1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Jr. is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Jul 7, 2023.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Another poor victim that got screwed over by the incompetent silas and the stupid kpj head honcho offense.

Radricky, plegus, A_3PO and 1 other person like this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Clutchfans really has to be more patient with these guys. They are learning and you can tell they are trying. Jabari didn’t ball watch as much last night and was solid. They may not be superstars, but if they can turn into super role players or even potential all star, man we will be alright. Sengun is showing that he is the guy. The way Sengun plays the games, these guys will be able to feed off him, we just need to be ****ing patient and stop complaining so much about them not being who we thought they would be.

cbass, Icehouse, Easy and 1 other person like this.
  3. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Yes if you don’t think Smith is going to end up being KG with more range you’re a hater.

Dude just needs to be a 45/40/85 4th option shooter who plays above average D. If he can do that he’ll have a 15 year career.

4. astros123

astros123 Member

Is it?

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

napalm06 and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Fans are weird about Jabari Smith.

First, I never thought he would be franchise player because he lacks the ball handling. Having said that, he can be a multiple time all star.

I am not sure why Jabari gets singled out. First, he is younger and less experienced than Green and Sengun.

Second, he doesn’t need to be as good a scorer as Green or Sengun. Smith is clearly the best defender of those three and still has the highest upside as a defender.

Third, he is shooting far better than last year. He is only 20 years old and will certainly score more in the future.

He is capable of scoring close to 20 points a game and 8-10 rebounds a game while defending very well and hitting 3’s… that is a pretty damn good player.

TheJet, Arnel, Deuce and 18 others like this.
  7. Brad Newley the Goat

If he wasn’t a top 3 pick he would be playing G League

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Bari is an ok role player right now.

The SG position is the one we are not getting out of what we need.

GotGame15 likes this.
  9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Bari is fine as a bench forward. Getting outplayed by Hachimura wasn't the best look though.

10. Risingred

Risingred Member

Bari is alright. He does need to get bigger and stronger.

Arnel, GotGame15 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Hachimura ia 25 and probably has 10-20 lbs on Jabari.
    Jabari will get stronger and bigger. Not too worried about Jabari. He will still be a very good bigman/ 3'n D player very soon.

Arnel and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Jabari "JaMychal Green" Smith

13. Entropy

Entropy Member

According to a few advanced stats:

In DWS, Alperen is ranked #22. Smith is ranked #48.
    In DBPM, Alperen is ranked #15. Smith is ranked #88.

Obviously those are just two stats, but in my opinion of the three, Alperen is currently the better defender based on what I've seen so far. And it makes sense, Jabari is still in his 2nd year.

I agree that Jabari does have the highest upside as a defender, it will be up to him to reach it.

roslolian and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I like Jabari a lot and think he’s gonna be just fine, but he’s not going to be anything like KG.

KG is a legit top 30 (maybe higher) all time player. He averaged 23/13/5 with elite defense his last 5 years in Minnesota. KG with 3pt range at Jabari’s volume is a top 15 player.

Rasheed Wallace and LaMarcus Aldridge are good comps for him as long, jump shooting PFs that can play center in limited minutes. Jabari doesn’t have the playmaking skills to be compared to KG.

He’ll be a low 20s scorer, solid not great rebounder and a versatile, plus defender. That is a very good player to have on your team at 6’11”.

Easy likes this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

As always, defensive stats are tricky.

When your stuck on Lebron for a lot of the night and other premier perimeter scorers then yeah, your defensive stats might not pop.

There were so many possessions last night where I saw him play great defense and Lebron just hit tough jumpers over him.

Like right now Sengun's DWS is better than Giannis, Brooks, Dort, Durant...

Defensive stats are really tricky.

Arnel, harold bingo and Easy like this.
  16. invocux

invocux Member

Yea this is doable for him. I think if he bulks up a little he could be a presence in the paint. Defensively certainly there are rooms to grow offensively he's extremely limited unfortunately. I think his potential is somewhere between MPJ-H.Barnes and 6'11 Otto Porter with worse 3pt shooting. If he becomes as good as one MPJ-HB then he's an ok pick i guess that means he could be a great role player in a championship team. Otto with worse 3pt shooting would be sad.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Alpi just seems to be a lot stronger than Jabari, especially seems to have a stronger base (cannot be moved out of position very easily). In terms of leaping ability, I think they are about the same, but Alpi has more power. Bari even said it himself. That's why I tend to think Bari is worse as a post defender, but better the further away it's from the basket - he is slimmer, thinner legs, so he can move his feet more quickly laterally. But at the same time, he doesn't have the strength to combat true bigs. Not sure this will ever change.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yes, and even if he never becomes an all-star, he is the type of roleplayer that all NBA teams want. 6'10", switchable defender, three point threat, can get his jump shot off over almost anybody? These guys get paid. Maybe not quite max dollars, but not far off.

Arnel, roslolian, Easy and 2 others like this.
  19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I'm not at all worried about Jabari. His 3 percentage is up, his TS% is up, and he's playing great defense (107.5 defensive rating). Him, Brooks, and Segun are a great frontcourt that fit together quite well and should play together for the Rockets for a long time. Also, Smith is under under contract for a while, and Sengun is an easy max decision.

The backcourt is a far bigger question to me. Will Green breakthrough and be that bucket we need to complement the frontcourt, or do we need to start thinking about other options? Will Amen replace FVV, or will FVV be a fixture of our team going forward?

roslolian and OremLK like this.
  20. subtomic

subtomic Member
    Supporting Member

Jabari has so little explosiveness now that if he puts on significant muscle weight, he may be as earthbound as Chuck Hayes and I suspect his lateral movement would be compromised as well. While he needs to get stronger, I think he will probably need to stay fairly lean.

Arnel and OremLK like this.