1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Jenna's Farewell

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DREAMer, Apr 29, 2000.

1. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Okay fellow posters, I have to vent.

Recently, ClutchCity.Net lost a long-time member. She always posted clear well thought out posts. She never posted crap like, "shooting Hakeem", or "Trade Hakeem for Garnett". She was an asset. Now she's gone, so this thread is not about trying to bring her back.

What I am upset about is the way some members totally trashed her. I guess I'm partially mad, because she is a woman, and I was brought up to treat men and women differently. I mean, I'll yell at a dude without giving it a second thought, but yelling at a girl would just be chickensh**. Remember women react differently to conflict and/or rivalry. They are not raised (for the most part) to desire competition. They don't have Testosterone.... But I've thought about it and I still think some of you overreacted regardless of her gender.

I am not sure why Jenna decided to post her first thread asking us if she should stay. She could've honestly wanted our opinion. Or, she could've just wanted some attention. Same goes for her last post, I can't say for sure why she posted it. It could be that she was just letting those of us who give a crap know why she would no longer be posting. Or, again she could've just been doing it so we'd all be like "Jenna, no don't go, please stay. We love you... " or whatever. But, I doubt it. I never understood how she could be a Jazz fan and a Rocket fan at the same time. But, then again I guess I don't understand a lot about a lot of people.

So, why did so many people get so upset about her post? Why does it matter if one member tries to get attention by posting a thread about them leaving or posting a thread about some dumbass trade that'll never happen? Or some poster emailing you and asking you to respond to their thread to keep it alive....

Another thing I don't understand is how many people were telling her that she should just ignore posts that she found irritating, and not complain about them. But, those same people were complaining about her post.... hmmmm Why didn't they take their own advice and just ignore her post? I don't know.

I just think she got treated like a newbie who just posted fourteen topics in 2 minutes all about dumbass stuff that has been hashed and rehashed.

If ya'll didn't want to her come back, why didn't you just say it without crossing the line. Or if you didn't like her post, why couldn't you express that in a civil way? I don't know... maybe the whole newbie influx is starting to affect the entire quality of the BBS. Or maybe we're all in a bad mood after our 34 win season. Whatever the reason the outcome was not what I've come to expect out of the members here, especially some of the "senior" members.

[This message has been edited by DREAMer (edited April 29, 2000).]

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

If we're going to have this discussion for a third time, can you do me a favor and not delete the post? And also please don't blame the "admins" when the post is deleted.

Thanks.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

3. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Clutch,

What are you talking about?

I went off in my "other" post, because I did think the admins deleted it. I also said in the same thread, that if Jenna had deleted it, then I would delete my babbling. I was wrong and I deleted it, what else do you want me to do?

Besides, this thread has nothing to do with my other thread. This thread is my opinion on how other members reacted to Jenna's thread. I didn't mention Jenna's thread being deleted once in this post.

[This message has been edited by DREAMer (edited April 29, 2000).]

4. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

DREAMer,

I need to get some sleep, so don't have the time to give a full writeup like I should. I should be able to do it Saturday evening. Since you didn't name names of those you deem guilty, I might have been included on your list. Since you are calling us (me) out, be prepared to respond to the points I will make in my post Saturday evening.

BTW, I never used profanity or anything offcolor in discussions or debates with Jenna or any other poster on this BBS.

Mango

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching

Donate Blood

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Uh-oh. Looks like everyone is against Clutch now. That's it. I'm leaving! [​IMG]

Just kidding DREAMer [​IMG] My point is that Jenna posted to get this very discussion going and when it didn't go too well it was deleted. You outlined why the admins should not have deleted her post and I wrote on the matter saying we didn't delete her post -- that also was deleted (if you wanted to say the admins shouldn't have deleted her comments only in the case they did, you could have emailed).

I'm tired of talking about this and having the comments deleted. That's all.

I think a lot of people (SpaceCity, Pole, thacabbage) made a lot of valid points in that first post, but again -- deleted.

I personally had nothing to do with any of the posts in question so I'm not defending myself, and I also already emailed Jenna on this and it was a nice exchange, but go back and <a href="http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000002-2.html">look at the posts in question</a> that led Jenna, and possibly you also, to think the quality of the BBS has deteriorated or that she was attacked.

