1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jaywalking Ticket

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Baseballa, Oct 26, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Well, walking home from campus I just got a jaywalking ticket. I crossed in the crosswalk, but the little red hand was up. The officer admitted that he saw me look both ways, and no cars were coming, but apparently some person got hit yesterday so today was "no tolerance." Is there a more frustrating ticket than this?

Anyway, has anyone else gotten one of these dandies? What am I looking at for punishment?

2. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

It all depends... If your in Texas and black and can prove you got a mental handicap... then your screwed death penalty....if not probably 35 bucks or so..

1 person likes this.
  3. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

good sir, do you happen to go to UT?

A handful of apd officers linger around 24th st and hand those things out like candy on halloween. Prick bastards should be dealing with the toothless crack feigns on the drag begging for money, but they'd rather hassle students walking to class

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow. How much did it cost you?

#4 RudyTBag, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  5. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

HAHA! I do go to UT and it was the 24th and Guadalupe intersection.

6. Asian Sensation

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

i think grogrux95rocket got a jay walking ticket before also, if i recall.

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

The only place where I'm seen jaywalking tickets given out anywhere in America is actually in Austin. I've attended SXSW for most of the past few years, and I saw the APD handing out these jay walking tickets.

Coincidentally or not, I was really interested in this process so I stood around to see how many people would get cited for jay walking and it seemed that the police officer would only write up people of colour. This was only based on me standing around 6th Street area for about 25 minutes. I was fascinated by this whole spectacle and it was kind of funny seeing the offender's reaction.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I saw a cop giving a ticket to a kid on campus today for Skateboarding. Apparently it is against the rules, yet 5,000 kids do it on a daily. Pretty stupid, the cops decide to give about 500+ skateboarding tickets once a month here, I guess today was the day.

10. The Drake

The Drake Member

oh wow, I cross that intersection every day on my way to class.

The chance to cross while the man is on is way too short there...it seems I'm always crossing while the hand is up. Guess I need to be more careful...

11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I don't mean to pick on you, but I think it's funny how the internet exposes people when they misuse or mispronounce certain words or phrases that they otherwise get away with in face to face conversations.

Examples are...

"Mine as well" instead of "Might as well"

"Should of" or "Could of" instead of "Should've" or "Could've"

"Supposably" instead of "Supposedly"

"For all intensive purposes" instead of "For all intents and purposes"

Anyway, I believe the word you were looking for is "fiends".

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

It's like that here... a cop will see a kid skateboarding... and it's not permitted on campus... but they just ignore it... and then another day someone will be cited for just having the skateboard in their possession on campus... it's stupid. lol... School newspaper openly dissed the PD on campus with all kinds of blatant cuss words and insults... it was hilarious.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

yessir. it appears that baseballa didn't tell the cop to **** off after receiving the ticket, so he's one step ahead of me.

it's just a fine.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You can get it dismissed by taking a defensive walking class.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    What a terrible waste... :(

:) Hi, I'm actor Troy McClure! You might remember me from such driver's ed films as "Alice's Adventures Through The Windshield Glass" and "The Decapitation of Larry Leadfoot." For the next sixty minutes, we'll be seeing actual film of car crash victims.

16. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

So I just called the Community Court that issued the ticket, and they said I will probably get community service and a fine ranging from $0-$500...

:eek:

Does this seem ridiculously excessive to anyone else? Community service AND a fine for crossing an empty street at 11pm? Also, the cop said he saw me cross midwalk across Guadalupe (which was technically correct... I was like 3 feet outside the crosswalk :rolleyes: ) and told me he was doing me a favor by not giving me two citations, but I looked online and the Downtown Austin Community Court does not have jurisdiction over Guadalupe St.

Also, this is from the DACC website:

Yes, because jaywalking is obviously comparable to these offenses. Give me a ****ing break. :rolleyes:

17. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

"Were" and "is" are not in agreement (past and present tense). Take your pick:

Anyway, I believe the word you are looking for is "fiends."

OR

Anyway, I believe the word you were looking for was "fiends."

We can both play English teacher, my friend.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I seriously doubt you get both, and that the fine is anywhere near $500. Maybe that is for crossing the Interstate?

19. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Just practice sprinting with your backpack and outrun the bastards.

20. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I LOL'ed.