1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

is it just me....(sports radio rant)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by thacabbage, May 11, 2009.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

...or are the callers on local sports radio comprised from the lowest demographic of the sports-watching population?

i stopped listening ever since i moved from houston a few years ago, but every now and then, if the rockets/astros make a big move, i tune in online to hear what charlie palilo or matt jackson etc. have to say on the issue. i remembered this week why i don't miss listening to these shows anymore...

the calls are virtually an audio reading of the very worst posts from the GARM.

i tuned in for an hour each day after games 1 and 2 last week and 100% of the calls were pertaining to some league conspiracy against the rockets or other grossly exaggerated claims about the officiating. i tuned in today and the first caller suggested we offer yao to the lakers in exchange for kobe bryant after the season. he was dead serious. i turned it off.

i have the utmost respect for some of the hosts that have to tolerate the idiocy on a day to day basis. i would go berserk. of course, you could be kenny hand or rich lord and be a part of it yourself...

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I always turn the radio volume down to zero when somebody calls in.

I think call-ins are the stupid.

Most people are too nervous to properly articulate what they are trying to say, and others are just flat out morons.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Move Steve to the Two

Can Jeff Bagwell move back to Third (in 2005)

The Texans should sign [insert 35 year old just cut from his team because of bloated contract free agent here]

4. DaDream

DaDream Member

Rich Lord is a complete pompous A-hole.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

What kind of an idiot calls into a sportsradio station in the first place?

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Agree 100%.

I think SR callers are people that either too dumb or too old to use the internet to keep up with sports, so all of their sports knowledge is based off of what they see on Sportscenter, hear during game broadcasts, see on the local news sportscast, or of course, hear on sportsradio.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

"Ok, we got Dakota calling in from Austin, Dakota you're on..."

1 person likes this.
  8. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

zing!

9. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

the national shows are atleast palatable because the hosts monologue for the entire time and don't take any calls.

10. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

it doesnt mean their monologues are any good
    i prefer the idiocy of the local shows over whatever the national shows bring

11. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

If I had a nickel for every time I've turned off the radio in disgust because of some caller's unimaginable idiocy...

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I don't understand why the caller demographics are so... skewed.. on sports radio

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

makes sense.

I listened and called in when I was young--from about 1994-1997 or 1998. I guess things have changed a lot since then..?

14. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Except for the Rome show which has the absolute worst callers.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I didn't think anyone could be dumber than some of the people who call in to those shows, but yesterday at the game, there were 2 guys who beat the pants off of ALL of them. These two mouthbreathers, the ENTIRE game, were in a heated (LOUD) discussion about how Yao was completely overrated, and that all of his accomplishments were simply due to the fact that he was just tall, not skilled. I could ignore that for the most part because clearly these guys were idiots who knew nothing about basketball and were only at the game because we were doing well. But then, these same two idiots starting talking about the Texans, and how they were NEVER going to be successful because Mario Williams was just "ok", but that we REALLY blew it because we passed up on the chance to have the next Emmitt Smith....REGGIE BUSH. I thought I had hit a timewarp, and we were back in 2006. I thought that discussion had been squashed with a vengeance after the last 2 years, but apparently these are the two imbeciles who are responsible for it even being a relevant discussion still. One of the guys was even like, "Look, the Texans don't even have a quarterback they can count on, and Young was AVAILABLE FOR THEM.....I can't stand to watch that franchise. It's just too painful." I wish I could teach myself to projectile vomit, because if I could, I would have unleashed all over both of them.

16. Cbox

Cbox Member

I guess the dumb callers and conspirators are more entertaining than some randoms logical analysis. I'm sure all the people that call are not dumb, but the people who screen the calls just pick the odd ones.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Being in Dallas, I don't really listen to sports talk radio anymore because, well... it doesn't exist here to my knowledge.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The worst ones are the ones that call in so often that the host actually knows them by name. The ones that seriously think they are part of the show.

Regular talk show caller = someone who never gets laid

19. Landlord Landry

Yao for Stoudemaire. Tmac for Kobe. Sage for VY. awesome.

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Who's the Yankee from Dairy Ashford who calls non stop? I ALWAYS turn off the radio when that twit calls in.