1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Van Gundy Says Mavs Had Best Draft Night

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OrangeRowdy95, Jun 24, 2011.

1. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Member

At the end of the draft, the analysts went around the table to discuss which teams they thought had the best night. Jon Barry said Washington. Jay Bilas said Cleveland (I think). Jeff Van Gundy, however, said Dallas had the best night by acquiring Rudy Fernandez and Petteri Koponen for the 26th pick. He said Fernandez is still a very good NBA player and is good enough to be a starter, and with Stevenson, Marion, Barea and Peja being free agents, this was the best deal of the night.

I looked up this Koponen kid. He's got mad game. Would be great as a third stringer on the Mavs.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aGEK7USKl9M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Jay bilas said Jazz

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When asking who had the best draft, it should be clarified whether it's based on (1) how well a team did with their draft position or (2) just on acquired talent.

4. HumbleDan

HumbleDan Member

X-Rockets (we have so many)try not to seem biased on the air, like Barry almost never replies about the Rockets, now ask Van Gundy when not on the air, and he usually favors the Rockets. You see they do not work for us any longer and try to be over professional.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think Utah had the best night drafting players, coming away with Kanter and Burks is just an amazing night

6. Kim

Kim Member

Van Gundy has always been a "win now" guy and not a "draft talent for the future" evaluator. We're talking about a man that brought in a 45-yr-old Mark Jackson, and 49-yr-old Oakley, Clarence Weatherspoon, David Wesley, Jim Jackson...

So of course he's going to love the Dallas trade for an established vet.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

Well, it's not like the Mavericks are going to be contenders for long. If they get ALL the right pieces this off-season; they'll have one last chance to make a run. I'm praying that they fail.

8. saleem

saleem Member

I agree,but the Mavs got the most out by giving up very little.