Jenna posted her "I hate the WNBA" post and JuanValdez replied nicely in contrast, Calvin23 agreed with Jenna on some points, outlaw posted a rebuttal that apparently was taken personally (though I have no idea why) and then fromobile posted and the only thing he said that could have (and maybe should have) been taken personally was "Lighten up. My guess is that because you play, everyone around you assumed that you liked the WNBA so just to be a little rebel you decided to hate them."

From just those 4 posts, Jenna replied:

It looks like the "if Jenna posts it, it is automatically wrong, so we must gang up on her and try to make her look stupid" movement has returned to the BBS. It's not working.

Suddenly the whole BBS is a problem from 4 posts in a 60+ post thread of a 25,000+ post forum? Seriously, am I missing something?

I said it before: I really do like Jenna. She helped me a lot in getting the retro dates for the page -- she's a great person, very knowledgeable and extremely helpful whenever asked. I'll miss her on the board as she's fun to talk to. I hope we continue to email each other and I hope she returns to the BBS someday... and with that said I hope she takes this as constructive criticism: That reaction was overly sensitive, childish, self-centered and the subsequent "Jenna is leaving the BBS" (spoken in third person... ahh yes a Karl Malone fan indeed [​IMG] ) thread was pure grandstanding (once you can tolerate but the second time gets a touch old).

See, I think the opposite: I think the BBS will have deteriorated when we can't post conflicting opinions without all respect being lost, someone taking it personal and "leaving".

I don't think it's a topic even worth rehashing.

Good luck to you Jenna, hope you decide to return and contact me if I can help you out in any way...

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

[This message has been edited by Clutch (edited April 29, 2000).]

6. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Clutch,

"You outlined why the admins should not have deleted her post and I wrote on the matter saying we didn't delete her post -- that also was deleted (if you wanted to say the admins shouldn't have deleted her comments only in the case they did, you could have emailed).

I'm tired of talking about this and having the comments deleted. That's all"

I understand I should've emailed you. It was a knee-jerk reaction. I was looking for her post to see what other people had to say, and I couldn't find it.

But, in my defense, I clearly stated in my thread in question that, if I was incorrect, that I would delete the post so as not to cause any more bad feelings. And, as soon as I read your response, I deleted the thread.

--------------------------

On the topic of Jenna's threads: I too thought they were silly and somewhat childish. But, then I thought, "Do I feel they are silly and childish from a male's point of view, or have I looked at it from a female's point of view."

No matter what people tell you, men and women are different. If it had been a guy, and a newbie, then I could understand (even encourage) the strong reaction. But, it wasn't. It was a long time highly regarded member, who happened to be posting from a female's viewpoint. Not that she was trying to use the "sex card".

And, it's not just that she's a woman and I'm excusing her, I still think the threads were still self-indulgent. It's also the fact that she is such a strong poster. See, I'm not questioning the validity or lack thereof, of her posts, I'm questioning the reaction they produced from other members.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

All the fuss over opposing views! Can't we all just get along and agree to disagree! I think Jenna did overreact...I didn't see any personal attacks going on...just questions over opposing views. Hell...everyone has had their smack thrown back at them in forums every once in a while. If there is a conspiracy against Jenna, I certainly don't see it. If the WNBA debate was face-to-face, I don't think Jenna would have stormed out of the room in disgust. I think it would have been interpreted as being more "civil" and just being what it really is...opposing views and questioning others views. If there's something wrong with that, then we need to get rid of all forums on the Internet because it goes on every second of every day. It does not constitute conspiracies against certain individual posters most of the time....certainly not this time. If Jenna chooses to leave, then that is her perogative. But, plenty of people like her around here and in the chatroom so she should not be commenting that everyone is out to blast anything Jenna says as false and wrong. I'm certainly not and I can think of a ton of other forum members who aren't out to do that, also. Get over it!

Surfguy

------------------

8. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Have you ever forgotten to take out the trash? All of a sudden you're having hell incarnate brought down upon you only to find out 10 days ago you did something more substantial, or that was taken out of context.

That's the way I read Jenna's plea. I wrote a post on break yesterday, and I believe I was poster #19 (I have no idea if the post got much longer than that). But I do feel as if everyone was civil with Jenna (at the time). I pointed it out then and I'll point it out again, we tease/argue each other alot worse than that WNBA exchange on a daily basis.

The only way anything will change is if:
    a) she changes her moniker. I have dibs on ShannonTweed34.

b) something easier... just posting "I'm a dork, oops". She put herself on the precipice. She didn't fall over.

