1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

is it worth it to get a new modem for comcast

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pirc1, Jun 28, 2021.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I have a 300Mbps modem, which seems fine to me for videos, gaming, etc. Comcast say my current internet speed is 800 Mbps, should i spend the 150-200 to upgrade the modem? What difference would i notice if any?

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Don’t . **** Comcast, I just moved and they mandated I get a new modem and they don’t allow you to take your old equipment. Despite the guy reassuring me it was the same deal just found out I’m paying more

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  3. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

4. VanityHalfBlack

No do not get the upgrade.

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Buy your own modem. Screw paying them a monthly rental fee.

6. Asian Sensation

2021 and Comcast is still around? Why? How?

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You will notice a difference depending how much traffic is on your network.
    How many devices are streaming at the same time, or how many people are gaming at the same time. I have Gigspeed internet and bought my own modem (and routers). However, Comcast just upped by speed to 1200mbps. I would need a new modem to advantage of the extra 200mbps. Comcast is offering certain customers a "free" modem rental (one of their gateways) to go to 1200mbps. I think it is to expand their free wifi network. I have unlimited data also. I pay $110 a month for Gigspeed and Unlimited. Since we stream everything (no cable tv), make sense.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. I upgraded to that docsis 3.1 standard modem and it’s way better
    I bought my own on Amazon

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Did you just say ... “I don’t need it, but should I buy it.” How many other product purchases would you think this way about? :)

This is like saying, should I buy new clothes without trying them on ... I don’t really need them, but might love them.

I would downgrade my speed (and use savings on a new shirt) But maybe I first get a modem to test out and promise myself to return it if not impressed. Best Buy (and Comcast) have a full refund return policy.

Certainly I wouldn’t buy my own until I’m sure 800 won’t cost more now or later, certainly not without free testing. But then again, I use same strategy on clothes ... I won’t buy the “upgrade” until I’m absolutely sure I love it ... esp with free trying on. :D

#9 heypartner, Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You mean copper coax, right?

With multi channel bonding they still haven’t topped out internet speed. In many areas they have a monopoly on the fastest speed because fiber is expensive to deploy.

Fiber is finally being laid in my neighborhood so I’m hoping for a price war here when ATT flips the switch.

If you don’t think you need it, don’t get it.

CCity Zero likes this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I use the Xfinity modem because to me, it looks better than the other modems. More subtle. I hear the x6 is superior to the new x7 (white color).

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Only if you rent the modem from Comcast and purchase a monthly insurance protection plan.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Buy your own Docsis 3.1 modem.

Do not buy a modem/router combo (these things SUCK).

REEKO_HTOWN and CCity Zero like this.
  14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Wait, so you're paying for 800 but you're getting 300 due to the modem, do they offer a lower speed price/tier?

If not, just buy your own modem on sale (assuming they charge you a rental fee). As others have mentioned I wouldn't recommend renting/using their equipment, I think the whole share your internet with everyone that's a Comcast customer is silly, unless you get to sublease it, haha.

The jump in download speed won't be noticeable unless you download large apps with a SSD or have a lot of users on your network that all stream/dl large apps at the same time.

I mean what still sucks on cable is the upload speed for hosting/sending data - I'm sure your current modem is giving you the max upload of 20 they're probably going to give you.

I'd also recommend checking you're actually even getting the 300 by doing a speed test - both wired and wireless (especially since you're most likely using their equipment).

15. pirc1

I own the 300 Mbps modem. I was just think of do I need an upgrade (I will buy a newer modem) to take advantage of the 800 Mbps. I am on comcast because they are cheaper than the other provider. I pay 145 for phone, internet and cable, not too bad.

16. pirc1

Three or four person with three or four device streaming at same time. I was just wondering how much performance gain will there be as currently I don't have any noticeable lags for gaming or streaming. I suppose with the streaming getting more and more high quality, I might have to eventually get Giga modem.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You are less likely to encounter lag. Also, the quality of your router plays a part also. If you are streaming in 4k, then the extra bandwidth will help.

18. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Comcast added a 1.2 TB data limit so people who are streaming alot will go over and pay them extra fees.

I cancelled the TV since it was like 110$/month for me and went to youtube tv at $55/month

Definitely get your own modem/router combo then pay their monthly fee which was like $15 for me

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So you pay for internet and unlimited + youtube tv. How much savings is that really?

20. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

AT&T 4 lyfe. I hear fairly decen t hings about Comcast / Xfinity though.