1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin agrees to terms on offer sheet [Update: Lin officially signs]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dachuda86, Jul 5, 2012.

?

Do you want Lin's contract matched

1. Yes

230 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. No

505 vote(s)
    68.7%
  1. Rokman

Rokman Member

Morey's got some balls! I'm starting to come around now with all of this change. I like that he's really fighting now. It always seems like they are too stubborn to budge and end up losing but the great thing on this deal is we win no matter what, though it would be much better to actually land Lin than to lose him.

We will be all over national TV next year if we get both Howard and Lin!!! This team will be as big as TMac and Yao was publicly!!

I love it! I'm paying attention Morey. . . and I like what you're doing! Takes real guts!!

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

BINGO.

We are after Howard. One of the keys to resigning him(besides the extra money) is bringing in that second superstar, CP3- potentially available next summer. Paul has expressed interest in the past in teaming up with Carmelo in NY. By producing this poison pill contract, it effectively eliminates the Knicks as a potential suitor next year, making Lin basically untradeable to the Clippers(or anywhere else). CP3's only options of teaming up with a superstar dwindles down to - the Rockets if they land Dwight.

Take notes, kids. Grand Master Morey, always thinking 3 steps ahead.

3. smw6230

smw6230 Member

Not really. Should OKC be penalized for having three good homegrown players?

4. Cleepy

Cleepy Member

Sorry, but I'm late. Why does is only count as 8mil for the Rockets per year for the length of the contract, but Knicks have to show the back-loaded on the books?

5. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

6. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

You left out the part that this also makes Lin untradeable for the Rockets.

7. Nero

Nero Member

I can't tell you the exact details, but under the new CBA, when you have a player who hits his (I believe) 3rd year during a contract, the contract amount for that year is allowed to be the max amount, which in Lin's case is what causes the contract to technically be 5/5/15. However, in order to 'even out' these types of contracts, the entire length of the contract is averaged over the life of the contract - which means the Rox would actually be paying @8.3 mil per season for the 3 years of the contract. BUT, the MATCHING team does not receive this benefit.

This means that NYK will be hit for the full 15 mil in Lin's 3rd year, but for the Rockets, he would only count 8.3mil during that third season.

You would get better info from Carl or Bima or one of the guru's, but that is my rudimentary understanding.

The same sort of contract was offered to Asik, with the same kind of consequences for Chicago, and this is why Morey's RFA contract offers have been dubbed 'Poison Pill' contracts, because IF the teams match, they are going to get socked, and HARD, in that third year.

This is why it is not in fact a given that either Chicago or NYK will definitely match the offers. In fact now, since Lin's offer was changed since it was initially made, I personally would be absolutely astonished if NYK actually match Lin's offer.

It would be salary-cap suicide for them.

So this is why everyone is praising Morey, because he is the first one to use this facet of the new CBA in order to make the 'big market' teams pay for their excesses in spending above the salary cap.

Plenty of other mid or small market teams will surely follow suit.

This is probably going to be the primary mechanism by which the majority of teams are going to be preventing any more of those 'super teams' like Miami and Boston from being formed.

8. smw6230

smw6230 Member

And by the way you have to love the non-major market owners. Scream about spiraling player costs and the need for competitive balance via revenue sharing during labor negotiations.

Then turn around and offer a guy who was making 600k in Houston last year 28 million guaranteed after all of 25 games. All that while intentionally costing a large market team (who's spending you want to curtail) 45 million in penalty taxes that you triggered and hope to collect on if they match the contract. :eek:

9. smw6230

smw6230 Member

A. That's just dishonest. The only reason why NY would exceed the salary cap is because of Houston's mismanagement. Mismanagement in that Houston had Lin last year for 600k and released him. They could have had him this year for under a million but they screw up. To rectify that situation they're now giving him a contract that nobody thinks he's worth in order to save face and to force NY either to get rid of him or pay 45 million in taxes that HOUSTON intentionally triggered.

is massively overpaying a player based on 25 games. The Knicks didn't put themselves in position to pay 45 million in taxes. Houston is attempting to inteltionally put the Knicks into a penalty tax situation.

B. I doubt it does for two reasons.

1. The number of teams that can pay the tax is small.
    2. Small market owners are sure to realize that if they screw big market teams they'll be the ones paying a price in the next round of the CBA.

C. Superteams were overblown because only a couple of markets can really support them.

10. Cleepy

Cleepy Member

I understand the details now...

Source

You mentioned that it prevents "super teams" being made, but doesn't this provision only apply to 2nd round draft picks? I think most "super teams" are made of 1st rounders.

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

I'm thinking dude is Thor right now.

12. teebone21

teebone21 Member

smart contract move by morey. Knicks gonna get raped if they match his last offer WOW. More than half their payroll will be taxes

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Match then trade to a team with cap space for picks on Dec 15.

14. got em COACH

got em COACH Member

Will the knicks GM Glen Grunwald match Daryl Morey? Is it worth the luxury tax to sign jeremy lin?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. VanityHalfBlack

[​IMG]

16. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Morey/rokets knows true Lin value....as they know how much money they generated thru china..with yao

Lins value is more as he appeals internationally.

17. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

Looking at the new deals in place w/ matching Lin and paying Toney Douglas salary will be if I added right lol ($75,976,227)

Luxury Tax is $70 million so 5,976,227*$1.50= $8,964,340.50

So will they pay the 75+ million plus the 8+ million? Let me know please?

Really do not think the Knicks will match!

18. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

um lin and his contract > dragic and his contract.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

Douglas' salary doesn't count towards NY's cap. They just gave cash to Houston in the trade.

They can always match Lin with the intent to trade him.

20. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Member

How bout: "We'll trade you Lin for our Space Shuttle"