<font size="1" color="003366">The opinions expressed were those of a male. When read by one of Dreamer's females please imagine a dream sequence before and after the post with flowers and bunnies. The opinions expressed do not represent the BBS, Achebe or FABR</font>

------------------

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Dreamer,
    Recently, ClutchCity.Net lost a long-time member. She always posted clear well thought out posts. She never posted crap like, "shooting Hakeem", or "Trade Hakeem for Garnett". She was an asset.

I agree.

What I am upset about is the way some members totally trashed her. I guess I'm partially mad, because she is a woman, and I was brought up to treat men and women differently. I mean, I'll yell at a dude without giving it a second thought, but yelling at a girl would just be chickensh**. Remember women react differently to conflict and/or rivalry. They are not raised (for the most part) to desire competition. They don't have Testosterone.... But I've thought about it and I still think some of you overreacted regardless of her gender.

Can you give any instances of this? Who totally trashed her? What does her being a woman and not having testosterone have anything at all to do with this?

So, why did so many people get so upset about her post? Why does it matter if one member tries to get attention by posting a thread about them leaving or posting a thread about some dumbass trade that'll never happen? Or some poster emailing you and asking you to respond to their thread to keep it alive....

Ive never gotten upset by her posts. I got a little peeved by that one though. SHE is the one creating this imaginary rivalry between her and this "WWF" BBS as she called it. SHE was as guilty as anyone else, if not more so, in creating tension in that WNBA thread. To blame fellow posters of this BBS for making her leave is a cop out.

Another thing I don't understand is how many people were telling her that she should just ignore posts that she found irritating, and not complain about them. But, those same people were complaining about her post.... hmmmm Why didn't they take their own advice and just ignore her post? I don't know.

I think you are taking this out of context. People werent complaining about her post. She tried to make points about the BBS and its atmosphere, and people tried to refute them.

I just think she got treated like a newbie who just posted fourteen topics in 2 minutes all about dumbass stuff that has been hashed and rehashed.

I disagree. How can you honestly compare the response Jenna got to the FABR fiasco? You are really reaching there.

If ya'll didn't want to her come back, why didn't you just say it without crossing the line. Or if you didn't like her post, why couldn't you express that in a civil way? I don't know... maybe the whole newbie influx is starting to affect the entire quality of the BBS. Or maybe we're all in a bad mood after our 34 win season. Whatever the reason the outcome was not what I've come to expect out of the members here, especially some of the "senior" members.

Again, how did anyone cross the line? Most of the people in that last thread were not "newbies". None of the senior members were out of line. Their arguments were well reasoned and did not resort to name-calling or such.

Jenna was an asset.

For whatever reason, she cannot tolerate the BBS. Maybe the BBS changed, maybe she did. No one can say for sure. Change in of itself is not bad though. If this parting is beneficial for Jenna, which she evidently believes, then I am happy for her.

She was an asset. According to her, she wont be anymore. I am not going to lose sleep over it. There are plenty more interesting posters on this board.

my 2 cents.

Awaiting Mango's response.

10. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

I agree.

Jenna was a great poster. No doubt about it. But, she made her final post seem to be some sort of ultimatum (even if her intention to leave was always present). Either you agree with me all the time or else I'll leave. What? Did she think we would all cry and beg for her to come back? Yeah right.

I think she had some type of problem with the fact that some people could not understand her love for the Jazz. Seemingly, she began to take any one slightly negative comment and made it out to be something outrageously big. She saw the word "stupid" on a post, and immediately stated that we were all against her. She let the fact that she's a Jazz fan bother her, not the other way around. Sure, some people were dumb about it, but most of us kept our cool (even if we didn't understand her love for Karla).
    Sometimes, people come into this board posting a bunch of BS. So what? Leave them be or kick them out. FABR was an idiot and he attempted to offend some people. He wasn't part of the BBS, he tried to stain the community. It's not like Elie#17 is now declaring that he's leaving because we're all saying "your mean" whenever he posts.

Eventually, all of her posts either whined about the deterioration of the BBS or her hatred of the WNBA. Why don't you just give the damn tickets to someone else? I sure as hell would love to go to a Comets game. I've never been to one...

------------------
    Nederland 2000
    NBA+stupidity=Brand ROY
    NBA+common sense=Franchise MVP

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more!

