1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the NBA the only pro sports league in america where the players have more power than the owners

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenVolumeOne, Nov 16, 2020.

1. HardenVolumeOne

Im just sitting here thinking too myself while all of this Harden nonsense is going on all over social media, how can the players dictate to the guys that are paying your salary where they want to go in trades. With Kawhi and recently A.D. forcing their way out from their teams it makes very little sense to even tank in a sport like the NBA. What happened with the Astros and how we tanked in the MLB would'nt be possible in the NBA. For one the NBA Draft Lottery doesnt reward the team with the worst record, and two if that said player does somehow become a star whose to say they wont force their way out from that team. I would HATE to be an NBA Owner right now, you litterally couldnt pay me to be one

People are lauding Sam Presti right now, and im like WHY, we are seeing player empowerment all over the NBA, nobody wants to live in a city like Oklahoma. So even if the thunder drafted a star player, their agent would steer them away from OKC simply because its hard to be marketable in Oklahoma.

So the big question is, while NBA TV Ratings continue to plummet and hit record lows, how can the NBA fix this problem. Because right now other than ESPN and FS1 forcing NBA content on us, i dont see the NBA as being as popular as it was just 4 or 5 years ago. I know plenty of people who would make time out to go to rockets games and with the recent news about Harden, they are done completely with the sport. Like in 2018 we had a great team and then the refs still screwed us over. So a bunch of factors have to go in to winning a championship in the modern NBA. You have to have a popular player on your team( Harden is hated), and you have to be on the good side of the refs( which we are not). Because i dont care what anyone says when you have two equal teams battling for a trip to the finals the ref aspect is huge as we saw in 2018 in both game 6 and game 7 of that year. I believe every game of that 2018 playoff run where scott foster was the ref in the game( WE LOST).

Adam Silver is worried about tv ratings, when he should be worried about the the drastic decline in ticket sales thats about to happen or which has been happening to NBA teams for the past 2 years. NBA Teams like the hawks and kings are bleeding money. Trae Young is probably the next star thats gonna up and leave for a bigger market. I dont know if its because their are way too many teams. But this is a problem

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

owners and front offices have been trading players away whenever they feel like it for years often times not even informing the player as they find out via social media...now players have decided to flex their power and it’s a problem...

superstars realized that they can take control of their own careers...the only reason this franchise has even been relevant this decade is because of Harden and we all know it, so yeah, a superstar like him has tremendous power and will want to use it

3. HardenVolumeOne

Also i forgot to add, i feel like someone is in Hardens ear giving him REALLY BAD advice. He has it made in Houston, he can demand and get anything he wants, whose to say that the next team he goes too will cave into his demands. Harden should want to retire a Houston Rocket, The rockets are not loved around the league. We just saw a 36 year old CP3 get moved for a nice package and somehow the younger 3rd team-all nba Westbrook is not worth a first round pick. Something isnt adding up here

4. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Rather the actual talent have the power than some cheap **** who buys a contender and proceeds to turn it into a **** hole within 3 years

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Pretty much.

The Euroleague is so balanced because almost everyone is in the same league talent wise .

Fertitta is sitting on too much power as well.

HardenVolumeOne likes this.
  6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Eh, only a small percentage of players fall into the "have most power" category.

7. HardenVolumeOne

But that small percentage of players are the ONLY players in which the league talks about and markets lol. The NBA is way behind other sports in that aspect. It would be like if MLB only hyped the new york yankees all the time instead of teams like tb rays and oakalnd a's. Does anybody think the equivalent of the tb rays in baseball making the NBA finals is possible in the current NBA lol. Their is no parity in the NBA at all, and with the only star players who the league does market jumping ship( potenially Giannis is next) it makes it hard for fans to keep up with the NBA. Their are still some casual fans that have no idea Kevin Durant is on the Nets lol.

8. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

So explain to me why you think Harden should want to retire on a team/franchise that no one likes around the league and is being conspired against regularly?

Lol.

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Guaranteed contracts and players that have been running on hard surfaces, jumping and leaping since teenagers
    makes for it hard to prove they don’t need arthroscopic surgery to clean out some form of debris.

Kawhi said he had discomfort and the Spurs trainers handled his case poorly. How do you prove him wrong.....void
    paying the money? How would you like paying an entertainer $30 to $45 million even though they don’t or didn’t
    entertain.

Guaranteed contracts sets up that situation. IMO.

Ramo$e likes this.
  10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

LeBron James, Chris Paul need to Leave the League. Those are the two that made the League overpay for really old Superstars pay Super Max Salaries.

Russell Westbrook and James Harden are on Super Max Contracts which is killing the team.

Keep James Harden and Russell Westbrook regardless of this trade noise they are purposely trying through media.

It is quite Childish and Spoiled not giving The New Coach, GM a chance.

Daryl Morey failed not getting 2 legit All Stars in their Prime to pair with Harden.
    His failed Draft attempts.

Mike Dantoni is one dimensional, short 7 man rotation, no defense or in game adjustments.

11. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Rules allowing superteams killed the NBA.

These days, college basketball is a waaaaaaay better product than the NBA.

Why not? and HardenVolumeOne like this.
  12. HardenVolumeOne

Because there is NO guarentee that harden will be recieved or reffed any differently in the playoffs on a different team. The same media that called harden a choker are celebrating him potentially getting traded. We saw scott foster interfere with cp3 in game 7 this last playoffs. If Scott Foster is still gonna be reffing hardens biggest games, we might as well keep him. Nothing will change if Harden is traded, the nba still wont let him win a ring and durant is still pretty much a cripple. Like i said someone close to Harden is giving him bad advice

Ramo$e likes this.
  13. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

After his contract is up. You don't sign contracts you can't honor. They can flex but they are still at the mercy of the owner still. Tilman seems like the type to not care and will do what best for him once he feels he has been had. They can flex but it doesn't mean much, but hot air like when Perkins talks.

14. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Some people don't care about peer pressure.

15. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

cleveland cavs are small market like the rays.