1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Jr. is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Jul 7, 2023.

1. 34to11

34to11 Member

Literally none of that happened, lol.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

3. 34to11

34to11 Member

Looking for the quote where Silas says, "Just do whatever cause it won't matter since kpj is dictating the offense."

4. Melik

Melik Member

Jabari will continue to improve. He needs to strengthen his physique and add muscle mass.

34to11 and RudyTBag like this.
  5. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Yeah screw yoga

6. Melik

Melik Member

Also, when Jabari develops mentally, it will be clear how good our 3rd pick was.

7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U are quite the literal person aren't ya.

No plays design for Smith is basically telling him to do whatever. The Silas offense was kpj dictating the offense as the head honcho. Can't help stupid people who refuses to acknowledge the reality of what went down under the silas era

cml750, harold bingo and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. 34to11

34to11 Member

You said "literally" repeatedly so I literally asked a literal question.
    I thought that was literally obvious in my first response...but I guess not.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The moral of this story is that you literally should not have asked a literal question when people literally did not expect a literal understanding of what Silas literally said. ;)

Invisible Fan and 34to11 like this.
  10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If what i said never happened what is your narrative of what went down on how silas treated Jabari

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Franchise role player?

AroundTheWorld, Sengun, Bo6 and 2 others like this.
  12. cml750

cml750 Member

Hopefully he can develop into an actual 3 and D guy. He has a long ways to go.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

he was never going to be a star. his game is too rigid for that. To me, b e could be a high level 3rd option in the MPJ / Middleton / Bosh tier of players. you could make a ray allen / klay thompson argument but that might be pushing it.

man needs to keep working on his shooting mechanics though. every time he shoots an open 3 i want to be confident that it's going in but we aren't there yet.

#873 Bo6, Nov 15, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
  14. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

We're a little down on him due to the hype of him being the presumed #1 pick BUT he's 20 year old, a legit 6'10" and he's got .48/.36 shooting splits. He's still super young and physically underdeveloped relative to his position. It's fair to assume that he'll continue to improve in a meaningful way.

I'm ok with what he's bringing to us so far.

One thing I would like to see is more involvement in the offense, especially when he's on the court without Alpy. Hopefully he can develop some pick and pop chemistry with Amen and Jalen, specifically. Their speed should make switching with a big untenable, leading to great looks above the break for Bari. That could be a good way to keep our offense moving when we get frantic with the second unit.

Easy, AroundTheWorld and vince like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im pretty sure Silas said "MAKE your wide open 3's" :D:D:D

34to11 likes this.
  16. vince

vince Member

Jabari can’t create his own shot like other superstars. But that was already known on draft day.

What Jabari can do is play defense and repeat his shot. The ideal 3-pointer and Defensive player.

I tend to agree that Jabari needs to bulk up, and keep getting confidence in his 3 point shot.

If he develops into what we envisioned, he is the perfect complimentary player for Alpi and Green.

Mathloom likes this.
  17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Evidence to date says this is not true, at least to a high quality level. We'll see.

AroundTheWorld and vince like this.
  18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Jabari will be efficient on low volume early in the season. He'll find his role after the 4 more senior starters solidify theirs.

He's not the offensive player he thinks he is right now and I hope it doesn't take long for him to accept that this season he's the 5th best iso option in the starting lineup. He will have to make his money on defense and what's left over on offense.

He's doing good on 3's, but he needs another ten games to create new defensive habits. We don't need much else from him. Someone has to talk to him about taking open shots more seriously. Stop getting down on yourself for missing shots we don't need you to take.

I'm sure he will be perfectly fine. Normal growing pains. He's still younger than Amen I believe.

vince likes this.
  19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Member

I never thought Jabari had superstar potential, some of the KD comparisons here had me scratching my head. But I think he's certainly capable of being a potent scorer. He's not just a spot up shooter, he can hit some really tough shots all over the floor even without advanced handles, kind of like Porzingis. Porzingis is spectacular as a third option and I think that's Jabari's ideal role as well.

I'm actually more worried about his defense than his offense. He's skinny and barely out of his teens, so he'll naturally get stronger with time. But players are not afraid to challenge him at the rim despite his length, nor has he shown a strong ability to keep up with guards on the perimeter. Someone like Evan Mobley was able to do both from the very start of his career despite also being thin and inexperienced. While it's unfair to compare Jabari to someone with DPOY potential in a good system, I can compare him with his teammates this year. I'd rank Jabari towards the bottom of defensive contributions on the team, even less than Jalen and Al P. I'd really like to see him lock in on that end of the floor.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. gifford1967

gifford1967 Member
    Supporting Member

Christ, this was an impressive answer.