1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is this years team better than last years team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pat, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

After the slow start (presumably) due to no Ariza/Luc/Bzdelik, the Rockets are currently playing at a high level.
    Those three have been replaced primarily by Rivers, Faried and Bzdelik. Is this group of Rockets as they stand now, in your opinion better, worse or equal to last years team? Reworded, can they unseat the Warriors?

Clearly the 2018/19 team had more wins and home court advantage. Last years Warriors second place finish was partly due to injuries. This year they seem a little less interested and may have more internal strife.

CP3 and Capela have put injuries behind them and Gordon has found his touch. Roll players are contributing and this team looks strong. Rebounding seems an issue, and I'm not sure we have the personnel for switch on everything. Shumpert has been brought in to allow for that defense, but injuries and unfamiliarity may turn him into last years Mbah a Moute.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

no, defensively last year's team was absolutely amazing.

This year's team has started to play better defense but is still more inconsistent. Last year's team had a grit and edge about them. CP3 was also playing better

3. dmoneybangbang

At this point, no. Obviously health is a big factor but last years team knew how to play together better. Ariza was just an awesome role player who knew his role. I agree with not matching Ariza, but the lack of super glue guy is missed. I suppose that’s Tucker now, but Ariza played with Harden longer.

I think we can play the same level of defense when healthy but obviously not consistently through the regular season.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

No. The level of play of last years team was impeccable defensively and offensively. Even CP said on JJ Redicks podcast that last years team was the top or one of the top teams hes ever been apart of due to team chemistry on the court and off. It was special.

ramotadab, pippsux and BasketMAD like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

I wouldn’t say so. Last years team was a cp3 injury away from a title. This year has a chance to get another chance though. But I’ll say this team is definitely deeper as far as actual rotational players when the playoffs actually start. So in that regard that part is better

ramotadab, Stephen_A and rocks123 like this.
  6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Yep

Q step brothers GIF

7. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Yes, I think so. I have said this many times before but I don’t think Morey values defense the same way causal fans do.(There are some quotes from him to back this up) That is to say the marginal point created on offense is easier than the marginal point prevented on defense.

8. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

We have more playable players when it comes to playoffs this year but our D is not as good as last year. Health is everything to this team, especially CP3's health. I like our chances if we can stay healthy in the playoffs.

ramotadab, B-Bob, Plowman and 2 others like this.
  9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Last 40 games we are 29-11.

Games 26 through 65 last year, we were 30-10.

That’s somewhat encouraging.

10. Garner

Garner Member

Fun stat

bro2044 likes this.
  11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

We’ll see in the playoffs.

I didn’t think the Alaric’s and Luc exits were as big of a deal and tbh I still don’t. They are replacement level players...the only issue is we hadn’t found anyone that was capable of replacing them.

I think Austin, Faried and Shumpert more than make up for their loss from an overall talent perspective. I think those three in > those two out.

Factor in house potentially coming back and it’s really not even close.

I think overall this team has the ‘potential’ to be better.

12. chinese

chinese Member

Yes harden is better cp3 fits better Capela is better
    Better PF in manimal , Austin rivers has guts.
    Only minus is losing Ariza
    Definately better.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Possibly, but it's because of Harden.

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

harden 2019 >>>>> harden 2018
    solid cp3 backup/insurance >>>>> no cp3 backup/insurance

ramotadab and Hakeemtheking like this.
  15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Statistically not close. And I think if neither team had to deal with injury, last years is still better.

Playoff results wise I think it just might be possible with the in season additions.

ramotadab likes this.
  16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Cleverly disguised House is better than Luc and Ariza thread.

17. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

On paper, yes. We were only 7/8 players deep last year. We're 9/10 this year, and I'm not counting House or Nene (didn't count him for last year either). But, I also don't think the Warriors aren't as good as last year, so we have a serious chance.

ramotadab and Y2JT like this.
  18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I think last year's team was the better performing team. But this year's team seems equally capable in the playoffs.

I've posted this before, but:

Harden 19 > Harden 18
    Capela 19 = Capela 18
    Paul 19 <= Paul 18
    Tucker 19 = Tucker 18
    Gordon 19 <= Gordon 18
    Green 19 = Green 18
    Austin Rivers << Trevor Ariza
    Nene 19 = Nene 18
    Kenneth Faried >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ryan Anderson
    Iman Shumpert >= injured Luc Mbah A Moute (playoffs)
    Gary Clark >> Joe Johnson
    Terrence Jones/Danuel House/Luxury Tax Savings >> Aaron Jackson/Tarik Black

Honestly it's pretty close. Harden seems slightly better and Gordon/Paul slightly worse, but that can change game to game.

2018 team was better at wing defense, switching, and defensive rebounding (due to Ariza).
    2019 team is better at ball handling, role player versatility, and offensive variety (due to Rivers/Faried).

Again, 2018 team was better but 2019 team is not incapable of gelling.

#18 napalm06, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  19. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Without a doubt yes...for the simple fact Austin rivers....this was huge to me. We got a bonafide guy that could back up n start for cp3 in a playoff game n still be fine. That's huge. N Faried...again a bonafide guy that could start n get u a win in the playoffs if cap goes down again. Those are so huge. Last if either Clint or cp3 was out u was fuked

20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Are we talking about March 2019 v October 2018? Then of course... if we are talking about March 2019 v March 2018... nope.

weopeo9744 likes this.