1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Parsons our long term answer at SF?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, May 3, 2014.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

This is not intended to disparage Parsons at all. He's a very good player and would be an asset to any team in the league, considering his Swiss Army knife like game.

My issue is fit. It seems that Love and Melo are our targets at PF. Both are offensive juggernauts, and both leave something to be desired on the defensive end.

Harden's issues are well chronicled. He can be an ok defender when he wants to be, but those moments are rare.

IMO, assuming we get one of Love or Melo, we need an excellent and versatile defensive player at small forward. Not above average or even good....excellent.

Parsons, who is an average defender at this point, will likely never be "excellent". His skills, while very valuable to this team on the offensive end, can probably be replaced by a point guard with a rounded skill set....long term, someone like Sergio Llull. And I don't think we can afford him as a bench player.

Still need to get that 3rd star, but regardless of who that is, I'm not convinced Parsons is our SF.

1 person likes this.
  2. Karolik

Karolik Member

If there's one thing this playoffs series has shown me, its that Parsons is expandable.

3. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Depends on the $ize and structure of his next contract.

4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I think he is.... Traditionally, SF is generally a glue guy that can defend and score when needed.... I think he fits perfectly with whats around him...

5. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

At the moment he still is.

6. Aleron

Aleron Member

probably not, no

7. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Yes if he can play his rookie season D. Otherwise, he's expandable.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

If he is expandable, then that means there's potential for him to develop his game more.

If he is expendable, then that means he is not worth keeping.

I think you some of you meant the latter. I tend to lean to the former.

9. JazzLakerHater

We have to upgrade the SF position. You cannot win a championship with Harden and Parsons starting together. They are too terrible on the defensive end and you obviously are not getting rid of Harden, so IMO Parsons has to go.

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

He fits perfectly with this offense. He's an average rebounder, passer, and shooter. Above average as a ball handler and driver.

He is not a good fit on the defensive end. Is he a bad defender? No. But he's surrounded by bad defenders (Harden and eventually Love/Melo) who are too good on the offensive end to replace.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That will be key. To be honest its funny that Ariza would fit better on this team as opposed to Parsons.

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Parsons and company got screwed on a couple calls.... I feel with a better coach he is stellar and moves very well to score. I have no idea why people hate on him so much, given most of his flaws are coaching related.

13. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Problem is he thinks he's better than he actually is. He's got us all fooled, trying to play for his next contract.

Why have we shipped out all our tough players from the past?

14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

True ... But I think his defense suffered because of Dwight's presence... I don't know why wing defenders think its a great idea to route the player they're guarding toward their big men... Move your feet and save the big men from potential foul trouble..... It's really just a lack of effort on Parson's behalf... Because he's shown prior to Dwight, that he successfullycan guard 2's and 3's...

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

Just a list of reasonable options for us:

1) Corey Brewer
    2) Trevor Ariza
    3) Michael Kid-Gilchrist

Probably outside our price range:

1) Kawhi Leonard
    2) Luol Deng

16. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

6'9' guys who can shoot, handle the ball in the open floor, and play perimeter defense are not "expendable"

17. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

he's not a seasoned vet and had a good playoffs. we need something good in return if he gets traded

18. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

$ for $ id take Parsons over all 5 of these guys.

19. leebigez

leebigez Member

Uh, you're suppose to funnell towards the help. The ring teams funneled everything towards Dream.

If parson isn't the answer,tell me who you're replacing him with. Batum and parson played even. Batum makes 12m per yr. Parsons will get no less than 10m.

20. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Seriously? Those 3 guys are garbage. No way would I want Ariza back as a Rocket.

The only guy I'd want back for Parsons is either Leonard or Batum. Parsons is too valuable to trade away, so yes I think he is our long term answer at SF.