1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the lottery fixed? What spot will the Rockets land this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 2, 2022.

?

Is the lottery fixed?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I, like many of you, came to the conclusion eons ago, that...yes, the lottery is fixed. And, since Adam Silver sent us #2 last year (a bit of payback) when we could have lost it (combined with the young talent already onboard), we're not getting one or two this year. I'm guessing #3 or #4. Of course we can move up via trade, but I'm pretty sure that's how it's shaking out.

coachbadlee likes this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If we get #1 or #2, will you think the lottery isn't fixed? :D

3. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I've always thought it was fixed. Otherwise, why wouldn't the NBA want to market the actual drawing as a Megaball like event, everyone would tune into that.

4. TimDuncanDonaut

Lottery not fixed.

But refs in games definitely have biases, whether they recognize it or not.

5. TimDuncanDonaut

They should air it on TV. Would be better.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm no marketing guy, but I've thought about this, but couldn't figure out what that would add. I agree that the NBA is leechy enough to want to make money off anything, but the only thing they'd be able to do is show the drawing of a few numbers and then what? You'd go see if those numbers are one among a 100+ combos for your team? Doesn't sound exciting to me. But then maybe there's some exciting angle I'm not thinking about.

But yeah, the whole "behind the scenes" drawing is kind of fishy even if it's being audited. lol.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would assume the show would mostly be videos of prospects mocked to go in the lottery along with a half hour on whatever East Coast team wins a top 4 pick despite long odds.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Plow, mebbe. Of course Commisar Stern has passed on to his reward, so is Silver ‘Fool’s Gold’? I def do not know.

PS I can’t swear that a ‘drop’ to Ivey might not just be a big W.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

…and ‘viewed’ on-site by reps of all teams then denied egress until the marketed show gives its grand reveal.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I'd only be worried about it if we somehow don't land in the top 5.

RocketToVegas and Aruba77 like this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. Yeah, I guess. But man, I'm already burned out on the lottery this year, and I don't even know where we're picking. I've kind of tuned out on the hype and am just waiting to see where we land, then maybe my interest will be renewed. Some of that is just due to the fact we're guaranteed a top-5 pick (not like last year where we may not have had a top pick). There's really no "amazing" pick in the top-5 for me, so the lottery drawing is kind of luke-warm to me as-is.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  12. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

It’s not fixed, they will be somewhere between 1-5. Not everything in life is a shadowy conspiracy. ;)

13. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

If it isn’t shown live on camera or at least open to the media, I tend to believe it’s a work. The NBA just has every incentive to put their finger on the scale.

BHannes2BHonest and pippendagimp like this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There's the famous (or infamous!) 1985 draft lottery when each team's logo was still inside an envelope, with whichever team was drawn first getting the 1st pick. David Stern reached in and pulled out the envelope and guess what! The Knicks logo was inside and they were able to pick coveted Patrick Ewing of Georgetown. It was believed by some (including myself) that the Knicks envelope was refrigerated, making it easy for Stern to figure out which belonged to New York and New York's huge media market.

When there's talk of the lottery being fixed, that's the year when that talk became widespread and the league started changing how they conducted it. They don't help things by making the selection of the ping-pong balls private, however. Smells a bit fishy.

15. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Not rigged. Just Google it people.

September 2017: The NBA Board of Governors approved changes to the lottery system effective with the 2019 NBA Draft, reducing the odds so that the teams with the three worst records would share the same chance (14 percent) of receiving the No. 1 overall draft pick.

They are actually trying to curve tanking as much as possible.

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I doubt the lottery is rigged.

However I’m sure refs are dictated to officiate games in a way that will facilitate a desired outcome.

17. xaos

xaos Member

I don't really have any evidence to shows it's rigged so speculating really does me no good at a fan of the sport.

burlesk and Ekiu like this.
  18. TimDuncanDonaut

If it is rigged, let every team get a 'ship in a 30 year (30 teams) rotation. Rocket's last one is 1995. 2025, we're due baby.

[​IMG]

19. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

EY audits the draft, there's 0 chance they would risk their reputation by allowing the NBA to rig the draft. I suppose it's possible that the NBA is somehow rigging it without EY knowing but...highly unlikely.

It probably used to be rigged a long time ago, but not anymore.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member