1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jets trade Darrelle Revis to Tampa Bay

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tmactoyao, Apr 21, 2013.

1. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

2. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I'm not sure why they would give up so many picks for a player with such a huge salary, when they aren't close to reaching the SB.

3. Anticope

Anticope Member

Having the worst-ranked passing defense in the league probably had something to do with it.. Although I agree, they did give up a lot in this deal.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Revis is the kind of guy that can completely change a defense. Other than a dominating, pass-rushing DE like JJ Watt, a true lockdown CB is the most valuable asset a defense can have.

If Revis is healthy, Bucs may end up having the most improved defense in the NFL. Their pass defense last year was atrocious.

Jets made out well, no doubt. Bucs are taking a worthwhile risk IMO.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Darrelle Revis received a 6-yr deal from the Bucs that makes him highest paid DB in NFL history but includes NO guaranteed money. None.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/326074270566465536" data-datetime="2013-04-21T20:45:38+00:00">April 21, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

no guaranteed money hrmm....

6. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Well, this is where I will firmly plant my noobie-wannabe gm flag: I would not do this trade if I were the Bucs unless I was going for marketing and not to be a contender.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Why do you say that? There isn't a single move the Bucs could have made to improve their team more. The fact Revis' contract has no guaranteed money makes this deal epic.

Unless I'm missing something, this is a slam dunk for Tampa.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Watch Revis b**** about his contract in a year.

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I know draft picks are about the potential, but in all honesty there's no player at #13 who will have the effect that Revis will have for the Bucs secondary.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Assuming Revis comes back as Revis. The man was just cleared to run this last week.

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, the epicness of this trade for Tampa is entirely dependent on how good Revis is once he's recovered. If he can get back to 90+% of his old self, absolutely it is a great deal. If not, they won't have any significant cap issues cutting him, but they did give up some good draft picks.

Overall I would say it is a pretty insignificant risk to take for a potential HUGE upside...but as others have mentioned you know Revis will demand a new contract with guaranteed money if he does get back to full speed/movement, so Tampa is definitely in for some headaches.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This. If he comes back and is "Revis Island" this season, he will hold out for a new deal before next season.