1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is costo a good place to buy a computer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by peleincubus, Oct 18, 2008.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I have a costco card that gives 2% back on purchases so that is a plus. But Im not sure if there prices for a computer are good in general.

And also would it be a good idea to wait until the day after thanksgiving (not sure if costo has those black friday deals) or the holidays in general to get a better computer for my money. Its only a month or so away anyways.

Thanks for any advice ;)

2. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

I heard their unconditional warranty is nuts.

I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Cheapest? Probably not.

But the service is hard to beat.

3. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

If you're looking for a computer, this is a good place to ask. What's your budget and what do you want from it? A custom built computer can be more reliable/faster and is lighter on your wallet vs a Dell/HP etc.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

If you have any computer knowledge building one is always better. I just built a pc for a dude up in Dallas (UPS'ed it yesterday).

The PC from a vendor would have easily cost him around $3000, instead it cost $1600. (this is a top tier pc btw....)

Buying the parts is always cheaper, when you consider what the end product is.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

beside the normal looking around on the internet. i have a new canon 12.1 mega pixel camera that i want to mess around on photoshop with doing HDR images, etc. with.

and i will be using it to play some games. most notably left 4 dead and starcraft 2 when they come out.

i know i want to get a pretty large moniter since i dont have a tv at the moment. and i guess i dont really need a huge hard drive since i want to eventually get an external Terabyte one in the future.

i suppose my budget is around $1200-1500. im not sure if i want to build my own pc because i dont know much about putting it together (i know its not that hard but still) I do know someone though that could help me order what i need from tigerdirect or newegg and put it together if need be, i think those are the best priced places to get computer parts from.

is it really worth building your own computer? or do you not really save that much?

6. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

I build computers from time to time for myself and friends. My most recent one was just under 1k (not including monitor, mouse, keyboard, OS) and can run most games on highest settings. If you don't have the common paranoia associated with setting up your own computer, it's definitely the best and most cost effective solution. Like Uprising said, it could easily be half of what Vendors ask for.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

well i guess you anwsered my question as i was typing my post. so i guess i could get a pretty decent pc for around 1200-1300 then.

is what you built for your friend have the moniter included in that price?

8. Uprising

Dude, you really do save a lot. I have dual 8800GTS's 640mb cards, 4gbs of ram, and (older now) E6400 CPU. When I built this system, it was around $1200. (back when DDR2 800 Ram was expensive [first 2gb's cost me $200]).

I built this about 2 yrs ago. Still running games full graphics and all.

Hey, I have an extra 22inch Samsung 226BW 2mili-second response LCD monitor if your interested.

I used to run dual 22's, but since I've gone with SLI I no longer have use for the 2nd one. (When you have SLI you can't run 2 monitors at once).

Been thinking about getting rid of it, it hasn't been used much at all since it's sat here on my desk since January or so when I got it. I had it hooked up to an HD DVR for a little while and watched tv on it. But that's about it. It's such a sexy looking paper weight right now....kind of sad.

9. Uprising

Oh yeah, forgot to add. It really isn't hard to build. I guided (they didn't need much help) a few kids build their units this past month. I helped them online (teamspeak) put it together, mainly whenever they had a question I was there to help. It's not hard, neither of them had prior experience at building them.

If you want, you can send me or post the link to the shopping list to have it revised and commented on the choice or parts (it's what I did for them).

You really do save a bunch buying the parts from NE or TD sites, than going to stores. The only down side ofcourse is there isn't a tech support for the pc, but you do have tech support for your parts if you really need it.

The internet is really the only place you have to go to thought to get input.

10. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

I've been thinking about building another computer. What would you say it'd cost to build a new computer that's above average and just doing a bunch of hw on?

My current comp is 2.0 ghz and 2 gig DDR2 ram. I've had it for a few years now and I absolutely hate it. Where would you recommend getting the majority of the parts Uprising? Any particular online store or in-town store?

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

thanks for the info. yeah i will get back to you in a few weeks when i talk to my friend some more about building one (actually just called him he said he would help me put it together) 22in was about the size i was looking for.

12. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

HW!? :eek: ... ok I'll bite anyways.

The best price/performance curve imo is this setup:

E8400 Intel Core2Duo [$130], one of Asus 775 socket MB's (P5Q series probably most standard, and I'll go ahead and pick another on the curve - P5Q Pro [$120], 9600GT 512MB [$100], X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card [$90], Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 250 or 500 GB [$55-70], 4gb (2x2gb) DDR2 RAM [$50], 700W Power Supply [$80], Case (antec?) [$100].

And then you'll need ethernet card, mouse, keyboard, monitor, OS, speakers. Without those, this set up will be $800 bucks and run pretty much anything you throw at it.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Costco is good for computers, but what sucks is they make you buy 10 of them at the same time.

14. Mr. Brightside

You can't beat the rock bottom prices of Dell. Even friends of mine who build custom rigs, say for the average computer user a Dell is the best option if you are mainly looking at price.

You can get a quality Dell rig for about 500 bucks these days. Alot of times they throw in a free 20 inch LCD as well.

15. Uprising

I highly recomend NewEgg.com. I've done 98% or all of my electronic purchases from their website. Ranging from computer parts, to my LCD tv.

If you want to go "in town" route (Houston?) go to Fry's. It's the next best thing to buying online. (Newegg and Tigerdirect are the best sites). But NEVER...ever buy an opened or previously returned item from Fry's....

16. Uprising

Yeah, I'd be willing to get rid of it cheap. It's a top quality LCD. No ghosting for gaming, since it's 2ms response. It's just a waste sitting here, to tell you the truth. It's kind of sad seeing it sitting there.

Monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...W Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor

If you need help, it me up on my xfire some time if you have it. (it's in my sig).

#16 Uprising, Oct 19, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  17. Uprising

yeah, but those monitors are typically the 5-8+ms response monitors. Unless they've changed their ways, IIRC...>Dell is like compaq, in that they pretty much make it impossible for future upgrades.

Although, for the casual user Dell is a great buy for the most part.

18. Dei

Dei Member

Is ghosting noticeable on 8ms LCDs?

19. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Ethernet card isn't needed because most (pretty much all) motherboards have the ethernet built in.

The sound card is a waste of money if he doesn't have a proper set up to support it. If he's like most people with a 2.1 system, the onboard is good enough.

700 watt power supply is a waste on a 9600GT. For that rig, even a 450 watt power supply is sufficient.

The processor and motherboard is a good buy. The best bang for the buck cpu is the E8400 imo. They are great for OC.

20. Mr. Brightside

Isn't Directron cheaper than both Newegg and Fry's? Its also local so you can pick up.