1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Rudy Giving Langhi a Chance?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Moe, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

I think before the season started, Rudy had planned on giving Langhi legitimate minutes this season. Then Langhi got hurt and Rudy made comments to the effect that since he was hurt, he basically lost his chance to play. I thought that was harsh, inappropriate to say to the media and actually uncharacteristic of Rudy. Even if it is true, coaches usually don't say things like that to the public. Rudy held true to this after Langhi came off DL by not playing him at all. Then OP posts that Rudy is only going to play guys that are in the future of the club and if Langhi and Collier don't like it , too bad. Again, at the time, it looked like he was right.

Then, however, we had more guys hurt, sick and out of town on personal business. For a couple of games, Rudy gave Collier and Langhi some quality minutes. Last night, Mooch, KT and Willis were all back in action. It was right at the end of the 1st half and I figured Langhi and Collier only played because of the decimated roster.

However, Rudy amazes me once again. With 4.9 seconds in the first half, Rudy puts Langhi in for defensive purposes. The Langhi haters on this board always rag about how he can't play defense, and Rudy sticks him in just for that last defensive play of the half.

Rudy put Langhi in again in the 4th quarter when the Rockets were taking control of the game. Of course, Langhi's shot was not falling, but I decided to watch his defense, since Rudy had put him in just for defense at the end of the first half.

Langhi played very good defense on Battier. I think his length really bothered Battier. Langhi's offense was not there last night, but he definately contributed on defense. When he came out of the game, I saw Rudy grab him and say "Good job".

Since he gave him seven minutes in the 4th quarter, it makes me think Rudy is going to give him a chance for meaningful minutes. Then again, I have never been able to figure out Rudy's rotations

#1 Moe, Feb 13, 2002
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2002
  2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Look for Langhi to play center, when we go to our midget lineup during crunch time.

3. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Moe, I saw the same things, have the same thoughts, hopes, and doubts about reading Rudy. He needs to get some minutes, especially now that we are not going to make the playoffs and SF is not getting any better.

4. red

red Contributing Member

i said it before and ill say it again...langhli is a god...

5. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Langhi needs time to play and improve his game.

But, he is 7 feet tall. He just needs to be more agressive.

6. knifejc

knifejc Member

I have to admit, after all the talk this summer about Langhi finally get his chance to play, and how some were saying how good his offensive game was. I was thinking this season we would have our own lil Nowitzki running around in pinstripes. But all that (like many of my rocket dreams) came crashing to a halt during the first half of the season when he didn't get no PT(partially due to injury). And sadly mine and many other on this board curiosities about Langhi won't be satisfied until he get consistant significant PT

7. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Our players KT, Mobley, Moochie, Steve only pass the ball to each other. It doesn't make a difference who you are Langhi won't get the ball passed to him even when he is in the game. It is a complete and utter waste of time.

8. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Actually, Langhi got 3 shots last night off the regular offense. Like everybody else, he was cold. Three shots in seven minutes is not too bad.

His problem, though, is very familiar. Rudy has him hang out at the three point line to receive kick-outs. I think it would be helpful if he got shots on the move. That way, he could still score even when his outside shot was not falling. Many people said he is to skinny to go inside, but it sure didn't stop Gasol, who is only slightly taller. I could be wrong, but we probably have plenty of jump shooters on the team.

9. Michael19P

Michael19P Member

I know that we all miss the Bull, but the solution is not Dan Langhi. He will never be the Bull so we might as well stop searching for his successor. We simply need to resign Matt in order to rekindle the fire and leadership that was lost with his departure. Although it is unfair to judge Rice based on 20 games, it seems unlikely that Matt couldn't fill his shoes. I know that Bullard may be a defensive liability, and that is one area that Langhi might help. However, he needs to start shooting like the Bull to convince me that he can play an important role on the rockets team (maybe he needs more PT to do this?) and is worth keeping.

Michael

10. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

In the last three games, DL got 8 minutes, 19 minutes and 7 minutes. That's probably the most he has gotten in his whole career except for the very end of last year. In those three games he has shot 5-11, including last night's 0-3. You can't tell anything by three games, but if he averaged those kind of numbers and played good defense, it would definately be good for the team.

However, it remains to be seen whether Rudy will give him the pt. I think Oscar Torres showed what he could when given minutes, but when his time got cut and became sporadic, so did his shot. Any player at any level needs to feel the security that his next missed shot will not mean he goes back to the bench. Any player plays better when relaxed and confident rather than nervous and hesitant. I feel if Rudy gives Dan 8-15 minutes consistently for the rest of the season, Dan will be relaxed and confidant and contribute to the team.

