1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin agrees to terms on offer sheet [Update: Lin officially signs]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dachuda86, Jul 5, 2012.

?

Do you want Lin's contract matched

1. Yes

230 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. No

505 vote(s)
    68.7%
  1. phantoman

phantoman Member

once the CBA fully kicks in, on year 3 of Lin's contract. THere is a multiplier for teams constantly over the cap... that is what will really kill them... it no longer is dollar for dollar, i believe it is like 1.5 to 1 or seomething liek that.

2. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

Question: Do you think Morey did this move (the only purpose of which can be to screw the knicks- because everyone knew they were matching) so that any kind of a free agent signing of Dwight was more difficult? (Going from "nearly impossible" to "completely impossible") I just don't get the point of it, ALL it does is screw the Knicks. There was/is a decent chance that the Bulls wouldn't match Asik, but the Knicks WILL swallow the pill.

Morey playing three level chess or just being kind of a dick?

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

It's worse than that. By being a repeat offender it might get up to 4.5 to 1.

4. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

There is no question, if I want his contract matched. Especially, if you want to dream that CP3 will join next year.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

The Apron is $4 million above the tax line. Won't they be well above that even without Lin? Serious question?

6. Tenchi

Tenchi Member

Didn't CP3 have some aspirations to go to NYK? Don't see that happening after this signing.

7. phantoman

phantoman Member

yeah something like that... so his contract could be 60M on year 3 if they are over the cap by 15M. lol crazy!

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It will be 2.5 for each dollar for first 5 million over, 2.75 per for next 5 over, 3.5 for next 5, 4.25 for next 5, and then 4.75 after that.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Not necessarily. It is possible for them to be under $71 million without Lin. Not with. The Knicks were not over the lux tax this season.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Is it broken down like that? I didn't realize it was progressive.

11. Jimes

Jimes Member

Good point, maybe Morey thinks that locking up Lin for less is better than banking on the off chance we get CP3. Not sure if we will have enough to convince Dwight to stay though since he'll be tempted to join up with Paul.

12. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Morey is smart but still dumb considering we will have no good PG when Howard joins us. Wouldn't it be funny if we trade Howard to Nets midseason for D-will? The guy should've signed with the Mavs so Howard could just join him next year.

13. moonnumack

moonnumack Member

I'll go against the grain and say that I'd still like to see NYK decline the match and have Lin come here, contract and all. It has nothing to do with marketing.
    He's already shown that he's a solid PG with a good handle on running a team and above average shot. He's definitely got to cut down on TOs, but I think that will come with some time and experience. He's not a me-first PG but he's shown to be capable of scoring if he needs to. I'm fine with 3 yrs, $24-25 mil for a youn PG with some upside still.
    I say this, assuming that the contract will not significantly hamper our cap flexibility, as it appears to me.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It does go up like that. I still get about 43 million in luxury tax for just Lin if the Knicks sign no more players and cut no one. That doesn't count his 15 million in salary.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

With all the marketing opportunities and endorsements with Lin here, that may actually make it easier for Howard to resign with the Rockets.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

My bad. I was thinking $4 million above the salary cap in my head, instead of the tax line.

17. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

when on the business side of the nba, there are no rules, stick it to them everyday, 2X on Sunday

18. smw6230

smw6230 Member

People are being awfully shortsighted. Houston can do this because they're not any good right now. But what happens if Houston gets Dwight and adds a couple of young players and becomes a contender. They'll be in the same position as those teams are with far less resources.

I suspect that if LA, NY and Chicago trolled Houston's roster fans here would be outraged that the NBA allows big city teams to crush small markets.

In the end these types of games won't be good for small market teams. It might seem fun now but Stern works for the owners and when LA, Chi and NY owners start yelping about how small market teams are essentially doubledipping on revenue sharing, the league is going to have to address the situation and the end result will be a league that puts the small markets at a larger disadvantage.

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

Morey has the personality of a plugger - what they call in hockey a mucker and grinder. One thing is certain: if.he didn't try, there is no way he would get Lin. I imagine he thought the possibility was low, but the only thing lost was his own time and effort.

It's the same reason he tries to get in on every trade, even when there is a small chance. All of those trade that never happen that piss everybody off? Those will keep happening because Morey views constantly trying harder than everybody else as his path to success. It is better to try and fail than not try at all.

1 person likes this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

You miss the point. This only impacts teams that do these multiple superstar teamups and violate the lux tax multiple years in a row. The Rockets are't likely to be one of those teams even if they add Dwight.