1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jan 6 committee claims enough evidence has been found to indict Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

Members of the House committee investigating the Capitol riot said Sunday they have uncovered enough evidence for the Justice Department to consider an unprecedented criminal indictment against former President Donald Trump for seeking to overturn the results of the 2020 election.

The committee announced that Trump’s campaign manager, Bill Stepien, is among the witnesses scheduled to testify at a hearing Monday that focuses on Trump’s effort to spread his lies about a stolen election. Stepien was subpoenaed for his public testimony.

As the hearings unfold, Rep. Adam Schiff said he would like the department to “investigate any credible allegation of criminal activity on the part of Donald Trump.” Schiff, D-Calif., who also leads the House Intelligence Committee, said that ”there are certain actions, parts of these different lines of effort to overturn the election that I don’t see evidence the Justice Department is investigating.”

The committee launched its public hearings last week, with members laying out their case against Trump to show how the defeated president relentlessly pushed his false claims of a rigged election despite multiple advisers telling him otherwise and how he intensified an extraordinary scheme to overturn Joe Biden’s victory.

Additional evidence is to be released in hearings this week, Democrats say, that will demonstrate that Trump and some of his advisers engaged in a “massive effort” to spread misinformation, pressured the Justice Department to embrace his false claims, and urged then-Vice President Mike Pence to reject state electors and block the vote certification on Jan. 6, 2021.

Stepien, a longtime Trump ally, is now a top campaign adviser to the Trump-endorsed House candidate in Wyoming’s Republican primary, Harriet Hageman, who is challenging Rep. Liz Cheney, the committee’s vice chair and a vociferous critic of the former president. A Trump spokesman, Taylor Budowich, suggested that the committee’s decision to call Stepien was politically motivated.

Monday’s witness list also includes BJay Pak, the top federal prosecutor in Atlanta who left his position on Jan. 4, 2021, a day after an audio recording was made public in which Trump called him a “never-Trumper”; Chris Stirewalt, the former political editor for Fox News; noted Washington elections attorney Benjamin Ginsberg; and Al Schmidt, a former city commissioner in Philadelphia.

The panel will also focus on the millions of dollars Trump’s team brought in fundraising in the run-up to Jan. 6, according to a committee aide who insisted on anonymity to discuss the details.

The committee has said most of those interviewed in the investigation are coming forward voluntarily, although some have wanted subpoenas to appear in public. Filmmaker Nick Quested, who provided documentary footage of the attack, said during last week’s hearing he received a subpoena to appear.

Committee members said they would present clear evidence that “multiple” GOP lawmakers, including Rep. Scott Perry, R-Pa., had sought a pardon from Trump, which would protect him from prosecution. Perry on Friday denied he ever did so, calling the assertion an “absolute, shameless, and soulless lie.”

“We’re not going to make accusations or say things without proof or evidence backing it,” said Rep. Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill.

Lawmakers indicated that perhaps their most important audience member over the course of the hearings may be Attorney General Merrick Garland, who must decide whether his department can and should prosecute Trump. They left no doubt as to their own view whether the evidence is sufficient to proceed.

“Once the evidence is accumulated by the Justice Department, it needs to make a decision about whether it can prove to a jury beyond a reasonable doubt the president’s guilt or anyone else’s,” Schiff said. “But they need to be investigated if there’s credible evidence, which I think there is.”

Rep. Jamie Raskin, D-Md., said he doesn’t intend to “browbeat” Garland but noted the committee has already laid out in legal pleadings criminal statutes they believe Trump violated.

“I think that he knows, his staff knows, the U.S. attorneys know, what’s at stake here,” Raskin said. “They know the importance of it, but I think they are rightfully paying close attention to precedent in history as well, as the facts of this case.”

Garland has not specified whether he would be willing to prosecute, which would be unprecedented and may be complicated in a political election season in which Trump has openly flirted with the idea of running for president again.

No president or ex-president has ever been indicted.

Richard Nixon resigned from office in 1974 as he faced an impeachment and a likely grand jury indictment on charges of bribery, conspiracy and obstruction of justice. President Gerald Ford later pardoned his predecessor before any criminal charges related to Watergate could be filed.

Legal experts have said a Justice Department prosecution of Trump over the riot could set an uneasy precedent in which an administration of one party could more routinely go after the former president of another.

“We will follow the facts wherever they lead,” Garland said in his speech at Harvard University’s commencement ceremony last month.

A federal judge in California said in a March ruling in a civil case that Trump “more likely than not” committed federal crimes in seeking to obstruct the congressional count of the Electoral College ballots on Jan. 6, 2021. The judge cited two statutes: obstruction of an official proceeding, and conspiracy to defraud the United States. Trump has denied all wrongdoing.

https://apnews.com/article/capitol-...al-elections-d87892379e7e81c2907edef81a3b2b86

Andre0087 and Deckard like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

as to why there’s reluctance

A person familiar with the matter told NBC News there have been conversations inside the Justice Department about the far-reaching implications of pursuing a case against Trump, should it come to that. So far, no public evidence has surfaced that the former president has become a criminal target.