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited April 29, 2000).]

11. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I am not referring to any other post except her last one, which let us all know that she was leaving. In THAT particular post, it is my opinion that a few senior member posters went overboard in their reaction to that particular post. I don't want to name names, but anyone who read it, knows who they are.

You guys are not comprehending the point I'm trying to make. I'm not talking about her being a Jazz fan. I'm not talking about her hating the WNBa. I'm not talking about her inability (real or imagined) to take criticism. I'm not talking about anything, but how some members lashed out at her in her final post. It showed a lack of class.

I didn't even read the WNBA post. But, while we're on that topic, why should she "give" anything away? As far as I know, not one poster offered to buy them from her.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

12. fromobile

fromobile Contributing Member

Whoa, what happenned? Did I do this? I need to start reading this board more often, I miss a lot of stuff. Could someone tell me if I ran Jenna away? Was it the WNBA post? It really wasn't that bad.

------------------

13. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

On the ticket thing:

Jenna always complains about how she hates going to games, which already pisses me off to begin with. Then, she says how much she hated the WNBA from the very beginning, yet she has season tickets and whines about how bad the WNBA is and how she never gets excited during these games.
    What? Everyone makes fun of suits who come to watch the games (leaving the real fan out on the street), but we can't say anything about Jenna's lack of enthusiasm?

When did anyone cross the line? I don't know if you consider me a senior member, but I sure as hell didn't. Jenna herself said more by bashing the entire BBS based on four posts that weren't even that insulting anyway.

I'm sorry if I feel like her self-centered post was a bunch of crap based on just that.

------------------
    Nederland 2000
    NBA+stupidity=Brand ROY
    NBA+common sense=Franchise MVP

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more!

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Dreamer,
    I am not referring to any other post except her last one, which let us all know that she was leaving.

You cant deny that post and the WNBA one were not connected though. She sited it as an example as why she was leaving. It is hard to talk about the last post w/o talking about that one.

In THAT particular post, it is my opinion that a few senior member posters went overboard in their reaction to that particular post. I don't want to name names, but anyone who read it, knows who they are.

IMO, I did not see that. But I guess we differ on that. I wish I could actually SEE the post again to determine this, cuz w/o examples this is a moot discussion.

You guys are not comprehending the point I'm trying to make. I'm not talking about her being a Jazz fan. I'm not talking about her hating the WNBa. I'm not talking about her inability (real or imagined) to take criticism. I'm not talking about anything, but how some members lashed out at her in her final post. It showed a lack of class.

Some members did, but i dont think it was any "senior" poster as you mentioned. And speaking of lack of class, what about her final post? She could have said her goodbyes, and adios. She did not need to take a shot at the BBS for her inability to handle it. But instead, JENNA showed a total lack of class.

15. fromobile

fromobile Contributing Member

Oh...I guess it wasn't me...phyew!

------------------

16. Achebe

Something momentous has occurred. The CriscoKidd has joined the 700 club.

Dreamer, you're leading us down a guessing game here. Please let us know what you mean. I admit that I only read the first 19 messages, so I may have missed something... but what are you talking about?

------------------

17. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

DREAMer,

The WNBA/Comets thread was rolling along fairly smooth with regulars posting back and forth about women's basketball and related topics. Nothing major in the way of disagreement amongst the posters or hatred for the WNBA. Sentiment ranged from enjoying the WNBA to bored with it. It extended to a second page and then Jenna made her initial post in that thread.

Her opening remarks:

Jenna:
    "I am a woman.

I play basketball.

I hate the WNBA."

She went on further explaining her dislikes about the WNBA, going to games and finding it exciting only one time.

She closed with:

"If people want to talk about the Comets, they should have their own place to do it -
    they can create a website, whatever; give them a forum here. Do whatever you
    want to do as long as I don't have to look at it."

She had to know that jumping into a relatively benign forum with such opinionated remarks was going to draw some reaction.
    Why she complained about the subsequent postings is beyond me because she came into that forum looking for a firefight. Since her dislikes were based only on HER opinions, that is a position that is often difficult to defend.

She should have expected negative feedback since she really stuck her nose in that thread with a very opinionated opening.
    Is that indicative of someone who does things in a clear well-thought out way?
    Let us know.

