1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Is the Fifth Ward the Barbeque Ward?"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pipe, Jun 19, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Pipe

Pipe Member

"Is the Fifth Ward the barbecue ward?"

http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/2002-06-13/cafe.html/1/index.html

After reading the Houston Press article, I am curious about the Houston wards. Can anyone direct me to a map of them (the closest I could find was a written description of the general boundries on the League of Women Voters website)? Is there any history describing why the Wards were located where they were (I assume it has to do with the political/ethnic/socioeconomic makeup of the populace)? Do the wards have any modern relevance? Why does the media keep referring to them, when nobody knows where they are?

Anybody eaten at Kozy Kitchen? That's all of the questions I could think of, for now ;) . Thanks.

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

I got this from the Houston chapter of the League of Women's Voters....

As it was originally organized in 1837, Houston had a mayor-alderman system, with aldermen representing different areas of the city. The shape of Houston's wards began to emerge about 1841, when the town was five years old. City directories up to 1897 listed five wards. The 1897-98 directory for the first time listed six:

The First Ward -- the area generally southwest of White Oak Bayou. The directory described it as "bounded by Main Street, White Oak Bayou, Congress Street and Line x commencing at termination of Congress at Buffalo Bayou, and running north 55 degrees west to northwest city limits."

The Second Ward -- generally east of Main and south of Buffalo Bayou. The directory described it as "bounded by Buffalo Bayou, Main, Congress Streets, city limits."

The Third Ward -- south and east of Main and Congress.

The Fourth Ward -- west of Main and south of Buffalo Bayou.

The Fifth Ward -- north and east of Buffalo and White Oak Bayous.

The Sixth Ward -- southwest of the First Ward, bounded by Buffalo Bayou and by the line marking the southwest boundary of the First Ward. The Sixth Ward was formed by splitting the old Fourth Ward much as one would cut a pie.

As for the fifth ward being the "barbecue ward", well, I've eaten at Kozy Korner. it's pretty good, but not the best in the city. A better barbecue place in that style (non-Good company/non "cowboy") is Green's, on Almeda Rd.

I can tell you that the Second Ward has the best Mexican food in Houston...that is where the original Ninfa's is on Navigation.

The Third Ward has the best blues music in the city. Miss Ann's Playpen, on Dowling, kicks serious butt, as does Mr. Gino's Lounge on Cullen. I've gigged at both of them, and the crowds have been very friendly and enthusiastic...as long as you know how to play the blues, that is!

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

Yikes...sorry didn't read all of your post, but you can take the descriptions and map em out. All of the wards are inside the loop.
    They have mostly historic meaning nowadays, to old time Houstonians who still remember them

4. Buck Turgidson

Never been to Kozy Korner, but now that C. Davis BBQ has closed (a d**n shame), Williams Smokehouse may be the best Q in Houston. Neither comes close to Cooper's in Llano or Kreutz Market in Lockhart (may just be that I prefer that style, who knows).

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Member

BBQ- Man, I ate at Harris County Smokehouse on 290 at 1960... that was some DAMN GOOD BBQ!! they had this incredible pulled pork, awesome ribs and some of the leanest brisket I've ever seen...free breads and rolls and good sides. If you are ever out on 290 near 1960, check em out! Good stuff...

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

Williams Smokehouse has the best bbq pork ribs in the city of Houston. It is well worth a trip out to Acres Homes. You can get a whole slab for $13. Damn, Buck, you're making me hungry!!!

Anyone else dig the Swinging Door down in Richmond/Rosenberg?

7. Pipe

Pipe Member

Hmmm .... note to self, never mention bbq in Texas if your interested in talking about something else fascinating like the history of the Houston wards.

Well, I won't fight it either. I am a Goode Co. regular (I thank my lucky stars I live in Texas every time I eat there), but next time I go hit balls over at Hermann Park, I will make sure to head up Almeda to Greens. After 20 years in Houston, I can hardly call myself a bbq fan not having been there. I also will make it a point to try out Williams Smokehouse.

Back to the Houston wards, I lost a bet with myself. I bet that rH would be the one to find the map. Maybe one doesn't exist.

8. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Member

9. Pipe

Pipe Member

rH, you da man. Just maybe I didn't lose that bet. :cool:

The map of the Second Ward and the history was cool. The Second Ward (now known as The Warehouse District) was originally known as Frost Town. The map actually shows the names of all the people who owned the various lots. The Schrimpf family was prolific. $25 for a 50 x 100 foot lot. No word on what flood insurance cost. :eek:

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

Green's is a five minute drive from the driving range at Hermann Park. If you go, get the links. I think they leave them on the grill for two days, because they are virtually falling out of the casing when they are served. They are awesome.

11. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

rockhead.. 1960 and 290.. thats less than 5 minutes from my home probably.. i'll have to check that out.. .. never been there ..

prices and everything reasonable?

12. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Member

i wouldn't say it's expensive... they offer burgers and other types of BBQ sandwiches, 1, 2, 3+ meat plates lots of sides to choose from. i think a typical meal will be about $8-$10... but damn well worth it!!!

Harris County Smokehouse (HCS) it's a yellow building right next to the La Quinta(?)... some hotel right off of 290 and 1960.