1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Post Deadline...McGrady's in Houston..Now What?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CaptainRox, Jan 5, 2010.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I really hope you are not being serious...

Source

As much as TOF's try to spin this, it is pretty obvious he is displeased with his lack of minutes and is asking for more. How am I blowing his comments out of proportion?

First RA says T-Mac has not completed a full practice. When T-Mac finally started participating in what RA considered full practices, here is the closet RA has come to complimenting T-Mac:

Basically, while his health is good enough where he can play, he is hardly ready to play in a game. Afterwards, when T-Mac played what turned out to be his last forseeable Rockets game, here are some pretty damning quotes from RA:

Source
    Again, this is in direct contradiction to your claim that he did not demand additional playing time. He apparently pushed it to the point where Adelman said that enough was enough.

Once again, this is in direct contradiction with your post. T-Mac was pushing his diva act once again. Instead of biting back his pride and playing within the team system, he was pushing for a half court offense where he is a focal point and, unfortunately, ball stopper. The only thing is, he is not the player he use to be and until he gets there, he not only did not deserve more time, but certainly had no right to argue how the offense is played.

Now I will ask you once again, how am I blowing his comments out proportion? He agreed to play for 7-8 minutes a game, decided himself that he should get more, and when RA and DM said no, asked for a trade. One can argue that he is only looking out for himself and that is a sentiment that I can completely agree on. The NBA is a business and all players are ultimately looking out for themselves, especially during contract year. However, if he really loved Houston like he says and wants to do everything to help Houston win, he should have had no difficulty biding his time and playing within the system. If he does reach his old level eventually, then he will get an increased role.

After everything was said and done, T-Mac once again exposed that he is what his critics have been constantly calling him; diva, mentally frail, quitter, and selfish. I will agree with anyone that says T-Mac was an amazing player, but don't kid yourself into thinking he was any more than that. He was never a winner, no matter which NBA team he played on and EVERY SINGLE TEAM he has played for, he left with bridges burning as brightly as the sun.

2. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

we wait for him to expire (not litterally), and go away

3. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Nah, I don't think that is it. Adelman said it best, McGrady can play and it doesn't take a genius to play this type of ball, but for McGrady to be effective, you have to have him be able to beat his man, which right now he can't. Honestly, McGrady can pass and get rebounds just as well as Battier or Ariza, it is just that right now, despite what he thinks, he can't beat most average defenders and defensively he is crap.

Given time, his step should return and his offense might be able to finally be enough to over look his defense.

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

No way, Tmac comes back and drops 82 and is therefore better than Kobe

and then we win championship and then we all happy

5. Chinesexiaohai

maybe he'll stay in Htown,i wish so

6. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Rockets made right decision regardless what decision McGrady makes.

7. _samoa_

_samoa_ Member

I would love to give him another chance but seriously don't think it's possible.
    He was in such a situation to play and earn his minutes back and he declined and moved on, then suddenly he figures out it is the right thing to do to play his minutes back? no way.
    Talking about Ariza, yes he's throwing a lot bricks and sometimes he lost control of himself like the elbow and suspension, yelling at Shane etc, he's really bad and I don't like him that much, but who cares? I'm a Rocket fan, and it doesn't mean I have to be one of Ariza's fans.

8. matthappy

matthappy Member

tracy can't even keep his mouth shut up,i don't think he can actually control himself both physically and mentally.whatever his slack on defensive end destroy the whole system of the team.his criticizm to almost all his teammates ruined the chemistry and be a unstable factor in lockerroom.all in all this guy is a toxicant for a basketball team.

9. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

What happened to all that gloating about T-Mac's trade value being so great as an expiring contract?

Yes, I'm still here. :grin:

10. anon3803

anon3803 Member

Agreed.

When T-Mac said he was ready, and Adelman was keeping him on the bench, I was getting frustrated that we weren't even trying him out. After seeing him play, I was satisfied, and IMHO, he was doing fine in the minutes he got. I would've been happy if we kept him to 8-15 minutes per game and got that productivity from him.

However, T-Mac has made it clear that those minutes are unacceptable to him, and he's tried to circumvent the coaches by complaining about it publicly. I have no problems with the organization isolating him. I just wish we could've gotten more for his contract.

11. t-mac_#3_SG

t-mac_#3_SG Member

I think we're about to see a trade any minute now...

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

There is no way to enforce that. Once he's bought out he can sign with whomever. The Rockets would get into a big mess with the Players Association and I doubt Stern would ever let that fly.

I doubt T-mac will accept a buyout less than his contract after March 1st. Why not let him go to a contender???? According to most people, he's not the same player and he doesn't play D and lacks explosiveness - why should we fear him on a contender?

13. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Member

well said ;)

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Tanking on purpose? like throwing games. . . probably not
    HOWEVER . .throwing up 20+ shots a night to show he can still be a 20+ point scorer. . . i think that would be realistic

Rocket River

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I do believe that....but I also believe that Morey won't just take a garbage deal.

There are deals out there now for him......I trust Morey to do what is right for the franchise....and that very well be letting him expire....doesn't mean teams don't want his contract, it means they were offering or could only offer stuff we don't want.

DD

16. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Member

Rockets crewed the pooch on this one, wont get crap for McGrady because they didn't let him play...

Hope he gets on a playoff team and wins a championship...

I am not a MOF, just really disappointed in the organization for totally destroying his value and therefore their return on investment...

Like the Broncos coach who got rid of Cutler and then benched Marshall in a crucial game, both stupid stupid moves and the reason a once rising franchise is sitting on the sidelines during the playoffs...

I see the Rockets following the same path, such a waste of Landy and Scolas talents...

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

How did we destroy his trade value and or return on investment exactly? Teams that are interested in T-Mac are NOT interested in T-Mac as a player but T-Mac the expiring contract. It is obvious from the few minutes that he did play, that T-Mac is no where near ready for serious game time. He has no explosion or elevation and save for one game, did not shoot well or finish well either. Let's repeat this one last time for all the clueless TOF out there, T-Mac has no value currently as a player and his value has always been that big fat $23 mil paycheck to help save cap space for teams next year. Teams are interested in T-Mac the EC right now, but Morey is not going to simply take trash for his contract.

18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

You know, despite this drama, whether or not McGrady is traded, I can kinda see him coming back to the team next year... Especially if he gets to play somewhere and he shows he is still productive.

I don't think the Rockets brass hates him as much as the fans do, and they may believe he's capable of contributing again, but I'm not sure. And I'm fairly sure McGrady would like to come back.

19. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Are you serious? McGrady looked a helluva lot better in those 30 minutes or whatever that he played for us than he did even most of last year. Did we watch the same games? Yeah, he couldn't finish, but he was getting good elevation on his jumper and he was getting to the basket well. He had a pretty good first step, even if he didn't exactly have 25-year-old-McGrady level explosion.

I mean I'm not saying he's bound for stardom once again, but he definitely showed some potential, especially considering that was his only PT in like a year.

20. wheelmi

wheelmi Member

Not sure I follow the S&T route here. If McGrady is as washed up as everyone says he is, why would he have any S&T value? Teams can simply sign him outright using the MLE or vet minimum, whatever his perceived value is. The only way I see any S&T possibilities is if we take on someones bad contract and get a pick, otherwise, why?

Also, if McGrady and the organization are at odds, and their relatinoship is as sour as many on this board think, why does McGrady do it? Why would he want to help an organization, which he may perceive, has black balled him and diminished his chance of getting his last big contract? Expecially if all he will get is vet min to mle money?