1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Kidd wants Deron Williams to get double digit assist this season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Aug 25, 2013.

1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/nets/2013/08/jason-kidd-has-a-statistical-goal-for-deron-williams

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Good news for every other team. It's hard to come up with a more meaningless stat than number of assists for a single player. Who cares.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Would have been nice to have Deron focus more on assist during our playoff battle of last decade.

4. SK34

SK34 Member

Its not meaningless.

Nash with assist led the Phoenix suns to be pretty decent and great offensively.

CP3 does well at assisting his team which helps them as a team.

If Deron can do that, it would be great because he'll be playing the role of Rondo but he will still be able to score. He does have the shooting ability which rondo doesn't have.

Joe Johnson and Pierce would then just need to move around and catch and shoot.

He would be pretty good at running pick and pop with KG, similar to the Deron and Boozer pick and pop.

He would also be able to do the same with Brooks. Pick and Pop and Pick and Roll.

5. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

He should be pushing Deron to be the best player he can be, regardless of assists or points. Although I can see where he is coming from, statistical goals can be a great motivator.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Name a person with double digit assists that won a championship not named Magic or Oscar Robinson who power forwards playing point guard. Double digit assists for a single player is pretty meaningless when it comes to championships.

1 person likes this.
  7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

So Deron was a bit overweight all that time after all

I'm not a great believer that double digit assists means much. Not many title winners have double digit assist point guards. But nearly all of them have a double digit rebounder

Though Deron Williams is still their best overall player. And they need their best player to perform well to go anywhere

8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Brook Lopez> D Will

9. Major

Major Member

The stat itself is meaningless, but the larger goes isn't - where the meaning comes from is if it makes Deron focus more on being a passer/facilitator in general, and if that improves the team's winning.

10. AFS

AFS Member

I'm excited to see the return of Dwill as a fantasy monster.

11. ln3012

ln3012 Member

what individual statistic is meaningful when it comes to championships?

i think you're missing the bigger picture here

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Isn't that his point? That Kidd should focus on the bigger picture rather than DWill's assist numbers? To me DWill's primary job should be to understand where the new guys want the ball. Where do they operate optimally and make sure you pass the ball to them.

Assist numbers also indicate high usage rate for the most part. And NJ is one team where you don't want this from any player. They'll operate best with usage spread out.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The most meaningful stat offensively for individual players is scoring average with high TS%.

Look at all the star players like Dirk and Lebron that won championships and they normally won in years when their true shooting percentage was up.

14. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Dwills game reminds me alot of Harden

Both have the ability to drop 40, both very ball dominant, loves to take step back 3s and are more one sided players (no defense). Dwill passes a bit more as he gets over 7 assist but I think their games are very similar

15. Houston22

Houston22 Member

No, this is not the point. You must do both, get players conformable and focus on the big picture.
    Anyways, "to understand where the new guys want the ball. Where do they operate optimally and make sure you pass the ball to them" is not something that is opposed to "getting more assists".

I think Kidd is right.