11. haven

haven Member

To replace the Bull on the court, all you need is a good 3pt shooter who plays smart basketball doesn't whine about playign time. Notice I said "on court." Most of us really like Bullard, but it's self-deceiving to think his skills aren't imminently replaceable.

on Langhi:

I think Langhi screwed himself in Rudy's book when he demanded a trade during the season. That was pretty lame for a guy who'd never shown a damned thing.

12. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Chances are earned, not given (unless you are a 1st round pick). Langhi isn't doing something right (practice habits, production, etc). Rudy has a habit of usually giving players opportunities so I would blame Langhi for his lack of PT not Rudy.

13. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Such an easy argument to make. How did Cato "earn" his playing time? Was it practice? All his hard work during the off season? I know, it was his production ! How about Walt? How did he earn all his playing time?

Yeah, Rudy does everything right by the book.

14. Michael19P

Michael19P Member

well, if I remember correctly last year and the years prior when we had Cato, he didn't get much PT. I think that this year he got his opportunity out of the process of elimination and out of the fact that we desperately need big men. So far this year, his numbers have been up. Therefore, this is why his minutes have gone up, and why i think we haven't more aggressively gone after another center.

Walt is best known for one thing: his shot. He used to get a lot of minutes because he had the capability of getting hot and going off at any time. If you remember, last year he didn't see action for quite sometime, and when he finally did, he blew up in that game and earned some more minutes. His shot has been off again this year and that is why we are seeing more of the other guys who can play his position get most of the minutes.

I am not sure what book you are talking about, but if it is the one that tells about how to win two championships and a gold medal then I would say he follows it pretty closely. Other than that, I think one thing he definitely can't be criticized for is giving players the chance to prove themselves. This is a rockets team that has seen contributions from guys like recasner, pig miller, and moochie norris (unknown really until the rockets acquired him) to name only a few. So I figure than Dan must not be doing something (or not doing) that justifies Rudy's decision.

Michael

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

To answer the question, is Rudy giving Langhi a chance.

No.

DaDakota

16. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

You could be right. We'll see.

17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's be a little accurate here. The reason Langhi was put in was to protect the front line (I think it was KT taken out, not sure there) from further foul trouble. Rudy has also done this with Tierre Brown and Moochie Norris, subbing for Steve.

As for Cato, he gets minutes because he's 6'11'', 260, and has the potential to be a good center, not to mention what we've invested. His fragile ego also affords him minutes.

Langhi has not shown to be a better player than Oscar or T-Mo, and barely looks like he's developed physically. Langhi has not shown a great deal of offensive prowess, either-he's not hitting shots he's supposed to hit. If it comes down to whomever can contribute more in ways other than scoring, Morris will win that head-to-head battle quite handily.

18. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Okay, I suppose you could be right on your first point. However, when was the last time Rudy did this with Langhi? How about never .

Langhi is 6'11" and has the potential to be a good forward. I have never ever heard of an NBA coach giving minutes to a player because of his fragile ego.

I agree Langhi has not shown to be better than Oscar or T-Mo. He would have to be given minutes before he could do this.

I honestly don't know how good Langhi can or will be. I do know that he is 6'11", has very good leaping ability, can handle the ball very well for someone that size and has a beautiful shooting stroke.

I also know his defense was suspect, but looked pretty good in the last game when I was purposefully watching it. Maybe that's why he has been getting a little playing time lately. Maybe not. I'm wondering if Rudy is really giving him a chance lately, or if this recent playing time is just some Rudy aberration.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well, he'd need minutes to show us what he's got. He's showing Rudy and the rest of the coaching staff what he can do all the time in practice. Probably, he hasn't gotten time on the floor this season because of what he's done in practice and got his recent minutes because of what he's done in practice (and because of all our injuries).

20. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

I get your point, Juan. I don't necessarily think that's an ironclad indictment of Langhi, however. You can't reasonably argue that Rudy is conventional in his rotations. Rudy played Matt Maloney big minutes and even more unconventionally signed him to an outrageous contract, considering he can't even catch on with another NBA team. Matt Bullard was a mainstay last year with the Rockets, yet can only get limited time with Charlotte. (I think he is on IR right now). Walt has really played poorly overall for the Rockets. His play with the Rockets has been to go crazy for one game, then shoot badly for a bunch of games, all the while playing matador defense.

Maybe he is looking better in practice. He should, he's been on the team a year and a half, now. Maybe if he played on another team, he would have gotten a lot more playing time last year and this year, both. Maybe if Oscar played on another team, he would be a starter by now. Maybe Langhi won't get any more playing time this year. Maybe he'll be starting by the end of the year. Nothing Rudy does surprises me.

#20 Moe, Feb 15, 2002
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2002