In her farewell thread, nothing really out of line caught my eye. This BBS is comprised of Rocket fans and that is the only common thread. Everything else,

basketball knowledge
    spelling ability
    word usage
    thought processes (ability to reason)
    opinions
    life experiences
    etc

differ from individual to individual. There is a middle ground that can be reached on most of the above attributes, but there will always be some things that will fall outside the norm. Absurdity that annoys me, delights LHutz. Spelling errors that Achebe points out are not even noticeable to those who are the first to sit down in a classroom spelling bee.

Among some of the posts in that thread were Achebe mentioning elitist and I followed up with pretentious. Fairly close in agreement on that. If we had used marginal (offcolor) language, then I could agree that we displayed a lack of class. Elitist and pretentious are not even close to marginal language.

You are asking why did we have that impression of her? Glad you asked.

In the Karl Malone - Bullard feud thread,
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/004918.html

Jenna takes Malone's side as expected.

Read her post toward the bottom addressed to Dreamshake and note that she comments about her waffles not arriving. I comment about her good fortune in life immediately afterward. Since this is a Rockets forum, bragging indirectly about her room service strikes me as very elitist/pretentious. Whether we are rich, poor or somewhere in between, it is not material to the discussions that we have. You already have knowledge about her having friends on several different NBA teams and her constant name-dropping in these forums.
    Why did she do that?
    To lend credibility to her opinions?
    To show that she has stroke when most of the rest of us don't?
    Let us know.

There was a thread about drafting and Leon Smith became a topic.
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/005154.html

Jenna has a post at 4:51 pm and she has fun with "Control V" and put in multiple times about Leon's troubles.

1) Because he was discovered wearing war paint and claiming to be an indian fighting Christopher Columbus a few short months ago.

That phrase is repeated a minimum of 5 times in that single post. It was annoying for me and probably others also that had to scroll down past the frivolous warpaint item.
    She undoubtedly thought she was quite funny doing that.

On the same day, but another thread, posters are commenting about Leon Smith attending Rockets games. http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/005146.html
    Jenna mentioned that she had talked to him and didn't even realize that it was Leon.

I responded with a sarcastic comment about Leon needing to wear his warpaint so she could recognize him. My post about Leon's warpaint was less than 2 hours from her "Control V" posting about Leon and warpaint.
    She acted as if she had no clue of the takeoff I had done on one of her earlier posts.
    Why did she think that she could be funny, yet everyone else had to deal with her in a formal way? Pretentious? Elitist?
    Let us know.

These are incidents that I have had direct involvement with. Ask around and other SENIOR members of this BBS can cite their own differences with Jenna.

Mango

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching

Donate Blood

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited April 29, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited April 29, 2000).]

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I like Jenna alot too. She and I have had some great exchanges on the BBS in Clutch Chat and via email, but I don't think this is a girl/boy, man/woman issue. My wife would never take that stuff seriously and, honestly, if it bothers you that much, why even post a big long "Whoa is me. I must leave..." stuff. Just go.

Don't get me wrong. I think Jenna is way cool and I don't want to hurt her feelings and, sure, the BBS can be a little rough at times but I can agree to disagree and even find common ground with just about anybody here.

I've certainly disagreed with Kagy, the Freak, Dr. No (SOR only) and numerous other over the years, but I've always been able to see this for what it is - a simple difference of opinion. I could take it personally, but why? With all due respect to ClutchCity and the BBS, I have more important things in my life to be concerned with then someone's flame in my direction on the BBS.

Jenna, if you are reading this, I don't mean to take any shots at you. God knows I've had enough people direct them my way. I didn't get many, but when SOR first started, I got some VERY nasty email. Some that I wouldn't be allowed to post here, but that didn't make me quit or piss me off. For every person who flames you, Jenna, there are 10 who think you are pretty cool, so, just ignore it and post because we like you here. Honest.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

19. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

I love you Jenna! come back sweetie.
    I really enjoy reading the women's point of view at Clutchcity. I think that Smeggy Smeg, Heypartner, and Yourself are the best damn female basketball minds around. I really hope you come back.
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by ROCKETBOOSTER (edited April 29, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by ROCKETBOOSTER (edited April 29, 2000).]

20. Achebe

That is Jenna, not Jeanna [​IMG]

Mango,

I am not that bad. I kept myself from counting the misspelled words in your friend's 2nd post. I bite my tongue unless I am bored.

Next, we will stop conjunctions on the bbs. j/k [​IMG]

------------------