1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it pretty much a given that we draft a sf?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by kidrock8, Mar 21, 2001.

1. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I know for sure I want a SF... Anyone know what SF free agent possiblities there are? Besides Finley...

I'm suddenly being intrigued by Richard Jefferson of Arizona... Looks to be a Shawn Marion clone... Provides excellent perimeter d... However, knowing Rudy he doesn't care, because Jefferson doesn't shoot that well from 3 pt land...

------------------
    "Awesome baby!"

Dick Vitale

2. AndyH3000

AndyH3000 New Member

Well....
    It does appear that the 3 spot is the most glaring weakness. I would personally go after Shareef Abdur-Rahim if nothing materializes in the draft. That's just me though.

------------------
    Live from Cary Quad
    Andy

3. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

What are you talking about?

With the Rockets nothing is given.

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion

4. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

True enough. But Rudy has been pretty consistent about getting people with 3-point range. I know that's certainly something I look at to see the chances of who the Rockets might draft. But then again, look at Rodrick Rhodes...

------------------

5. T_money

T_money Member

Ron Grizzard or Gerald Wallace!
    might be able to get them with the Bucks pick

------------------
    Chimmey chimmey what!!

6. win14me

win14me Contributing Member

Tarvis Williams?
    great stats anyway, outside of being 200 lbs

------------------

7. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

i say we go after the best available with our pick whether it be the lottery pick (13th assuming we dont make the playoffs) or our 20something pick (assuming that we do make it). I mean, look at what we could have had instead of Collier (Mo Peterson or Desmond Mason) We could have taken Courtney Alexander. I know they dont fir our need, but damn, who can honestly say Colier fits our needs better than those great athletes that went after him. At the very worst, we can trade them or someone else (Walt) and replace him with someone like mo peterson. I just dont understand why we draft for need. If we took anyone else besides collier, we wouldn't be in NEED of a SF.

------------------

Don't EVER underestimate the Heart of a CHAMPION!

8. a.k.a vince

a.k.a vince Member

Best possible player.

If you draft on position, well there are plenty of SF in the CBA.

You want a player who will be an asset to your oganization. In the long run, talented players always win out.

------------------

9. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I'm starting to get excited about the possibilities with this draft. I think we could pick up some good players with potential with the Milwaukee pick and the Dallas(?) via Orlando, particularly SF. I don't think Morris will drop all the way to the 20s, but he could. Richard Jefferson may move up if he comes out, partly because of his performance in today's win over MSU, but he could possibly go low 1st round, early 2nd round. Scouts don't say much about him.
    What's ironic is that we might actually have a shot at Woods now, since he's dropped so low. I don't think he'd drop as far as scouts say because he's still a tall center who can block shots. I think we'd have a shot at him if we're in the lottery.
    People say Battier will drop because he doesn't have a whole lot of upside, but I think with all the attention he's gotten, he'll go in the top 10. If Battier were available for the Rockets pick, I'd take him in a heartbeat. I don't know about Woods or Morris. It's hard not to get sucked in by media opinion, but the knock on those guys seems valid.

------------------

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jefferson's stock will rest on his height. If Porter and Pete Mickeal were both 2-3 inches taller, they would have been mid first round easy, instead of 2nd round.

If Jefferson is a legit 6'7'' he'll be in good shape. Some people fear he might be 6'5'' or so, shooting guard height, and he doesn't have the skills to play SG, since his jumpshot is shaky for an SF.

Morris' 4 turnovers yesterday didn't help him much.

------------------
    "That's been a lifelong dream of mine." -Vince Carter, after laying it in on a breakaway, much to the Vancouver crowd's displeasure.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited April 01, 2001).]