“We will follow the facts wherever they lead,” Garland said in his speech at Harvard University’s commencement ceremony last month. His deputy, Lisa Monaco, has confirmed that prosecutors were looking into the legal ramifications for those who took part in schemes to push slates of fake Electoral College members declaring Trump the winner of states Joe Biden won.

Filing criminal charges against Trump in connection with his efforts to overturn the election “will very likely spark civil unrest, and maybe even civil war,” said Barbara McQuade, an NBC legal analyst and a former U.S. attorney.

But, she said, “I think not charging is even worse, because not charging means you failed to hold someone criminally accountable who tried to subvert our democracy.”

Either way, “It’s a momentous and unprecedented decision — not as easy as some folks might imagine it to be,” said Chuck Rosenberg, an NBC News legal analyst who is a former federal prosecutor and former head of the Drug Enforcement Administration.

mdrowe00, Andre0087 and Deckard like this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nail down the evidence, present that evidence during these hearings, and if it is sufficient to indict trump for conspiring to "overturn the results of the 2020 election," then trump should be charged and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. In my opinion, it's clear that trump conspired to overturn the 2020 election in order to illegally remain in office.

Whether Attorney General Garland, the Justice Department, and ultimately President Biden, have the courage to carry out their duty to the country and prosecute the former president, should the evidence against trump be shown to be irrefutable (and I think it will be), remains to be seen. These hearings have just begun and it is early days, but they are off to a strong start, in my opinion.

Andre0087 likes this.
  4. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

This is the key concern. Obviously, if the GOP takes control in 2024, be it Trump or otherwise, this is the outcome we need to avoid. Otherwise, the fate of America is literally in the balance. We'll simply then go from one coup to the next like other 3rd world countries.

Of course, if we don't hold Trump accountable, we'll simply go from one coup to the next.

I hope the voting public awakens and holds our politicians to common decency.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

they must hold Trump accountable, but I will be genuinely surprised if they do so

ROCKSS and Blatz like this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Imagine if the Warren Report concluded with evidence that Ted Cruz’s father was the grassy knoll shooter but J Edgar never indicted Cruz Sr.

The Jan 6 committee report regardless of what Garland does will be a huge huge part of our history. Now if it happens again and again then it won’t because we won’t have accurate history under an autocratic country moving forward.

So Garland has to ask himself what happens next. I think that’s why a former prosecutor is scheduled to give public testimony. To lay out exactly what it means moving forward for a justice system that shows that its a system that does not have equal justice.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This outcome is going to happen anyway. There's no doubt the next GOP president will go after Biden, Pelosi, and any other Dem they can using the JD

Phillyrocket, ROCKSS, Blatz and 4 others like this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I think they have to. Trump's transgression here was historically egregious. To attempt to undermine an election - not just declaring it fraud but to try to overturn the result using false accusations and efforts with bogus attack, and then encourage a riot.

Yeah, he needs to be held accountable. If our system fails in its resolve on this, our democracy is gone. If he can get away with his actions, then every President and politician will employ his tactics to try to weaken the election process to change results. He must be held accountable.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Do or Die time for America

Rocket River

Rashmon, mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, and they won't think twice. They won't be sitting back worried that something bad will happen down the road.

11. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I think it's best for Garland to indict him only if Georgia doesn't. It holds him accountable without the AG and Justice Department having to get involved.

No Worries likes this.
  12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I think it would be best if faced multiple indictments

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If convicted, Trump would have to look to Gov Brian Kemp for a pardon who Trump is at war with.

Biden is more likely to pardon Trump ... out of respect for the office.

14. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Good. They need to go after them all. There's far too much corruption now

15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

There is no way he's even considering that, it would defeat the purpose of this whole ordeal and show that the President IS above the law.

deb4rockets likes this.
  16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

From different states yes I agree but I still think it's best if the DOJ can stay out of it or we'll see a repeat of it over and over depending on political affiliation. Hate to go down that rabbit hole...

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I see what you're saying, but I just feel like the feds can be more thorough. Honestly, I have far from the requisite expertise to know what the Feds could do that the states couldn't. I just feel like if Trump succeeds in the state courts, it would be good to have the Federal charges still pending.

Also, I want to give the violent supporters of Trump enough rope to hang themselves and lure them out into the open so we crack down on them as well.

Andre0087 likes this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Going after select people who did not commit a crime for political reasons is the end of US democracy.

Andre0087 likes this.
  19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Nixon. Precedence already set. If you like instead, Biden could commute the sentence ... leaving Trump a Convicted Felon.

20. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

If he had been impeached and removed from office I have no doubt Pence would have pardoned him. This is a completely different situation though.