1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IRT Melton, Morey already did his job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizkid83, Aug 31, 2018.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I like Melton, who I feel like have potential to be best player in this trade. He also might not.....

What's not deniable is that Morey already turned the 46th pick few months ago into an an asset that is being seen as the most valuable part of this deal.

He locked in his gains.

jsilencio, gatsby, B-Bob and 19 others like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

3. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Chriss very well maybe the best player in this trade when its all said and done. Gamble well take all day with the departure of rhyno

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yup.

We are all high on Melton, but if you step back and looks it’s clearly the Rockets who initially have taken more value out of this trade.

We swapped Anderson at 2/42 for Knight at 2/30, at the cost of a mid 2nd WHILE getting back a lotto big in Chriss who’s got 2 years left on his deal. If we would have gotten Daniels back as a filler instead of this would have been a much more fair deal IMO. I’m not sure how Morey had Chriss added in.

The development of either Melton or Chriss could swing the value on this deal wildly... but initially looking at it I think it was too good for Morey to pass up on.

I’m excited to see what we can do with Chriss, I think he was being misused in PHX, I feel like we will develop him as a center instead of a PF. Chriss has the size and defense to play C, and I can see him feasting off of CP3 and Harden with his athleticism.

5. Progs

Progs Member

You're right, Melton may turn out to be another Kyle Tucker, but I'm not a big fan of the return. Wait and see, I guess.

6. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Not that its amazing but one player we got was all rookie first team and the other was all rookie second team and they haven't been in the league forever. They might have a chance to improve in our system.

ArtV, Lawlruschang, amaru and 4 others like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun think we have the time to gamble on Chriss. Harden will be 31 or 32.

Looks promising but Chriss is way to young as a big (21 yrs).

I am not so sure what I think about the 15 million player Knight right now after his ACL condition.

Give it time, I guess.

Jontro likes this.
  8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Anytime you can trade a second-round pick who hasn't played a minute in the NBA and get value back, it's a win. CF just likes to overrate rookies who haven't played game action yet--the majority of the lottery ticket guys the GARM gets excited about flop and only play in garbage time. The Chandler Parsons (lol) and Patrick Beverleys of the world who turn out to be useful roleplayers are the exception, not the rule, and even then, they're interchangeable roleplayers, not irreplaceable superstars.

Essentially Morey is trading one gamble for another (which better fits the team) here. He's gambling Knight can get back to some percentage of what he once was and/or Chriss can develop better here with a change of scenery, in exchange for gambling that Melton can become a contributing roleplayer. I'm fine with it.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

i am saddened by the departure of flyin rhyno. he was integral to our playoffs success last season.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rip Van Jontro just waking up after a long 20 year nap :D

11. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

The return??? We unloaded a useless player making 40m over the next two seasons.

Basically we got two serviceable players for unloading Anderson and the 46th pick in the draft.
    That’s a steal!

You all are acting like we had real options for Ryno.

Baqui99, Cdub37, RockWest and 5 others like this.
  12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I don't see how this is much of a gamble.

You trade one well rounded 2nd round rookie for one extremely athletic big at 6'10" who can run the floor protect the rim and shoot the occasional 3. You're basically trading one young energy guy for another at this stage.

Knight and Anderson were basically terrible contracts being swapped so they're not really counted on as part of the meat and potatoes of the deal, besides the massive contracts in tow.

This is coming from a guy that just bet Melton would crack the rotation and play 50 games for the Rockets this season. I really hate losing him, but this is great value for a guy that can provide upside and much needed length/athleticsim to the frontcourt in Houston.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Did not say it wasn't decent, however still a questionable taste in mouth.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

FIFY.

deadlybulb, topfive and Os Trigonum like this.
  15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

No doubt that Morey created value out of thin air with a mid 2nd round pick. But I'd argue what he got for that asset was not better than just keeping him.

16. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

I like Morey but remember that he made this trade to rectify his previous mistake (signing Anderson in the first place). So I wouldn't give him too much credit for this deal.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Covered all the bases there.....

hakeem94 and topfive like this.
  18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Am I wrong :)

He is not the best player right now with the least body of work in the nba.

His summer league performance gave an indication that he could have a really good treajectory.

19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...except that there has been little correlation between summer league performance and NBA career trajectories.

roslolian, Reeko and hakeem94 like this.
  20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Rockets will win the NBA Championship....or they might not
    Astros will win the World Series....or they might not
    Lebron James will win 3 championships with the Lakers...or he might not

roslolian likes this.