1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the team laying down for JVG?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRaven, Dec 17, 2003.

Tags:
  1. TheRaven

TheRaven Contributing Member

Face it: it wouldn't be the first time it's happened. Maybe enough key parts have decided the hell with it and are playing how they want, knowing that the whole team won't be traded. And even if they are one of the ones traded, they won't have to listed to JVG anymore.
    I'm not saying anyone will pull the trigger on JVG this season, but there'll be plenty of "he was no better than Rudy" sentiments to go around.
    As for CD, he should have stayed on the bench. Or be selling insurance.

2. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

This signature is from JVG's Knicks days. History may be repeating itself. It wouldn't surprise me if SF, Cat and the others got a few phone calls about JVG and what he really is like before he arrived....

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Rice....this is Jeff. (pause) Van Gundy. (pause) Don't act like you don't know who this is. Look, I'll send you the $50. I just forgot. And I did not do your wife! I mean, look at me! Should you even worry?

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

By the looks of things I would have to say yes. But it doesn't suprise one bit, because during the off-season some of the players on the Rockets made it very clear that they wanted Larry Brown as their first choice. Oh well, basketball goes on in Houston.

5. TheRaven

News flash: CD dropped the ball on the Larry Brown deal, too.

6. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Hey JVG, take my (ex) wife(s) - please!

;) :p

7. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

"Laying down" would mean giving up or giving in... physically. From what I've seen the Rockets give it their all physically. They dive to save the ball from going out of bounds, they hustle on defense (they wouldnt be first in fg % defensively if they didnt), they all rebound fairly well. It's not a lack of effort, it's a lack of knowledge.

The Rockets arent mentally prepared for a lot of the situations they are in. From inbounding the ball or bringing it up against the press, they play like a JV team.... mentally. The Rockets arent losing because of a lack of heart, they are losing because of lack of mind.

Well, Yao could be a hell of a lot more physical, but I think thats due to his fear of getting fouls, not desire. Someone needs to tell him that it would be better for him to play all out and foul out at half time then play like he's carrying eggs in his jersey and doesnt want to crack them. When Fred Hoiberg is beating you for rebounds, you have a problem.

8. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Who's responsibility is it to make sure they are prepared mentally. Or are they giving their all on an individual basis?

9. TheRaven

I agree completely. Maybe I misstated it. For whatever reason, intentionally or subconciously, they have completely gotten away from what they were doing a month ago.

10. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

News flash: Larry Brown preferred the Pistons job.

He referred to it as the "timetable" was better. Larry Brown is an old man (not calling him innefective), who does not have a lot of time nor energy to take an out-of-the-playoffs-for-years team to the conference finals. Pistons are already there.

In my opinion there is nothing CD could have offered Larry Brown. Brown already has money, respect, and a playoff spot. The only thing he wants is a chance at a championship. At our most optimistic, the Rockets are at least three years away, maybe infinity. I don't think anybody here realistically expects to win a championship in less than three years.

PS if you do expect to see the Rox hoisting the Larry O'Brien trophy in less time, 1) you are my hero, and 2) Eddie Griffin is looking for a playmate.

11. rvpals

rvpals Member

This sounds just like what Jim Fassel said after yet another giants' loss. I remember some radio guy said about Jim Fassel said "I don't know what happened, I'm at a loss of words.", if after a tough loss, as a coach, if you got nothing to say, you lose the ability to lead. If you don't know what to do, what good is a coach? If you can't lead, no players are going to follow you. Ever since that giants' loss, things getting uglier and uglier for the giants, downward spiral all the way to the end, and the giants haven't win a game since, and look like everyone is using them for doormat.

12. Cesar^Geronimo

None of the current Rocket players (except maybe Yao) would have anything to gain by laying down for JVG. They are known as a team of underachievers and proving that again is only going to cause the team to be disbanded (enough is enough) and their market value to be diminished.

The only reason I say not Yao is that he is still a very marketable commodity. Even if he is never better then a 16 pt 10 rebound (current averages) guy he still brings alot to a team as far as marketing etc......