1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Izzo to become Cavs coach?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jun 10, 2010.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5271586

[rquoter]Tom Izzo is apparently closer to saying yes to the Cleveland Cavaliers than previously thought, a source told ESPN.com's Andy Katz on Thursday.

That source discussed Izzo's future with a close confidant of Izzo's who is coaching in the NBA. The source told Katz that Izzo, who talked to his team earlier this week about his interest in the Cavaliers, is leaning toward taking the job if it is offered.

"Three weeks ago that wasn't the case, but it has changed,'' the source said.

A person familiar with his travel plans told The Associated Press that the Michigan State coach arrived in Cleveland on Thursday afternoon.The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the Cavs are not commenting on their coaching search.

Izzo landed at County Airport in Richmond Heights, Ohio. His plane, which left East Lansing, Mich., was diverted there because of the number of TV cameras at Burke Lakefront Airport, the person said. Cavs owner Dan Gilbert did arrive at Burke, which is a short drive from Quicken Loans Arena, the Cavs' downtown home.

"Coach Izzo made me aware he is meeting with Cleveland," Michigan State athletic director Mark Hollis said in a statement. "The details of any meetings are between him and me."

Izzo isn't the only coach interested in the Cavaliers job, which may or may not include the chance to coach free agent LeBron James. Wednesday night, an NBA Eastern Conference executive with knowledge of the Cavaliers' thinking told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard that Byron Scott is a strong candidate to be offered the job.

The executive told Broussard that Scott is on equal footing with Izzo.

Former Michigan State coach Jud Heathcote gave ESPN.com's Andy Katz his take on whether his successor, Tom Izzo, should take the Cleveland Cavaliers' job -- and LeBron James is a key part of that. Blog

Scott, a former Los Angeles Lakers guard who has coached the New Jersey Nets and the New Orleans Hornets, has spoken with members of the Cavaliers' front office the past few days. Late Wednesday night the talks took on a more serious nature, the source told Broussard.

Scott is expected to have a formal interview with the team before the end of this weekend.

Izzo, meanwhile, said recently he wouldn't leave Michigan State until the school won another national championship. But that feeling apparently has changed. He met with his players Tuesday, according to Spartans associate head coach Mark Montgomery, updating them on Izzo's interest in the Cavs job.

Izzo did not give any indication of whether he would take the job, but a source told Katz that Izzo told the team he has a lot of thinking to do.

A member of the Michigan State Board of Trustees said earlier this week that Izzo already has turned down an offer from the Chicago Bulls this offseason.

A source within the Bulls' organization denied that to ESPNChicago.com's Nick Friedell, though the source did say Izzo and the Bulls had talked[/rquoter]

2. k-money

k-money Member

i dont think izzo will i think bryon scott will and he should.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think this is a signal that LeBron may not be coming back.
    If you going to REBUILD . . .and maybe start with younger stars
    why not a college coach.

Rocket River

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If you are Tom Izzo, why make this move if LeBron doesn't come back? If LeBron leaves, the Cavs go back to the dumpster where they belong no matter how good a coach he is.

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

This.

No offense to Cleveland, but if LeBron doesn't come back, they will be at best a 7th seed in the East next season.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Probably should have posted this earlier:

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/06/tom_izzo_visits_with_cleveland.html

Byron Scott a good plan B or I guess good coach for Cleveland if Izzo doesn't take it?

7. jose

jose Member

Post I made earlier about this subject:
    He's definitely an upgrade over Mike Brown, and Mike Brown wasn't a bad coach, it's just he was bad at in game adjustments. Izzo is one of the best coaches in the entire country, college or NBA, he'll do good.

8. jose

jose Member

Sorry for the double post(edit option would be quite nice here), but it didn't copy the text I previously quoted:

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I disagree with your take. Being good in college with an inferior roster does not translate into the NBA in my mind. The coaches that get their players to work do it out by well... outworking their opponent. Getting the kids on the same page. You cant apply that mentality to an 82 game season managing millionaire family men. You take that small potatoes mentality and run Lebron into the ground you wont last.

10. BetterThanEver

Phil Jackson and Popovich get their team to outwork the opponent. It seems to work for them.

11. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I don't think he'll succeed in the NBA.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

Me neither. If only he was taking the coaching reins of, say, LA / Boston, or a CLE with LJ.

13. meh

meh Member

It depends on how Izzo coaches. If he's winning because he's teaching young players how to play correctly, has a better offensive/defensive system that suits his players... then that does translate to the NBA. Especially these days when kids are jumping pro after just 1-2 years, and really could use the education. If Izzo's winning because he gets his players to exert 110%, then you may be right, and that NBA players may not care of his stuff.

Regardless, at least Izzo doesn't have the typical college-to-pro jumps where the coach can't handle the fact that he doesn't have the vastly superior talent most of the time. But he does need to learn how to massage egos.

14. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Member

current rumor is that Izzo is the guy and might announce today at a press conference.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Supposedly Izzo will announce his decision Saturday. I think he's gone from MSU.

16. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Thought Izzo was Jay-Z for a second there.

17. professorjay

professorjay Member

Supposedly Izzo is in a players meeting right now (6:45 pm). Many suspect he's telling the players first what his decision is.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Hiring an overrated college coach to coach the biggest ego in the game = disaster that ends in two years or less.

19. BMoney

BMoney Member

How is he overrated? He coached the Spartans to six final four appearances. Who was better in the last 10 years? I think he will stay where he is, but Izzo would be a good hire for Cleveland.

20. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Member

he's staying...