1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is JJ Watt hurting the Texans defense?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ROXRAN, Oct 17, 2012.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Answer is an obvious no. It seems possible his superior production may have some unintended consequences. but hear me out...
    My daughter plays center defender on a fairly decent travel soccer team. Fall friendly record stands at 11-4-2 with 2 tournaments down and 2 more (one this weekend) to go till the season ends nov. 4th.
    When they play as a team, they can be dominant, We win, but every once in a while the team falls into what I call the KK show effect. Kaitlin is her actual name, but she prefers KK. She is the most dominant player that the other girls kind of stop doing their best effort, because KK makes plays, KK is going to score, KK will run back and help on defense..with unbelievable speed..so if the team wins, why should everyone dig in, when you can ALWAYS count on KK?

I kinda think that is what is going on with the defense. The disparity of sacks between JJ and the rest of the team is a joke! A complete effing joke. Just look at the numbers,.. Especially when JJ is getting near 100 percent double teaming, and even some triple teaming... Yet he is still playing like Godzilla, tearing sheet up, and being unstoppable and getting numbers. There is almost no doubt, Watt will take the season sacks record..already freaking 10 sacks and still 2 more games till halfway

But in this system, you are suppose to get it from the LB positions. In the words of the late kim jung-il of N.K. (Puppet,lol)..."Do something Arec Barwin!"

Where is everyone else at?, why is JJ so dominant? Why can't others be?
    I wonder...are they letting this be the JJ show because we are/were winning, and you can always count on JJ, or is the rest of the defense doing its best and helping make JJ look good?...
    I know no such thing as a good loss, but I am okay with it still being the JJ show as long as its not the only show...hopefully the other players on the defensive line realize they need to become part of the show rather than thinking a solo act is good enough...they need to be embarrassed they let this become a one man show...Turn it around, now! - not too late, but it has to NOW!

2. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

JJ is the only reason our defense is not average.

3. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Dont mean to be a jerk but i seriously stopped reading at "My daughter plays center defender on a fairly decent travel soccer team."

4. ROXRAN

I don't care. Bye

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You're asking why others can't be as dominant? Really?

The whole defense was pretty dominant last season. It seems to me that the rest of the league is better prepared this season, but Watt is on another level individually, which is why he's dominating anyway.
    I feel like he's timing his sacks. He knows when he's going to have a good shot and turns up the effort even more to make sure he gets it.That kind of effort, talent, and IQ is rare, which is why others can't do the same, not just on this team, but around the league.

And you've got to admit using a girls soccer team as an example isn't a good idea. Mentally, their focus won't be in the same galaxy as a pro athlete's.

6. ROXRAN

I guess my concern is maybe the rest of the defense feels as if they don't have to put everything into it if they can always count on Watt to be super and carry the defense as a whole. I hope that is not the case but it is human nature. I've seen it.

7. ROXRAN

It's human nature, that is the parallel. I'm not talking skill level or experience but human nature dictates we don't try as hard collectively unless we feel we absolutely have to....forget girls soccer, I've seen it from professional contractors...try paying them upfront compared to holding their money till the job is done right

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

/thread

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't really know what to say here. You think that because some girls on a soccer team slack off because someone else plays well that professional athletes will do so because they have a star on their team?

Has this plagued teams with Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers, Ray Lewis, Reggie White, Jerry Rice, etc?

10. ROXRAN

Thanks. You get it. The real answer...and like I said, winning is all that matters,..so if 1 person carries the team, then why do more?

11. ROXRAN

No . I am thinking of a parallel to explain why this collective bunch on defense can't all of a sudden do **** when one person can...

12. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Because the NFL stands for "Not for long" and they have scores and scores of film to review and will cut your ass if you do not produce. A billion dollar professional sports industry operates a little different and has completely different standards then amateur athletics.

I get what you were saying though, just doesn't work in a professional setting..

13. ROXRAN

Thanks.. Hopefully, the rest of the defense realizes this soon.

14. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'm gonna need pics of daughter before I can give my opinion.

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I HIGHLY doubt that the front seven is defering to JJ Watt. Barwin is in a contract year. Smith is aging and is a prime canidate to be cut or have his contract renegotiated. Brooks Reed, and Barwin for that matter, have a young and hungry Mercilus waiting behind them... The list could go on.

The notion that they would defer sacks and tackles to Watt and just 'watch' him dominate is actually kind of silly.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

lol armchairs.

17. David Stern

David Stern Member

Thank you. I thought CFs were slipping

18. Bleeding Red

Bleeding Red Member

Chron
    Actually it fuels the competition which make them work harder. At end of day, they all have pride and ego

19. ROXRAN

Look, I get what the premise is...if they don't do well then it costs them millions or maybe their job...but in the back of their minds it could be ..we are winning as a defense thanks mainly to JJ,..I'm part of this winning team... Due in large part to the defense..Why would they fock with that? I don't always have to bust a$$ for us to have success....

But true enough on what Joshfast stated, and my hope is that is the motivation for other on defense to show up besides JJ...

20. ROXRAN

I remember that quote..why is it not translating? If they can do better, then that is what I want, but it should be happening by now