1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

iPod Trouble

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jello77, Feb 12, 2005.

1. jello77

jello77 Member

okay, some backround info first--

i bought a 40 gig ipod last october. it worked perfect until this past january, where it started skipping songs. in the middle of the song it would either skip like a cd, or stop and skip to the next song. i figured maybe it was just going through some growing pains. however, it started to slow up when i tried to put songs on it through itunes. i took it to the apple store wehn i bought it, they told me it was probably a software problem and to update and restore the ipod. well, this news sucked because it meant i had to put all of the songs that were on tehre all over again(something like 30 gigs worth of songs), but i was like whatever, as long as it works again. well, it started screwing up so bad that i couldnt do anything at all with it. all i got was the 'files damaged' signal.

so i figured it was something wrong with that ipod's hard drive, i take it back to the store and they give me a new one. i have to put everything on tehre again, but that's okay with me, i'm just happy i have a working ipod. so for the last month it has been totally fine. until today. today i was cleaning the house and listening, when it started skipping again. first it only like stopped at some points of the songs, and then went on, so i figured it was gonna be ok. then, it would stop playing them completley. it just wouldnt play. so i forced reset it and it gave me the file damaged symbol. i'm like 'oh **** here we go again', but then i tried again and i got it to go on, and now its skipping again.

here are my thoughts. i take good care of it, (i have a case on it at all times) and it worked PERFECT until today. i didn't drop it or anything. i dont think its possible that i got ANOTHER defective one. the only possibilities is that either A) something is wrong with my comp(an apple laptop), B) something is wrong with the songs im putting on there, or C) something is wrong with my charger(the one that comes with the ipod).

the first two i think are not that likely, since the ipod was working completley fine and i havent so much as connected it to a comp to put music on since last week. i think it's possible that my charger is the problem, because yesterday it was working fine, i put it on the charger overnight and then this morning it starts screwing up. usually i just charge it on the compter, since its a hassle to take off the iskin everytime to put it on the charger(usually i just connect it to the computer and recharge it like that). i really, really dont want to have to take this one back too, as it is really far away and takes forever to put everything on there again.

help me, bbs.

2. jello77

jello77 Member

come on guys, does anyone at least know a link to a site that can help me cuz apple's site definetley cant.

3. Rockets Red Glare

4. HotRocket

HotRocket Member

My Ipod will do that sometimes too. Kinda strange that it's not just me. Usually I will have a playlist going and notice that it ends a little too early. I'll cycle through the songs and notice that sometimes it will stop on a song and then just goto the next. Sometimes I can press back and listen to it, but usually it just goes to the next song again.

5. UTweezer

UTweezer Member

when the file with the exclamation comes on,

1st, drain the battery until it turns off

2nd, flash the memory by pluggin the ipod directly into an outlet via adapter...

6. synergy

synergy Member

do you run or jog with your ipod?

7. PhiSlammaJamma

Environment - Cayman Islands killed my friends ipod. High probably the salty enviroment took it down. Not sure.

Jogging - Many mp3s have been lost to jogging (use the battery operated. They just seem to last longer)

Wrong file types - at least on old ipods, there were certain file types that caused problems. Just be careful what you load on there.

If the reboot doesn't fix your problem, you probably should just get it replaced.

The chargers have never been a problem for me, but obviously, if your ipod is not charged you're gonna have some issues.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

The CHARGERS won the AFC West, didn't they? Drew Brees killed us last season. :( Texans will win next time.