1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Posey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AMS, Oct 17, 2003.

1. AMS

AMS Member

Is it just me or do us rockets fans tend to overrate players that we let go in free agency. many people on this board seem to be irked with the fact that we didnt sign him up for the long term. but here is my argument to all of this.

MoT had a pretty good year and we signed him up. result = one injured big non rebounding powerforward.

Mooch upseted bryce drew for the backup PG spot and had some awesome games filling in for francis, and now we have a short player who cant shoot, and dribbles too much.

Cato had one good preseason and we locked him up for 6 years. 3 of those we spent bashing him more than we do all others combined. although it is starting to pay off now

Im just saying that if we had siigned posey for a 3-4 year deal then we would be stuck with another player long term. and if he by anychance had sucked, then well another hit at the salary cap. and the way we seem to pay these players they dont care after they get payed. atleast thats what i feel happened with cato, mooch and MoT.

now we have 3 players who can do the same thing posey could do.
    shoot 3 - piatkowski
    slash - jackson
    defense - A.griff

and all this without spending the same amount of money!!!

2. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Member

yeah.. wow.. what a sight.. just like the hundreds and hundreds of james posey = pike, agriff, jj, cato threads.:rolleyes: we definitely need a new thread for this! :rolleyes:

3. wiws316

wiws316 Member

LOL

4. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I'll admit this thread might be a little late but no reason to rip the guy for it.

5. thumbs

thumbs Member

The only flaw in your logic is that you can only replace Posey with one of those guys at a time, i.e. three one-dimensional players is not necessarily better than one guy with all three skills.

6. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Member

he was a good perimiter defender....not what i would call all that well rounded. he didnt have good dribbling skills, which killed his slashing ability....i hated watching him go herky-jerky into the lane and do that ugly spin move.....other than the last month of the season....he didnt even hint at being a decent shooter...

7. AMS

AMS Member

and we have so many fans that were out to give this man a 3-4 year contract.

8. GATER

GATER Member

thumbs -
    Points to consider...

Which game does Posey bring on any particular night? And how often does he bring them all? If he brought them all on every single night, he'd have been worth much more than a shade above the MLE for 4 years (Think Rashard Lewis who makes about $2m more but has far fewer flaws in his game).

His defensive game? D is about attitude and AGriffin is his equal, a better scorer and with playoff experience.

His long-range game? Pike blows him out of the water.

His post up game? Debatable whether he's worth >2X as much as JJax for about the same low post game.

Slashing, finishing and rebounding? IMHO, by the end of the season Nachbar may have you saying "James Who"?

And how much more valuable are three or four players if Posey were injured?

Imbedded in all of this is the fact that Posey's contract with Memphis is 1 year longer than JJax, Pike, Boki and 2 years longer than AGriff.

If we start from the position that the Rox want to be in the WC Finals 2 or 3 seasons from now, the 3 or 4 players taking his
    minutes (place) offer a subststantially greater amount of flexibilty contract wise IMO.

But if you're still not convinced, we can revisit this right after the Rox 2nd game of the regular season...@ home vs Memphis...
    :)

9. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

posey proved himself over the course of his career. It's not like he was an unknown full of potential. We got what we wanted , a guy who hustles and does the little things that matter. I don't remember him complaining one bit either and he just went out and did his job. Maybe he's not a superstar ball hog but maybe that's what the team needed.
    The Rockets also got what they wanted in MoT at the time, a foward who doesn't rebound. I don't think he was going to change that once we got him. (Unless Van Gundy can do something about that). And moochie? come on! he's a great act and all and we knew he could dribble and shoot the occasional three, but at the time that's what rudy wanted apparently although i'm not too crazy about him. I agree we are signing the wrong players and not the right ones because i believe they shouldn't have let posey go. But i assume it's just a financial decision because of all their bone headed mistakes of signing those other guys. By the way i think cato is coming into his own. I just think he needed to be pushed hard and i think van gundy will do just that.......

10. Smoke

Smoke Member

The sad truth is Posey would be here if it wasn't for the money. He is a better player than any of his replacements. Sadder still, Les would have made a profit, even with the luxury tax. Bottom line, the team took one for the boss. That's what the business is all about.

11. JPM0016

JPM0016 Member

i don't think so. I would much rather have Adrian Griffin, Eric Piakowski and Jim Jackson.

12. haven

haven Member

That's disingenuous.

The question isn't whether he's better than any 1 of his replacements (and I don't think he is better than Jackson), but rather, whether he's better than all of them. And whether his skills would have been redundant, overall.

I think the answer has to be yes. He was a decent player, but is probably slighltly overpaid... and the Rockets managed to pick up strength in #'s and quality.

13. leroy

leroy Member

you should've been hired for GM, with that ESP you have and all. You can actually predict the impact of a player before they even suit up for a regular season game. Let's just sign everyone to 1 year non-guaranteed deals so, if they are a bust, we can just let them go. I'm sure Stevie and Yao would go for that. They wouldn't leave, would they?

14. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I'm not sure I agree with this. I think part of managements reasoning for not signing posey was because Nachbar would never get a chance to develop. He just wouldn't. And they had faith that Boki could play in this league and was a better fit for the team. Van gundy has said it, foremost peimeter players need to be shooters and that's what the Rockets got in Piatkowski and JJ maybe Nachbar. Posey was just to inconsistent. Why sign someone who is not right fit for your team.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

I think Posey is a very good player- but he had a major flaw- SHOOTING. Our offense is going to be run through Yao and Steve, the rest of the guys have to hit the open jumpers. Jim Jackson and Piatkowski fit that role better. They also smart and team-oriented like Posey was.

What we will miss is the gambling defense that produced chaos and steals and the one-man fast breaks. It would have been nice to still have him, but it's not going to make or break us.

16. sonique15

sonique15 Member

when they double Yao, id rather have Pike open than PoZ......

17. serious black

serious black Member

Anybody know how Posey is doing in the preseason?

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

This is such a bottom-line truth. He could not even shoot that well in college, and I was a big fan of his college team.

JVG has been talking non-stop about surrounding Stevie and Yao with shooters, which should make sense to anyone who enjoyed our success in the Hakeem years. Arguably, losing Posey for two guys who can really shoot the ball and another guy who shoots at least as well as Posey is just not a bad deal. Don't under-rate depth in the NBA.

19. MemphisX

MemphisX Member

He has had 15 steals in the 1st 4 games this preseason with 2 games of five steals. We won't ask him to score as Pau and Mike Miller will be our primary scorers. He is not a future All Star but has a chance to be on the All defensive team this seaon. I am very happy with what I have seen of his defense, he is a monster in the passing lanes and is not totally inept on offense.

20. hgpan

hgpan Member

maybe you can blame Rudi for the development of players--no discipline. Let¡¯s see how they respond to Jeff