1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is there a way to factory reset an ipad without using itunes?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by likestohypeguy, Sep 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. likestohypeguy

I don't care if I lose everything, I just want to get back to i0s 7. Is there a way to start fresh as it came out of the box?

2. Sajan

Sajan Member

U updated to iOS8?

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

iTunes recovery is only if you've backed up. BACK IT UP FIRST, then:

Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings. :cool:

4. likestohypeguy

Yes, and I don't prefer it. Will the reset option "erase all content and settings" be a complete factory restore, or has i0s7 been deleted completely and the only way is downloading and transferring it using itunes from another computer?

5. likestohypeguy

Oh thanks. Will that get it back to ios7? Or will just delete everything but still have ios8?

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

if you already updated to iOS8..ur pretty much stuck with it.

7. likestohypeguy

Oh ok thanks, I was afraid of that.

So I've since read that when I do the "erase all content and settings" reset, it MUST be plugged into a computer with itunes to even be able to use it again correct? That after you do that reset it's locked in restore mode- think that would be a detrimental factor in selling it?

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

9. likestohypeguy

Yep it let me do the restore without itunes but like you said still stuck with ios8.

Oh well lesson learned, from now on research any prompt to update anything first, because apparently I'm not the only one. I've just never not been able to start over completely whenever I hated a change like this. At worst I could always get back to how they came out of the box.

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

What don't you like about iOS7?

I get how someone would hate iOS7...but not 8..since it's so similar to the previous version.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Out of curiosity, what is it about IOS 8 that makes you want to go back?

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Yeah, I want to know this.

Is it not black, but you want to go back? :confused:

jk... WHY?

13. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

14. likestohypeguy

^thanks, but I can't get past "the first trick" yet.

I hesitate because anything I nitpick can be dismissed by writ of 1st world problems, but okay since you tried to help & want to know- the new browser alone is enough of a dealbreaker to me. If there was a way to just get the old browser back, where everything doesn't require twice as many swipes to get to ( forward/back page buttons), then extra swipes to get rid of like favorites even after you click one, and if it weren't now significantly slower with the same connection for some reason. Or seems that way at least, not like i've been timing pages loading or anything before & after.

Anwyay I've been advised to try alternate streamlined "mini/light" browsers other than safari & see if they suffice, so I'll try those first before I dump it or get someone to downgrade it back to ios7 for me.

15. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I believe if you can find an iOS 7 rspw file you should be able to go back to 7. You would need iTunes for that though. On the device screen in iTunes hold option and click restore. This will let you choose the rspw file you update from. Then you choose your iOS 7 file and it should roll you back to 7. I have never used this to go back a version but I have used it to load a specific version.

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

why don't you create an informal survey and new thread about it?

#16 Mr. Brightside, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  17. cebu

cebu Member

just did it last night.

i had to reset it last because after i upgraded it to 8, it won't load my mp3s anymore. it's working fine now.

18. likestohypeguy

Hopefully i'll be able to soon too. I tried the two new suggested browsers, and didn't particularly like them that much, but at least you can defeat fullscreen with them. Surely there is a way to do that with the ios8 safari right? Where you don't have to swipe to see the address bar, page forward/back buttons, and extra swipes to get rid of bookmarks after selecting one?

19. bobrek

I was just curious and since he wanted to change I was wondering what reasons he had for wanting to do so. I haven't noticed anything that makes me want to revert on my iPad and iPod and my wife hasn't noticed anything detrimental on her iPhone. Just trying to hear other folks' reasons to see if it may be something that will eventually concern me.

20. bobrek

Are you talking about Safari? I don't see any difference with the usability of Safari on iOS 8 and IOS7.