1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jamison wins 6th Man of the Year Award

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by coma, Apr 21, 2004.

1. coma

coma Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1786929

Jamison to get Sixth Man Award

ESPN.com news services

DALLAS -- For his play in his first season coming off the bench, Mavericks forward Antawn Jamison will earn the NBA's Sixth Man Award, league sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein on Wednesday.

The official announcement will come on Friday.

Until this season, Jamison had been a starter every season for the Warriors. Jamison, though, accepted a new role with his new team this season, and has flourished, averaging 14.8 points per game.

Al Harrington of the Pacers, Desmond Mason of the Bucks and Manu Ginobili of the Spurs were also considered serious contenders for the Sixth Man Award.

Jamison had a big game in the Mavs' playoff opener, scoring 18 points in 20 minutes, but struggled in Game 2 due to tight hamstrings. The Mavs are down 2-0 to the Kings.

Not even a sniff for Mo Taylor!

2. pasox2

pasox2 Member
    Supporting Member

Jamison sucks. He's not half as good as Harrington. He's a max contract tweener. He was booted from the 4 spot in favor of Danny Fortson and/or Troy Murphy; he was booted from the 3 spot in favor of Dunleavy. He can't defend, he has no advantage against the real stars in the league at either position.

Ginolbili should be the real winner. That guy breaks games. He's the only difference maker on the list.

3. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

Manu is a faux 6th man. He started half the games and is their 2nd most important player.

As for Jamison, he does create match-up problems, both for his team and for other teams. He makes a great 6th man because of the latter. Further, he was the most important cog in GS best seasons in recent memory I believe. Golden State didn't exactly improve with him gone. He is a good player with some limitations.

4. Uprising

Uprising Member

J Freakin Amison?! He wasn't even one of the guys I thought would win.

5. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Member

Jamison is good. He would be good on the Rockets.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

I don't see how you can argue with that decision. The guy is good. I'd take him over Taylor a 100 times out of a 100.

7. crossover

crossover Member

bobby jackson should have won again if not for his injuries

8. dirtyfithynasty

Jamison has been the front runner the whole year. Were you thinking that Mo Taylor was going to win?

9. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Member

MoTay only getting one 1st place vote + 3 3rd place votes is a joke!

10. ROCS4LIFE

ROCS4LIFE Member

So the NBA has pull another one. First they robed Carmelo for ROY. Now they have robed Manu Ginobili. That's just wrong. Don't they look at statitics.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

actually rocs i think they robbed bobby jackson, this guy was still playing at the very high level at the begining of the season and if not for that late season injury he should have won that award. What really irks me about jamison winning this award is that he has been a starter all his life, probably could have been an all star forward in the EAST during his best season who was regulated to the bench just because of the fact that dallas had two other much more versatile forwards to begin with. I dunno it sorta cheapens the meaning of the award when a guy who has been like the #1 option and a starter on his previous time for the entire duration career wins the award for one season off the bench, but whatever i guess 6th man award is always one of those consolations awards i felt. It really doesnt matter who wins it, since its a stat award. Players can come off the bench and mean much more to their team than the box score would indicate