1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Is the upcoming offseason the most "boom or bust" in Rockets history?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Mar 4, 2023.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Between a draft that supposedly has one and maybe two generational-level talents (depending on how you feel about Scoot), the possibility of Harden coming back, possibly a big coaching/staff change, a huge amount of cap space, and a lot of young prospects ready to take the next step forward with better leadership, there is a lot of potential for a major upward swing in the team's fortunes.

But there's also a lot of room for a big wet splat of an offseason if we have bad luck in the draft lottery, we understandably fail to attract any good free agents, and the hunt for a new HC goes poorly (or worse, they stick with Silas for some godforsaken reason).

What do you think will go right and what will go wrong this offseason?

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Just might be. We could go into next season with Wemby AND Harden (and maybe another vet via trade or something) or we could go into next season with the 5th pick, overpaying VanVleet and be just slightly better.

I guess we'll know soon enough with the draft lottery. If we get the #1 pick then Harden is just a nice sentimental bonus

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah, it feels like a boom or bust offseason ....

There's really no telling what happens at this point either .... the options are pretty limitless with the amount of cap space, the potential for #1 thru #5 and don't forget about the Clippers pick which could be tail end of the lottery or better if they move up.

I can't even make a guess as to what the roster looks like on opening day next season.

I do expect a huge shakeup .... they just can't stand pat with this bullshit.

saleem, glimmertwins, Rvo384 and 2 others like this.
  4. roxon

roxon Member

It’ll definitely play a big role for this teams future

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Not really. Boom or bust offseasons are championship-related ones for me. As much as it would suck, we could totally absorb a setback in the rebuilding phase.

I believe if we made no additions to this roster (not even picks) and coaching staff, and we went into next season with the owner, GM, HC, staff and players all understanding that wins matter most now.... I think we would win around 35 games. These kids are going to improve over the rest of this season, the offseason and training camp. They're going to be stronger, slightly improved their skills and they'll have more experience. They will be held accountable a LOT more than this season. It's just a different atmosphere. Like we're actively tanking, intentionally not playing people, intentionally not signing a competent PG, benching vets for extended periods, allowing players to make tons of mistakes on a very long leash. They're going to stop doing that and yes some of the players may not be able to kick their habits and we should ship those players out if we're sure they can't adapt.

That's why I'm really advocating for not jumping to spend our FA money. You can add 3 well-placed vets on good contracts to this team and .500 becomes a realistic goal. You add James Harden you may hit 45 wins but you're stuck with that rapidly growing contract with a rapidly declining production. If we want him to retire here, wait 1 or 2 years, someone will pay us picks to take him off their hands (unless he wins a title of course, in which case he's not coming here).

I want only 2-way vets with solid character. By priority: a PG and a C. Someone who can demonstrate how to anchor a defense WELL + someone who can demonstrate how to run an offense WELL > without being a liability on the opposite side of the court. That's it. Maybe we can do deals like KCP/Lakers a few years back where we give someone a big contract but for only 2 years and with a team option in order to preserve our capspace for a trade target or FA the following summer. If we hand out a contract that becomes bad when the young players' extensions kick in, we will be in trouble with this cheap owner I'm telling you. He's not going to ever exceed the LT for a championship. He wants them to prove they are champions before they spend it, which is illogical, it's a classic cheapskate owner talking point ("I'd spend if it was worth it!").

I've said often if they're going to mess up the money, I hope they do it with Van Vleet instead. Smaller contract and at least he's a 2-way vet who started on a championship team. The kids could actually use that experience.

We have to get good at basketball internally with reasonable FA additions so that better players will accept our FA offers.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don’t think harden is the answer here

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Boom or Death.
    Combustible Stone.

[​IMG]

#7 daywalker02, Mar 4, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Killing time actually.

fattz and pippendagimp like this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

who is though? fa class sucks

10. fattz

fattz Member

The real question is Stone the right person to control our team’s future? Can Patrick stay out of the way? Does Tilman override the judgments of others and just do it his way and tell everyone to shut up? This is my watch list for the off season.

saleem and albuster like this.
  11. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

Who would ya like to keep on the roster once the shakeup begins?

12. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

As arguably one of the biggest Harden Stan's ever, I think a 34 year old version of him on a rebuilding team isn't exactly ideal.

13. JW86

JW86 Member

It could definitely either give our team an identity and immediate talk of play-offs and 2-3 road to the Finals or maybe getting in the 7-10 range seeding wise and 3-5 years after in play-off contention. It's not all the off-season, but we will see hopefully a totally different team.

14. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The only bad news with Harden is that you'll see a resurgence of the "we need to take more midrange jumpers" crowd.

15. PatBev

PatBev Member

I think if you spend 40 million on a SOLID backup point and shooting guard would have us win 15 more games

I feel like we’ve played playoff teams every damn night and we kept them close in the start of the season

We have so many guards but yet our backups are Nix, Christopher, Mathew’s, Tyty, and now we have Tate as a guard who I thought was a PF/SF

Overpay on short term contracts for solid vets who can hit the 3 at a decent clip and watch what happens

albuster likes this.
  16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Hopefully he doesn’t try to bring all his buddies here

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah it's up there. We've already become the punchline of the league and I suspect if we don't turn it around ASAP that even our young and not so impressive guys will want out.

If we roll out this team and coaching staff next year, we will go 0-83. That's right. 83.

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we're gonna turn the loss column up to 11

20. PWR

PWR Member

If you don't bring in a veteran coach with a strong personality that knows what the hell he's doing and 5-6 bonafide shooters, then I expect more of the same b.s.

I said we wouldn't win 24 games before this season started because of those same issues, and we won't win 24 games next year unless you address those 2 things.

By the way, it wouldn't shock me if they tried to pay $150+ mil to a guy that quit on this team (Harden). Hell, they gave $85 mil to the guy that drove off at halftime (KPJ). Nice culture we're building. Way to set the tone!

albuster likes this.