such high esteem for so long because of his size. Guys like Captain Kirk are being held in high esteem DESPITE their size, and that makes his accomplishments up to this point that much more remarkable. And Kirk has already shown much more than Rodrick Rhodes showed us.

8. Nick

Nick Member

Yeah, but has he stripped the ball from Michael Jordan on national TV yet? Actually, kirk probably could do that too...mj's got nothin on his changeup.

btw...I like the nickname Captain Kirk....is that your's, or did you hear it somewhere. Definitly could catch-on if he's consistently great.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I haven't heard it anywhere else...but I am sure someone has used it somewhere before I did. Feel free to give me credit, though, if it does catch on.