1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this tacky?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Jan 12, 2007.

Tags:
  1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

ok here's the deal...my wife's friend's husband wants to give away a dog that he had for 2 years. He initially said he just wanted to give it to someone who would take care of it. We asked another friend of ours who said that he was interested in getting a dog just like the one the married couple was giving away. We report back to them and tell them that we have someone who's interested, and suddenyl they're like, "no wait, we want $500 for it". I was so ticked off, I told my wife I'm not even gonna tell that to my friend.

Now here's my question. Did I overreact? The dog will have a good home with my friend and $500 is about 3 times less than what he'd pay in the store for the dog. But I just felt it was incredibly tacky for them to suddenly put a price tag on a dog when days before they were thinking of giving it to the shelter. Just to clarify, I have a puppy that my wife and I are crazy about so maybe I'm biased.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What breed is it that costs $1,500?

Anyway, it is tacky, but if it is true that $500 is much less than the market price for the dog, your friend might still be happy to get a dog at a bargain, so you should pass along the offer (assuming it won't get upped again). But, be sure to badmouth the guy as you do it.

3. Buck Turgidson

I'm guessing he meant "3 times more".

And yeah, they should have been upfront that they wanted money.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I think it's tacky. It's not cool that he wants to money for the dog now that someone actually wants it. If he want to get paid, he should have said it right off the back, instead of saying they would even give it to a shelter (which is usually last resort).

The dog would have a good home and while it is less than what the guy paid for it, the new owner would be paying $500 for a fully grown dog.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Did you overreact? No. I would call your reaction reserved. You've been put in an embarrassing situation by your "friends," who have suddeny developed a belated eagerness to get some bucks out of ditching a dog. In my opinion, anyway.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I just read it again and I think he actually DID mean 3 times less.

And I agree with everyone else here. That was pretty tacky to put you in the middle of a situation like that.

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

The other day, my wife and I walked into a pet store in NYC on a whim. The store wanted $2,500 for a cavalier king charles puppy. I was like "Whaaaa?" The sad thing is, we stopped by the next day (because we were in the neighborhood), and the dog had been sold. That's just crazy.

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

There are a couple up here in Arkansas that I've seen go for that price including English bulldogs and teacup Yorkies.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

At least the guy isn't just dumping the dog, which way too many people do. And, suddenly asking for money is pretty tacky.

But, then again, I think paying for any pet when there are thousands of homeless animals in shelters seems pretty tacky to me.

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Agreed, we always adopt from a shelter.

And yes, the owners are being tacky to say the least. If they cared about the dog they should be happy to find nice owners to adopt it.

11. kikimama

kikimama Member

yes, cut ties with him.

12. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I've got one.

I tell some friends of mine that I'm going to adopt a few young cats from the SPCA. One of those 2 for 1 deals, which includes the shots and spay.

So one of my friends asks me if I want to adopt her 6 year old cat, because her boyfriend has issues with the cat. I felt uncomfortable, because this girl has major issues. I think she should keep the cat, if she is that close to it, but oh well.

I don't like it when you tell friends that you will be taking in a few pets and then they think of you as a shelter to dump their pets. Plus, I don't want this girl dropping by the house all the time visiting her cat.

I just looked at her and said, "That's too bad, but I want young cats".

Now don't you old cats feel discriminated?

13. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Yeah. I always try to adopt. I got my dog from a woman who was going to drop it off at the shelter because she could no longer handle him. Great little guy. The cat my gf got she just picked up off the street. I am thinking about getting another playmate for my dog and the Northeast Arkansas Humane Society and AFA (Arkansans for Animals) always have open adoptions on Saturdays at PetCo. My next one will come from there.

14. Fatty FatBastard

My English Bulldog was stolen a few years ago. I didn't even realize that they were re-sellable.

The other odd part was that my sister felt bad for me, so she adopted another one from the pound for me, but I was in the process of my awful divorce, and didn't think I should be taking care of anything. By the time I was ready, her husband had fallen in love with it, so I was out of luck.

The even odder part was when my sister was going through her divorce, her husband didn't think he could take care of it, so he called me and asked if I still wanted the dog. I said of course, and he said he'd bring her over.

Two months later... Still no dog.

But if anyone has one they want to part with (only bulldogs) let me know.

15. astrorockette

astrorockette Member

That is awfully tacky and just shameful. I'd never try to sell my dog, and I'd be hard pressed to give one away.

16. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Thanks for the response guys. I've decided to pass on the sale price to my friend. If anything, I think it'll make him want to get the dog even more since he realizes just what kind of a owner the friend's husband is.

BTW, for those of you who don't know, purebreed (and some mix breeds) dogs typically go for at least $1000 in NYC. If it's a toy group dog, it can go up o $2,500 sometimes. I got mine from a friend whose dog had a litter 9 months ago.

Maybe I'll post pics later on =P