1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

J.J. Watt is Pro Football Focus's Player of The Year.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Svpernaut, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...-stepheson-award-the-best-player-in-football/

Finished over Von Miller, Geno Atkins and AP. His numbers are simply off the charts.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Hope the Texans manage to keep both Watt and Cush. They're going to really cash in when the time comes.

3. Svpernaut

I think they'll both take fair offers to stay here. The key will be to sign Watt to a long term deal this off season, before his rookie contract expires... just like we did with Foster. Cushing's contract expires after next season too, hopefully we can get his deal done early... and the injury may make him more prone to deal quickly.

Barwin is a free agent, and one good thing about his lackluster year is it should make negotiating easier.

4. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

The Texans can't sign Watt this offseason. A player under his first contract must play at least three years before signing him to another deal. It's part of the CBA.

It's good for the Texans since they have him on the cheap for another year.

5. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

They have at least 2 seasons before they really have to worry. And during that time big time contracts should be coming off the books by then. Not much to worry about unless retaining Cushing is unwilling to give a partial discount to us because if Watt is going to get Mario Williams money we can't give Cushing anything more then half without dropping key players.

6. Svpernaut

Ahh, you're right. I brain-farted. I probably should have slept last night.

I truly don't think JJ Watt is going to demand Mario money, I think his love of the city is really genuine... and I think the same goes for Cushing to some extent, they dig what we have going here.

I think the key is resigning him the off season before his final contract year.

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

Another important note about PFF: they rated Andre Johnson's overall year better than Calvin Johnson.

8. Svpernaut

Because they base things like yardage by their importance... many of Megatron's yards came in trash time. Not trying to say that he isn't a tremendous player or his record deserves an asterisk, just that Dre's yards and touches meant more to a winning team.

9. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I know every team has that vocal leader on each side of the ball that the team rallies around, but I think there's a perfect storm brewing for Watt to be much more than that. Like how you'll hear non Baltimoreans say Ray Lewis is their favorite player in the league, I think JJ Watt has the same universal appeal, and now media exposure, to become a household name.

He's become the posterboy of what I assume the NFL wants. Hits clean, plays clean, endless energy, great backstory, superb representative of the city and the game, all-world level of dominance.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Can Watt get better?

11. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Well deserved.

12. BFF

BFF Member

And he doesn't murder anyone. That has to account for something.

13. jbasket

jbasket Member

Yea. He also got targeted A LOT, because quite frankly, he's really all they got that is consistent.