1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ironic typo or glimpse of the future?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by acsorelle4, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

This from Yahoo Sports:

"The 76ers were trailing 76-66 with 1:41 left in the third quarter before they went on a 24-12 run. Rodney Carney’s(notes) basket with 9:30 to play gave the 76ers their first lead since the second quarter, and Iguodala later put the Rockets ahead for good."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2010020610

Personally, I am not 100% sold on this particular trade idea. However, I still thought this was funny.

2. Slimjim19

Slimjim19 Member

Lol, nice find.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8v9yUVgrmPY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8v9yUVgrmPY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I wish Alanis Morrisette knew the actual definition of irony. She doesn't use even one actual example of irony in the whole song, and I swear to god, an entire generation of Americans go with her view on what irony is.

And who knows. Maybe a few of them will actually read the actual definition if I list it here.

I⋅ro⋅ny1  [ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-]
    –noun, plural -nies.
    1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.
    2. Literature.
    a. a technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.
    b. (esp. in contemporary writing) a manner of organizing a work so as to give full expression to contradictory or complementary impulses, attitudes, etc., esp. as a means of indicating detachment from a subject, theme, or emotion.
    3. Socratic irony.
    4. dramatic irony.
    5. an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.
    6. the incongruity of this.
    7. an objectively sardonic style of speech or writing.
    8. an objectively or humorously sardonic utterance, disposition, quality, etc.

1 person likes this.
  5. startah

startah Member

great Eye :grin: .. maybe a premonition of sort..

6. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Man, I was having little chuckle. Now I want to kill myself. And my own personal Lumberg is in from Connecticut to bust my balls tomorrow. Thanks a lot Partypooper McKilljoy.

7. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

Welcome to Houston Iggy :rolleyes:
    So there you have it...A-B-C-D-P-G-C.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Its only because I love you.

9. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

Umm...that's the irony. She writes a song which presumably gives you the definition of the word irony but doesn't. You know, an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected. That is what is ironic. ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Its so ironic how my face looks like a human face.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

First, that's clever and I'd be lying if I said I had ever considered that. However, due to the fact I believe Alanis Morrisette to be pure evil (I have heard those terrible noises she calls music) and that I'm deeply disturbed that most of that album was written in a response to breaking up with Uncle Joey from "Full House" (cut. it. out!), I choose not to even consider it as a possibility. In this, sir, I myself will remain willfully ignorant.

Secondly, even were it true - I will never forgive her for tricking so many dumb people. Because I've literally heard people use verses from that song as an example when trying to define irony.

Also, I repped you.

12. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

LOL! This roller coaster of emotions is making my head spin.

13. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Alanis' definition seems like it falls in line with number 5 to me, or number 8.

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Do you watch Castle? He has a problem with everyone using irony incorrectly as well. :)

15. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

Man just bring someone in, I would love iggy he will proove himself here!

16. mic

mic Contributing Member

My boyfriend always complains about this when her song comes on the radio. :)

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Woah, I didn't even know #8 in the definition existed.

As for the song, the first few times I heard it, it did felt off due to her inappropriate use of irony. But After a while, the jingle simply got to me. And I never really thought about it.

But truthfully, does it really matter? Maybe the meaning of the word can simply change as the culture changes. Perhaps these days, it really is ironic if it's raining on your wedding day. :)

18. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Actually she does x2

It's a free ride when you've already paid
    A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break

Stop hatin on Alanis

19. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

Thanks for the rep. :)

And for the record, I am not a fan of Alanis Morrisette.

20. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Its happening!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.